• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe, Sugarbush 3/31-4/1

kingslug

GSS's trip report pretty much sums up the day, except the woods part. The 3 inches that fell really helped cover up the crust. We hit pretty much everything that was open and even went over top the Spruce side. Spruce was pretty good and almost totaly empty. Very few tracks except down below where all the kids where. Found some good bumps to play around in, and no fog to deal with. The fog really settled in over the main mountain which made negotiating the upper runs a little tough, especialy for my wife who has trouble in flat light. As I wrote before it was fun trying to keep up with GSS, damn fast skier he is. Wish I was a tree skier as he knows the place really well, but I'm not. Ended the day around 3:30 tired and happy.

Woke up too early for Sugarbush as we knew it would be frozen from the rain and low temps. The morning was tough, frozen mank. When the liftie said good luck...we knew. After taking several runs, stopping for a while then trying again my wife called it quits and took off for parts unknown. I stayed for the warmup, and it did warm up. best of all the rain held out. After talking to a patroller who just came off of Steins I decided to head into the bump runs. Birdland under the chair had some good ones, off camber, exposed rocks, pretty interesting. Made a few laps then headed down the Mall. This was a challenge, sticky snow, narrow, lift towers down the middle. Very tired but happy to make it down. Then off to Domino, much easier but still interesting. Hit pretty much everything that was open except Steins. I was thinking about it, then the rain came, Mrs Slug showed back up and I called it a day. Turns out she went exploring the Mad River area with our truck and found out how steep those roads are!!!
I really wish I had spent some time at Sugarbush earlier in the season. I can see why the mogul skiers like it so much. Definitely on the list for next season.

kingslug

I got one shot in the woods. Pounding snow does not make for good shots though. And no, he never used the word steeze. He's just a regular guy, just like us. I''l post a pic or 2, didn't tak too many.

BeanoNYC

I got one shot in the woods. Pounding snow does not make for good shots though. And no, he never used the word steeze. He's just a regular guy, just like us. I''l post a pic or 2, didn't tak too many.

I'm still waiting for him to jump into this thread. Slug...you stay at the same place as last time?

kingslug

I'm still waiting for him to jump into this thread. Slug...you stay at the same place as last time?

Nope, a much older one. I think the furniture and matresses where made from granite. Wish I could have gotten that last day in. Frozen groomers just didn't appeal to me though. Hunter next Sunday should be good.

Nope, a much older one. I think the furniture and matresses where made from granite. Wish I could have gotten that last day in. Frozen groomers just didn't appeal to me though. Hunter next Sunday should be good.

There's a good chance I'll be at Hunter next Saturday April 13th for their closing day..