• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My first ride in ~10 years

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
HA HA HA .......Hmmm right.......free......:roll:

He'll learn....Maintenance on my mtn bike is quite high...and I have a very durable fully.. And there are also upgrades. Already, I upgraded wheels, hubs, brake rotors, new locking grips. This obviously doesn't include all the tubes, tires and brake pads. I'm on the 3rd rear derailleur, 2nd derailleur cable...I'm sure I can think of a few more...oh 2nd derailleur hanger. And of course numerous tune-ups, rotor and wheel truings. etc. etc.

I love biking.... So, while there might be no trail access fees if you're doing cross-county/trail riding...its definitely not "free". ;)

MR. evil

He'll learn....Maintenance on my mtn bike is quite high...and I have a very durable fully.. And there are also upgrades. Already, I upgraded wheels, hubs, brake rotors, new locking grips. This obviously doesn't include all the tubes, tires and brake pads. I'm on the 3rd rear derailleur, 2nd derailleur cable...I'm sure I can think of a few more...oh 2nd derailleur hanger. And of course numerous tune-ups, rotor and wheel truings. etc. etc.

I love biking.... So, while there might be no trail access fees if you're doing cross-county/trail riding...its definitely not "free". ;)

I have been really lucky with my bike, one year and no real issues. A couple of tune ups. some new tires, and a few cheap add ons. I am just waiting to blow a fork or shock, or loose a rear der. Seeing how I removed by big ring up front and went with a bash guard I think my next project will be to swap out my long cage rear der. for a medium cage one to get some more clearance.

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, I know. I'm sure there's a lot of maintenance involved. Obviously my point was there were no list tickets or season passes needed. Once the initial gear is in place, you can just go.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I have been really lucky with my bike, one year and no real issues. A couple of tune ups. some new tires, and a few cheap add ons. I am just waiting to blow a fork or shock, or loose a rear der. Seeing how I removed by big ring up front and went with a bash guard I think my next project will be to swap out my long cage rear der. for a medium cage one to get some more clearance.

Oh yeah, you can add to the list, a rear shock rebuild from PUSH, I also removed the large ring up front and replaced with a dangerboy bashguard. My 3rd rear derailleur is one of the newer "shadow" versions. Very nice so far, no real issues. It has a narrower profile so doesn't stick out past the quick release skewer to avoid hitting things. Works so far.

Greg

Staff member
Interesting reading this thread again too. So, it's been about 2 1/2 months since I started riding again, and actually more like 6 weeks since I started to really get into it. I've got about 17 rides in and I've come a long way. It truly is a fun learning curve to be "riding" on. ;)

Greg. Enjoy being a novice. Every time you go you will notice improvement, and if that doesn't make you wanna get back out again and again I don't know what will. Love the progression.

You were spot on with this comment.

The social aspect to riding is a lot like group skiing-for better or worse.

Totally. The usual crew of Jeff and Brian have been great partners as we figure this MTB thing out.