• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Willey & Field - April 27, 2008

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 04/27/2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Ethan Pond, Willey Range, Avalon Trail

Total Distance: approx. 7.7 with side trip to Ripley Falls

Difficulty: difficult as of yesterday

Conditions: not bad low, a little bit of mud & snow on the spur trail to Ripley Falls, could bareboot it over mud & snow a bit beyond the Ethan Pond/Willey Range junction but after that a lot of snow, some bare spots, "the monorail" is getting narrow & hard to stay on. Almost went back down Willey as we had just about given up finding Willey range a couple of hundred yards from Willey's summit on the way to Field but eventually we found it (more later)

Special Required Equipment: aa sense of humor, good route finding skills or luck, snowshoes essential, crampons helpful some on the way up Willey, raincoat & determination. Not time for spring footwear yet.

Trip Report: - getting up Willey was hard, rotting snow & a few bare spots made gear choice a pain. I went without traction of floation up to Willey while Mike E used snowshoes at one point & crampons at another. It was a pain no matter what you had. On top of Willey we put snowshoes on (we should have waited 50 feet & added them on the bare ledge just west of the summit) A couple of 100 yards away, the trail is hard to find. - see prior trail condition reports. After adding our sets of tracks over the area, we decided to take five more minutes to try & find the trail before heading back the way we came. We were really dreading that but after falling in three spruce traps in the first two minutes I was almost ready to go back. The thought of descending Willey though was too much so I took the full five minutes & found the trail.

On the ridge & descending Field, snowshoes were the right choice. Fed a gray jay on Field & left the snowshoes on until the higher crossing below the junction with the A-Z trail. Water crossings were full but not too bad.

Willey was my 48th 4k in three different seasons. Oddly I have yet to do the 48 in a season. Next hike hopefully will be Wildcats which would finish the 48 in Spring. if there's too much snow I'm hiking elsewhere though!

Mike P. & Mike E

mapaggioli4000@comcast.net