• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Views of other ski areas from a ski area

Greg

Staff member
Thought this might make for an interesting topic. List some ski areas that have views of other ski areas. Here's a few I can think of:
  • Bosquet from Jiminy Peak
  • Okemo from Ascutney
  • Killington from Ascutney
  • Snow from Haystack
  • Haystack from Snow
  • Ascutney from Killington (the peak is easily identifiable, but I don't remember if you can see the slopes)
Here are a few that I would think you could see, but can't confirm because either (1) I haven't been there or (2) I don't remember: MRG/Sugarbush, Saddleback/Sugarloaf, Stowe/Bolton/Smuggs...?

Any others?

ctenidae

You can see two from Sunapee. Someone told me they were Killington and Loon, but I have my doubts. They're in the right directions, but seem a little far to be able to see that well.

Greg

Staff member
ctenidae said:
You can see two from Sunapee. Someone told me they were Killington and Loon, but I have my doubts. They're in the right directions, but seem a little far to be able to see that well.
I might buy Killington, but Loon faces due North so that's doubtful IMO. Maybe Ragged or Tenney?

loafer89

From the red chairlift on Magic Mtn you can see Stratton, Bromley and I guess a part of Okemo?

From the Deer Run trail at Belleayre you can see Plattekill.

From Mtn Creek you can see Hidden Valley.

tree_skier

Assuming you are talking about seeing slopes and not just the mountain

K-mart, pokemo + Haystack from Mount Snow
Bromley, Magic + K-mart from stratton
Stratton, snow, magic, ascutney, sunapee, pico + ?? from k-mart

ctenidae

Yeah, I thought Loon faced the wrong way, too.
Anyway, seeing what the mountains are is always something I plan to do when I get home, then never do.
Kind of like planning to bring old gloves for carryng skis back to the car and a beverage (non-alcoholic, of course) for the ride home.
Never manage to remember either of those.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the top of the single chair at Mad River one can see the summit of Mt Ellen (which is a$$ ugly from that perspective with the Upper FIS looking like a giant clearcut). In reverse, one can only see a few small segments of trail.

Jay, Sugarbush, MRG, and on a good day Killington are all visible from the top of Burke. From Jay one can see Burke, which is cool. :spin:

ChileMass

From the top of Orford on a rare clear day you can see Sutton, Owl's Head and Jay. I also seem to recall being able to barely make out Mansfield and Smuggs on the backside. Plus the view of Lake Memphremagog is terrific, too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now that I think of it, we saw a rather large ski area complex due SOUTH the North Peak/main summit areas of Loon on the day that we were there. What were we looking at? The area was quite a ways south, so that narrows it to Ragged, Gunstock, and Mount Sunapee. :-?

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
From the Deer Run trail at Belleayre you can see Plattekill.

Are you talking about the old Deer Run or the new? I don't ski it often so I never noticed that. Where on the trail can you see Plattekill?

Also, from Whiteface you can see another resort. I don't know which one (is it Gore?).

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Now that I think of it, we saw a rather large ski area complex due SOUTH the North Peak/main summit areas of Loon on the day that we were there. What were we looking at? The area was quite a ways south, so that narrows it to Ragged, Gunstock, and Mount Sunapee. :-?
Waterville Valley? It's more like Southeast of Loon. Here's a topo:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4875729.00006064&e=292114.999868372&datum=nad83

Loon is top-left, WV is bottom-right. Possibly?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
Waterville Valley? It's more like Southeast of Loon. Here's a topo:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4875729.00006064&e=292114.999868372&datum=nad83

Loon is top-left, WV is bottom-right. Possibly?

Possibly....but the resort's shape is not the same as WV....WV also is angled to the NE. We saw a resort that was had a trail pattern that was more rectangular, as opposed to WV's diamond/spinning top shape.

Vortex

I should be help on this one but I'm not. If you look off slightly to right from top of Walking Boss you see Washington way in the distance. From the top of the Gondola looking straight out left of the Ponds you see Tenney I believe, and from top of the observation tower looking over the ponds you see Cannon.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
magic and stratton are viewable from bromley, iirc. i know magic definitely is. i still remember seeing magic from bromley and thinking what a fun place that area must be to ski. sure is. the trails looked so narrow and undefined compared to stratton that i had wondered if magic was even open at the time. i might have even saw it during their off years.

B

beswift

tree_skier said:
Assuming you are talking about seeing slopes and not just the mountain
All the views I cite in this post are views of slopes.
tree_skier said:
pico + ?? from k-mart
No.
thetrailboss said:
Distances from elevations are deceptive. You were looking at Mt. Sunapee prabably. Ragged faces S.S.W.

ctenidae said:
You can see Ascutney and Ragged from Sunapee. I suspect that was what you saw. As I remember Killington is viewable on a very clear day. Since I have skied almost every ski area in New England I pride myself on picking out the areas from the various peaks. It certainly can be confusing, expecially if you don't know the region well. I've flown over N.H. in a small plane and got lost once!!! Since I was up at Killington recently, I want to mark the areas one sees (I believe you can see the most from that peak). Ascutney is the clearest, a single monolith to the East Beyond that you can see Sunapee. Often you can pick out the Conn. R. valley by the band of fog or haze beyond Ascutney. Directly south of Bear Peak you can see a private area, Bear Creek Mtn. From there to the south the flattish Mtn. is Okemo. Then more to the S.W you can see three areas, Magic, Stratton and Mt. Snow. To the North if it is very clear, you can see the Sugarbush peaks, but I am not sure if you can discern the slopes. It was not that clear for me Wednesday. Ascutney offers good views of Okemo, Killington and the Manchester areas. Wildcat can be interesting because if you look East from the summit, you see Mt. Abram, Shawnee Peak and Lake Sebago which is at a high elevation. Sugarloaf offers a great view of Sunday River, but it is very hard to pick out. It is much lower than the loaf and you look over a vast Mountainous area. From Canon you can see Burke, the surrounding mountainous terrain, and Jay. I am not sure if you can see Balsams/Wilderness, though. From Jay you can see to Sugarbush and Stowe to the south, but the fun part is looking North into Canada to Orford, ect. At that point I tell people I took a Canadian trip. Burke offers the most panoramic views as their trails cover at least two thirds of the Mountain and the surrounding countryside is flatter up north. Since I spent a year in the Waitesfield/Warren area it was quite interesting to pick out the various trails at Sugarbush and MRG from there. You also see Mt. Mansfield (Stowe), Jay, Cannon, Bretton Woods and the Presidentials. From Sugarbush and MRG you can look across the Lake and see Whiteface. You can also see Killington and Stowe from there. Many of these areas offer views of Mt. Washington on the clearest days.

tree_skier

tree_skier said:
pico + ?? from k-mart
No.

From the top of superstar and the peak you can see the trails at the top of pico

ctenidae said:
You can see Ascutney and Ragged from Sunapee.

Unless you have x-ray vison you aren't seeing either ascutney or ragged from sunapee as ascutney is on the west side of the mountain and is west of sunapee and ragged is on the north side and is north of sunapee.

If you are talking about just seeing the mountain then the list can be very long, especially for k-mart and snow