• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - 4/5/08

skijay

Date Skied: 04/05/08 11:00 am to 4:00pm
Resort: Mount Snow
Conditions: snow from granular to cream of wheat consistency, light drizzle, to fog, breezy to sunshine and some clouds.
Trip Report:
Well I wanted to go to Ski Butternut today to come close to breaking even on my pass there. I read their site on Friday and they closed for the season. The weather prediction was for rain up in the Mt. Snow area for Saturday so I was going to play it by ear. I woke up Saturday morning here in CT and it was dry out and to my north I saw blue skies!

Driving up the temperature went from 56 to 37 by the time I got to the base area parking lot. It was misting out with a light breeze and foggy section from about ½ way up to the summit.

There were no lines at the Canyon Express or the Grand Summit Express. I did a couple of summit to bottom runs Lodge, Ledge, Standard and then the other side of the lift with trails that took me to Uncles and back to the lift.

North Face was the pick of the day. The snow was firmer here. It was like cream of wheat consistency, but the skis did not stick in it. I skied Olympic and Jaws, Plummet today. Jaws was fun, small bumps spaced out, just my style.

I decided to do some more summit to base runs around 3:00 pm. The snow on the main mountain became heavier and wetter towards the base. The sun was out at this time.

I enjoyed today and do hope to make it one more Saturday. Judging by the amount of snow, they should be open for another couple of weeks if not longer.

I took a picture of Jaws:

0405081511.jpg

and

0405081511a.jpg

drjeff

Was a good day indeed. The cloud layer finally lifted off the summit around 4:30ish, while too late for skiing riding, it did give me some nice views of the mountain/sunset from my back deck as I was grilling some steaks last night ;)

Sunday, so far, better in some respects, no as good in others. Better, in that while the cloud is back, it hasn't made it as far down the mountain as yesterday, and it's a much drier cloud than yesterday! Not as good in that the temps dropped into the 20's last night and set all of that "cream of wheat" snow up. What they groomed is firm and smooth, what they didn't groom, lets just say is a mighty bumpy ride so far this AM. As of my lunch break, things are taking a while to soften alsp. Base temp is maybe 35/36, freeze line is maybe 1/2 way up the mountain with a decent breeeze out of the East thats in your face as you're heading down. Basically, Mount Snow right now needs either a) another 5 or 6 degrees of warm up, or b) the sun to come out. I'm holding out for the sun as someone I justed talked to in the base lodge drove over from Albany said his ride was sunny and clear all the way until Bennington.

The snow is deep, and they're not loosing alot today, thats for sure. Plus the park rats decided to have an unoffical "gaper day" and some of the outfits they've got going are histerical - the cross dressed "woman" in the tight, shiny 1 piece, fur lined black out fit with "her" ample chest preventing the top of the 1 piece from being ziped closed and the mid back length wig under the helmet, all the while skiing on snowblades is quite the site! I'll try and get a pic or two if I come across he/she after my lunch break!

Wow it's sweet that the snow is being preserved by the cool temperatures at Mount Snow..Let winter survive some more..

YEsterday at Stowe was also an unoffical gaper fools day since it was the first weekend day after April Fools..lots of fanny packs, neon, straight skis, and headbands..lol..and one woman with a badonkadonk butt in stretch pants right in front of me in the quad line...Shazam..