• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon, NH: 10.06.02

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Date(s) Hiked: October 6, 2002
Trails(s) Hiked: Kinsman Ridge Trail
Total Distance: 4 Miles (RT)
Difficulty: Moderate
Conditions: Wet, slick, and muddy down low - Dry and clear up top
Special Required Equipment: Layers

Trip Report: Perhaps my last hike of the season since K-Mart just began blowing snow tonight! Kinsman Ridge Trail is just an ugly beast of a trail. The elevation gain, milage, and steepness are all no problem... it's actually a fairly short hike with nothing too steep. The trail itself is just in aweful condition. This is nothing that trail crews can fix at this point either. Errosion has taken it's toll, and many parts of the trail are actually streams. Considering the dry summer and no major rain storms recently, it was amazing how much moisture this trail still retained.

Cannon Cliffs Outlook provides my new favorite view of the Franconia Ridge. Up close and personal! Cannon summit was mobbed as can be expected on a wonderful Sunday afternoon during foliage season. Regarding foliage, VT side of Kinsman Ridge was near peaking it looked like. Lots and lots of Red on that side of the Ridge. Kinsman Ridge, Franconia Ridge, and points east had some yellows and oranges, nothing spectacular.

Can't wait to ski the Tramline Trail they just cut! Damn, pictures can't even begin to describe what this MoFo looks like. Speaking of pictures, I took some and you can find them HERE!