• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skibum9995 hikes the AT

skibum9995

I have made it just over 100 miles to Franklin, NC where I am spending the night tonight. It started snowing yesterday afternoon and is still snowing now, but nothing is accumulating. The Trail has been a ton of fun so far, having a blast.

danny p

Awesome. hope you have good luck, good weather and good times. i also hope you keep posting when you can, AT has always been a big interest of mine, love hearing the stories.

Greg

Staff member
This is so cool. Please keep posting updates.

Nice..are there internet cafes along the App Trail or are you posting from your IPhone..I would seriously join you for a day or two when you get to eastern Pennsylvania...and I'm sure other AZers would keep you company as well..I'm jealous that you can go so long without work or being in the rat race..

thaller1

Wow!! Great job SB - you'll be in tip top shape when we hit the slopes at the Nationals next year! :)

Good luck, I wish you great weather and good memories to last a life time!

T

skibum9995

I'm now in Hot Spings, NC just north of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It's been raining the past few days but I've managed to stay dry. The Smokys were awesome, great terrain and views.

We did a 26 mile day Sunday, with 23 of those miles after 3:00 PM due to some trail magic. This guy was set up at a road with tons of food and we stayed for hours eating as much as possible. Got into town at 1:45 AM and set up in the rain. Spent tons of money in this town so far, 8 hours at the bar draining pitchers yeaterday. Headed back to the trail tomorrow, having a great time.

danny p

awesome...keep the reports coming. i can imagine reaching a place with beer and food is like reaching an oasis in a desert.

I'm now in Hot Spings, NC just north of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It's been raining the past few days but I've managed to stay dry. The Smokys were awesome, great terrain and views.

We did a 26 mile day Sunday, with 23 of those miles after 3:00 PM due to some trail magic. This guy was set up at a road with tons of food and we stayed for hours eating as much as possible. Got into town at 1:45 AM and set up in the rain. Spent tons of money in this town so far, 8 hours at the bar draining pitchers yeaterday. Headed back to the trail tomorrow, having a great time.

Wow that sounds awesome..26 miles in a day..sheesh..I know I did 14 miles once and that was a ton..

bigbog

AT...

Sounds great SB...just $.01 worth to keep in mind...try to make it up to Katahdin before October. Weather conditions can often be pretty cold in October up here...even before you start climbing....then add in the difference in temps & windchill with elevation.
Hope everything goes well.......

$.01

skibum9995

I am now in Glasgow, VA, about 800 miles into the trip, heading into Shenandoah in a few days. It's been crazy hot lately, taking it easy.

cbcbd

Awesome work man, keep it up and keep cool... its going to be warm for some time.

Skier75

Good job! Keep it up, but try to stay cool, I know that's gotta be hard, especially where you are now. Right know up in NH, this weekend has been hot and is supposed to stay that way for a few days, but it's NE give it a few days, that'll change.