• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Exclamation New Policy: Lift Ticket Voucher Sales No Longer Allowed

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
If the voucher is not transferable then it's not cool to offer it to anybody, free or otherwise. I think there is some confusion among posters between vouchers and discount tickets. For example a corporate discount ticket is a lift ticket purchased by a company at a severly discounted rate and is only to be used by an employee of that company. Selling it or giving it away for free is not cool both for the resort or the company that purchased them.

hammer

what about freebies (vouchers I can't use)?
the way greg's statement is worded, free is still OK.
yes?
The way I read it, OK but discouraged...:-?

In a way, I can understand where this policy is coming from...most purchased vouchers are not transferrable so reselling them is usually a no-no. It seems that this policy, however, has more to do with maintaining good relations with ski areas than with preventing violations of voucher re-sales (which are the responsibility of the seller and buyer IMO).

I have mixed feelings about this policy, but I can live with it...I never want to buy vouchers I can't use, and the one time I tried to sell discount vouchers I ended up using them myself anyway.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The way I read it, free is okay, but to be done in private. I'm not quite sure how that will work. PM several members to guage interest?

wa-loaf

The way I read it, free is okay, but to be done in private. I'm not quite sure how that will work. PM several members to guage interest?

Might work better if you are looking for a voucher to post a wanted thread and those with vouchers can PM the needy.

wa-loaf

What if I have a voucher that the ski area wants me to give away .. like Ragged gave me this year for being a pass holder? Same deal I have to do it privately?

Rereading the policy it sounds like anything free is ok.

Greg

Staff member
Rereading the policy it sounds like anything free is ok.

Yes, free is okay. I guess if you've spent enough time here, you probably have a feel for what areas most other members ski or can get to. PM them and offer it. If you can't unload the voucher, you can start a thread indicating it's available for free.

Greg

Staff member
It's posted next to the receipt checking policy when you exit Best Buy. :razz:

:lol: ;)

Yeah, really. Sorry for the censorship and infringing on everyone's civil rights... ;)

BeanoNYC

It's posted next to the receipt checking policy when you exit Best Buy. :razz:

:lol: ;)

Dumbass ;) :beer:

Yeah, really. Sorry for the censorship and infringing on everyone's civil rights... ;)

Doesn't bother me none. I agreed to AZ rules when I became a member. I think it's a prudent move on your part. There's always craigslist...

Greg

Staff member
If the voucher is not transferable then it's not cool to offer it to anybody, free or otherwise. I think there is some confusion among posters between vouchers and discount tickets. For example a corporate discount ticket is a lift ticket purchased by a company at a severly discounted rate and is only to be used by an employee of that company. Selling it or giving it away for free is not cool both for the resort or the company that purchased them.

Yes, free is okay. I guess if you've spent enough time here, you probably have a feel for what areas most other members ski or can get to. PM them and offer it. If you can't unload the voucher, you can start a thread indicating it's available for free.

Yeah, I should clarify. As long as the voucher doesn't say it's non-transferable, it's cool to offer for free. Not that we could ever control that, but...

AdironRider

I dont get why the non-transferable thing is such a big deal here. Theyre vouchers, people sell/transfer them all the time. I can see how the mtns that support this site wouldnt be to keen on people selling their free vouchers, but at the same time they need to understand that by giving them out, they really cant control it that well otherwise. I would think this risk was assumed when they printed/handed them out in the first place.

Greg

Staff member
I dont get why the non-transferable thing is such a big deal here. Theyre vouchers, people sell/transfer them all the time. I can see how the mtns that support this site wouldnt be to keen on people selling their free vouchers, but at the same time they need to understand that by giving them out, they really cant control it that well otherwise. I would think this risk was assumed when they printed/handed them out in the first place.

Well like I said initially, we have worked hard to build strong relationships with many ski areas. I personally appreciate the reps' presence and the information they provide here. This is something they don't look favorably on and I feel obligated to respect that. If that makes me a sell-out in the eyes of some, that's fine with me.

Personally, I do feel a voucher that is used holds more value than one that is tossed in the trash. Perhaps the person using it wouldn't have tried a ski area otherwise, or maybe they bring a buddy that buys a lift ticket, or they talk it up on here after having a good time. Still, I have to honor the requests to not facilitate something the ski areas discourage.

Killington, Mount Snow..and BTW I think Gregs decision to not allow vouchers to be sold/given away here is a bunch of BS. I would have never received my Belleayre voucher that I'm planning on using this weekend if not for a post in the thread. If a voucher goes un-used that's one less skier visit..one less person posting a report about a ski day..one less person buying overpriced food and drink at a resort...one less person bringing a friend who pays full price...Yeah it's steezy that people from the resorts are on here with press releases and stuff but the internet is about the customers..ya heard..

AdironRider

I agree. Its really a stupid policy considering it only brings more people to the slopes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When was the last time a person was asked to show ID to redeem a voucher???

You had to for the vouchers given out for the Warren Miller films. You printed the vouchers off from a website where you had to enter your ID number. Then when you redeemed the ticket at the resort, they matched the voucher to your license.

I guess there used to be a real problem with some people going to as many films as they could and selling off all the vouchers.