• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski binding lifter plate question

DEVO

OK, so I just picked up some Volant Machete Soul's and Salomon s810 ti Axe+ bindings. The skis come mounted with a 12mm plate, and the bindings come with the taller Axe + plates (10mm at the toe and 28.5mm at the heel, I believe). They were mounted with the Salomon plates on top of the Volant plates.

Now, I have never skied with lifter plated before. This setup looks REALLY tall to me. Most poeple I have talked to said that this setup should be ok, but I am not sure. Is this setup going to be too tall? I am not racing. Most of my skiing is in bounds with some out of bounds. We ski alot at Attitash and most of the time I am making a mix of longer and shorter radius turns. Thanks!

DEVO

Also, I have a pair of older Salomon Driver 997 carbon bindings I could also use on these skis. No lifter plate at all on those. What do people think about using older bindings on new skis? These are in good shape and are indemnified.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If anything, the lifters will help you out a lot by making the ski more responsive and easier to turn, which was I believe the reason for the technology. Give them a try. :wink:

DEVO

Well, this is a lifter plate on top of another plate. I don't want to be so high that the ski is only good on groomer and terrible for anything else.

thetrailboss

Staff member
DEVO said:
Well, this is a lifter plate on top of another plate. I don't want to be so high that the ski is only good on groomer and terrible for anything else.

I'm not sure that this would necessarily be the case. You should ask someone at a shop...the ski will be more responsive in all conditions I believe.