• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A quick concussion story

2knees

So last thursday was the first game for our softball team. I was relegated to dh'ing as i'm nursing some lingering injuries from ski season. Primarily a disfigured thumb on my glove hand. So i'm up at bat in the 7th with our team up 5 runs. I hit a double and my teammates start yelling for me to get a pinch runner. Yeah, i'm that fast. I'm so fast that when i'm running, if my hat falls off, it lands in front of me. But whatever, i waved them off and jokingly told them to dial 911 now so that i could be carted off the field in case i had to run some more. No sooner are the words out of my mouth when the next batter lines a single to left field. I started limping/rumbling/crawling to 3rd and our coach waves me home. Great. so i'm just about to toss my lung as i cross home when WHAM. I take the relay from the 3rd baseman right to the base of my skull. My arms and legs immediately go numb and i just blacked out and collapsed on home plate.

As i start to come to, i realize people are in my face yelling and stuff but i can neither hear them nor can i move my arms and legs. Shortly thereafter, i feel some intense tingling in my feet then hands and eventually i can at least move my limbs. sure enough, an ambulance and a freakin fire truck show up. they put me in the neck collar and put me on a board and away i go. No breaks or bleeding just the scariest 5 minutes or so of my life. And a headache that i wouldnt wish on anyone. pretty messed up shit. but now i'm just gettin killed cause, well, thats what my friends do.

deadheadskier

Staff member
maybe wear your ski helmet next game?? :lol:

kidding...glad you're okay and hope the concussion isn't too severe

jack97

Damn that is scary shitz, hows the knoggin doing now?

2knees

oh i'm fine now. I thought some might get a chuckle out of it. Its rather embarrassing to have an ambulance and a fire truck show up to haul your old carcass off of a softball field. When i came into work today, one of the guys from my company who also plays on my team had bubble wrapped everything in my office to make it safe. And he left a football helmet on my chair.

cbcbd

I don't see how being old and getting hit on the back of the head with a fast flying object are related.
I don't understand what to be embarrassed about... you got hit on the head with a softball.
Am I missing something here?

roark

bummer, I always worry about getting hurt playing ball. seems much more likely to happen to me than skiing.

glad you're ok.

Hawkshot99

I don't see how being old and getting hit on the back of the head with a fast flying object are related.
I don't understand what to be embarrassed about... you got hit on the head with a softball.
Am I missing something here?

If he was not so slow, he would have crossed long before the throw.:lol:

cbcbd

If he was not so slow, he would have crossed long before the throw.:lol:
Aaah, ok...
And I thought here that bump skiers were in really good shape ;)

A turn-earner probably threw the ball at your head, wasn't it? :D

powbmps

Probably better off staying undercover until the snow falls. The world is a dangerous place for old folk ;-).

But really, that's pretty scary. Glad you're okay.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I played for a couple of years in a co-ed beer ball league in Stowe and I actually was surprised I didn't see more injuries, especially with the amount of beer we drank.

I especially always thought it took a lot of balls to pitch in a slow pitch league given how close the mound was to home plate.

Greg

Staff member
I got a concussion once while riding a three wheeler as a teenager. There was a large partially downed oak tree that I used to duck and ride under probably hundreds of times. To this day I don't know if I just didn't duck enough, or whether it dropped on me. Anyway, wham! All I recall was a loud bang in my helmet. No pain or anything. Somehow I slowly rode back to my house and when I got home, I discovered nobody was there! I guess I made the decision to call 911 myself. I remember the ambulance coming and then I blacked out for probably the next 12 hours. I do not remember the hospital at all to this day. My next memory was my mother waking me up a few times at night. I was exhausted the next day and spent the next three in a bit of a fog. My mom is convinced my math skills started to suffer after that accident. :lol: :razz:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Pic from my last concussion:

normal_P3190022.JPG

Hawkshot99

I received many concussions as a kid. Hockey and backyard football were brutal.

When I was playing hockey I got hit so hard from behind into the boards that I deformed the shape of my face mask on impact.:-o