• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Augusta Maine

Altaskibum

Hey all I just moved Just outside of augusta maine and I am interested in taking some short hikes with my wife. We are both in pretty good shape but we are limited by time because of childcare issues. Anyway I am just looking for a fairly short climb hopefully with a view at the top. Any ideas? Any help would be great.

wa-loaf

There's some nice hikes in the Belgrade lakes. Mt Phillip in Rome gives you a few good views of Great Pond. You can find more info on hikes in the area here: http://www.belgradelakes.org/

And if you want to drive about an hour you can get to Camden which has some really nice hikes with views of the Atlantic.

wa-loaf

Mt Phillip:

mtphillip.jpg

Camden:

camden.jpg

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Tumbledown is only about 90 minutes away in Weld. Here's a map. There are many easy hike options, and a beautiful high mountain pond with lots of open ledges for swimming and sunning. Plenty of trails to do anything from a short up-and-back to a long loop.

When/if you can swing slightly longer trips, you're in a great position for a straight 2-hour shot up to the Carabassett Valley, where Sugarloaf ski area is. There are some gorgeous hikes up there, such as the Bigelows. You're also not too far from either Baxter or Acadia, also wonderful options, but neither of which is suitable for just a day trip. Places to keep in mind for the future :)

wa-loaf

Acadia is an excellent place if you want to take the kids with you. Hundreds of short hikes of all types, most with views and plenty to do in town if the kids aren't up for hiking or the weather doesn't cooperate. It's about a 2 hr drive from Augusta, so you can do it in a day if you want, but there are plenty of campgrounds and cabin rentals too if you want to spend a few days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I HIGHLY recommend Popham Beach or Reid State Park over by Grey. No major elevation climbs, but definitely the two most beautiful places I've walked around in Maine.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Get yourself the Maine Atlas and Gazetteer in addition to having a large list of hikes it contains topo maps of the entire state. Popham Beach is awesome. Less than an hour is Bradbury Mt and Wolfneck State Park. Bradbury is a couple of miles up the road from my place in Cumberland, not much of a mountain, takes about 10/15 min to hike it but has a pretty good view of the coastline. Wolfneck is on the coast in Freeport, like Popham, no elevation but really nice hiking. We always buy a family state park pass.

While there are not many lakes in Texas, Maine has a ton of lakes. My kids don't like the ocean so that's a good thing. :D

Last edited:

Mike P.

I'm thinking the Camden Hills would also be nice. Do get a DeLorne Gazetteer for ME, this will help you find many local hikes & they also cover the logging roads too.

Altaskibum

Thanks all. Great suggestions. Delormes Atlas is awsome!!! I'll definately check out belgrade. Also I need to hike around camden, I love that town. How long of a hike is tumbledown and does the pond hold trout? I also love to flyfish so if I can combine hiking and flyfishing that is the ultimate in great trips. If I were to hike the bigelows from one end to the other, how long would that take? I have always wanted to do that but have been too lazy.

ps. ski resort observer, there are actually a lot of lakes in texas especially around dallas. but they are all man made and the color of split pea soup and filled with cotton mouth snakes.... Boy am I glad to be back in Maine!!!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Looking at my GPS trace on the topo map, looks like Tumbledown was 1.9 miles and 1400' from the car to the pond. Took us about 80 minutes to get there.

I found this information on the pond:
Area - 9 acres
Temperatures:
Surface - 67°F
20 feet - 63°F
Maximum depth - 22 feet

Principal fishery: Brook trout

Tumbledown Pond is located high between Little Jackson and Tumbledown Mountains. Small springs enter from all sides of the pond. Its outlet, Tumbledown Brook, flows south into West Brook and eventually Webb Lake. The pond’s shoreline is undeveloped.

Water quality in Tumbledown Pond is good for coldwater gamefish. The pond lacks spawning and nursery habitat, so a brook trout fishery is maintained through annual stockings. Trout growth is good with no competition from other fish species.

Tumbledown Pond is accessible via a number of foot trails reach from the Byron Road. The pond is open to fishing with no live fish as bait in the summer and closed to ice fishing.

Surveyed - August, 1966
Resurveyed - 1996
(Revised - 1985, 1998)
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
Funded in part by the Federal Aid in Restoration Act under
Federal Project F-28-P

Mapnut

I'd like to expand on Wa-loaf's suggestion of the Rome Hills, just west of the Belgrade Lakes, for hikes closer to home. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=14&Z=19&X=134&Y=1541&W=3&qs=|rome|me| There are 6 or 7 small mountains over 1100 feet, lovely brooks and undeveloped ponds. Well, it's many years since I hiked there but I expect it's still pretty unspoiled. Don't know who decided to rename them the "Kennebec Highlands."

wa-loaf

I'd like to expand on Wa-loaf's suggestion of the Rome Hills, just west of the Belgrade Lakes, for hikes closer to home. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=14&Z=19&X=134&Y=1541&W=3&qs=|rome|me| There are 6 or 7 small mountains over 1100 feet, lovely brooks and undeveloped ponds. Well, it's many years since I hiked there but I expect it's still pretty unspoiled. Don't know who decided to rename them the "Kennebec Highlands."

That's generally the area I was talking about. I used Mt Philip as an example since I had a picture. The BRCA has been working to buy up land and has been cutting and cleaning up the trails in that whole area. They're the ones who named it Kennebec Highlands. The trails can also be used year round for xc skiing and snowshoeing. Not sure if they allow snowmobiles. If you join the organization they'll give you a map of all the trails, although you may be able to buy the map in some of the local shops (Days store in Belgrade Lakes maybe?). Don't forget to go cool off in the lake after your hike. :)

Mapnut

On both Terraserver and Google Earth it looks like the whole summit ridge of Vienna Mountain was cleared, and a road put in, but nothing was built from 1997 until whenever the Google Earth image was taken. Anybody know what that was, a housing development that went bust maybe?

thebigo

I have never hiked that area so i cant offer any suggestions but i would be curious how you are finding the augusta area?

Altaskibum

I actually really like it here. There are issues with economy and such but there are a ton of lakes, the western mountains are close and the coast is also just a short drive away. I am in a small town about 10 miles west of augusta and we bought a little house just a couple of blocks from maranacook lake and so I am really happy. I just moved from dallas though so anything would seem awsome compared to that.