Augusta Maine - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Augusta Maine

Thanks Michael I will be on tumbledown this summer rod in hand!!
    The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

I'd like to expand on Wa-loaf's suggestion of the Rome Hills, just west of the Belgrade Lakes, for hikes closer to home. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...7crome%7cme%7c There are 6 or 7 small mountains over 1100 feet, lovely brooks and undeveloped ponds. Well, it's many years since I hiked there but I expect it's still pretty unspoiled. Don't know who decided to rename them the "Kennebec Highlands."

Quote Originally Posted by Mapnut View Post
    I'd like to expand on Wa-loaf's suggestion of the Rome Hills, just west of the Belgrade Lakes, for hikes closer to home. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...7crome%7cme%7c There are 6 or 7 small mountains over 1100 feet, lovely brooks and undeveloped ponds. Well, it's many years since I hiked there but I expect it's still pretty unspoiled. Don't know who decided to rename them the "Kennebec Highlands."
    That's generally the area I was talking about. I used Mt Philip as an example since I had a picture. The BRCA has been working to buy up land and has been cutting and cleaning up the trails in that whole area. They're the ones who named it Kennebec Highlands. The trails can also be used year round for xc skiing and snowshoeing. Not sure if they allow snowmobiles. If you join the organization they'll give you a map of all the trails, although you may be able to buy the map in some of the local shops (Days store in Belgrade Lakes maybe?). Don't forget to go cool off in the lake after your hike.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

On both Terraserver and Google Earth it looks like the whole summit ridge of Vienna Mountain was cleared, and a road put in, but nothing was built from 1997 until whenever the Google Earth image was taken. Anybody know what that was, a housing development that went bust maybe?

I am gonna google kennebec highlands right now I think I'll have some time to head over there on friday morning so I'll let you all know how we do.
    The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

I have never hiked that area so i cant offer any suggestions but i would be curious how you are finding the augusta area?
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

I actually really like it here. There are issues with economy and such but there are a ton of lakes, the western mountains are close and the coast is also just a short drive away. I am in a small town about 10 miles west of augusta and we bought a little house just a couple of blocks from maranacook lake and so I am really happy. I just moved from dallas though so anything would seem awsome compared to that.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

Thanks for the suggestions, had a great little hike the other day. Will be back there soon
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

Quote Originally Posted by Altaskibum View Post
    Thanks Michael I will be on tumbledown this summer rod in hand!!
    That sounds dirty..lol

Thread Information