• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Garmont Radium

awf170

Dear god do these things look awesome... hopefully I'll be able pick them up pretty cheaply next fall, I doubt it though. Need a replacement for my beat and too small mega-rides.

garmontradium.jpg

The Radium sports a tough, rockered and lugged sole that will keep you firmly planted while scrambling up rocky, windswept ridgelines. They are both Dynafit and A/T binding (Naxo/Fritschi/Silvretta) compatible. To complement the burly sole, the Radium includes the most flexible and natural-feeling walk mode of any backcountry ski boot I’ve ever worn. The upper cuff literally flexes fore and aft as well as any standard mountaineering boot on the market. Other than the lateral stiffness, these babies don’t feel like ski boots when in walk mode.
Not to fear, this doesn’t mean that they are noodles when clamped down into ski mode. Nope… they are as stiff as any true touring boot on the market. I’d put them just a bit stiffer than the Garmont Mega Ride overall due to the all-new shell design that has a single-piece lower wrap and upper tongue to ensure consistent flex and to add stiffness. They have a simplified forward lean that just locks you in at 24-degrees. No more mismatched forward lean woes!
http://www.feedthehabit.com/new-gear/garmont-radium-ski-mountaineering-boot-new-for-fall-2008/

http://www.wildsnow.com/?p=1024

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Lots of nice improvements there. The forward lean sounds better than the current lean on many of Garmonts models but I am a doubter that Garmont has improved their lean that much. My G-Rides are fine in walk mode for my needs, I don't need something that feels that much more natural in stride. I would rather have a better flex than a more natural walk mode in a slightly lighter package (ahhh, the ideal super light boot with alpine performance, the dream!). I am wary of how different the upper tongue is compared to current models. The weak tongue is Garmont boot's weakest link. Though the lower wrap looks nice.

Personally, I am most excited about the new Black Diamond lineup. From what I have seen, those boots are truly a major step forward in design whereas the Radium merely ups the ante. Next season should be good with all the new competition. It can only get better for consumers with more companies jumping in with bigger product lineups... first innovation.... and then the compeition resulting price drops. Can't wait.

awf170

Wow are the tecnicas the ugliest things I have ever seen in my life. Also check this out.

GRY.jpg

Weight: [Pair, size 27.5] 7lb 1oz (3200g) Recommended Use: Alpine touring, sidecountry yo-yo laps, backcountry baller statusBinding Compatibility: All AT bindings

No way that weight is right. Not even close.

"Backcountry baller status" that hasn't be the gayest thing I have ever heard in my life. I don't think I'd buy these boots just because of that.

Also, as far I can tell it doesn't take dynafits, Meaning it doesn't take all AT bindings.

I wonder how the BD boots are going to fit? Hopefully they have a skinny fit since they look quite awesome. So many options this fall, it is going to be a good time.

Hawkshot99

Wow are the tecnicas the ugliest things I have ever seen in my life. Also check this out.

GRY.jpg

No way that weight is right. Not even close.

"Backcountry baller status" that hasn't be the gayest thing I have ever heard in my life. I don't think I'd buy these boots just because of that.

Also, as far I can tell it doesn't take dynafits, Meaning it doesn't take all AT bindings.

I wonder how the BD boots are going to fit? Hopefully they have a skinny fit since they look quite awesome. So many options this fall, it is going to be a good time.

I like the look. Almost bought them in one of the Alpine versions.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

I am almost 100% certain the Agents don't do Dynafit so that is definitely downright incorrect. There are already a ton of skinny foot boots on the market thanks to the current AT models almost all coming out of Italy exclusively. I am hoping some of the new boots fit big foots like me.