• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Technical question

air0rmc

What design features does a ski have to posses to be easier to skid while trying to wash off speed ? I assume the main atribute is the geometry of the tail that facilitate's easier switching from carving/turning to skidding.And does anyone have any suggested models and sizing info. I'm 5'5" 155 lbs.Last winter was my first season in over twenty years so the parabolic skis are new to me,and I am amazed I must say ! Thanks for your help.

Greg

Staff member
I think the straighter the ski, the better for skidding. Less sidecut means less hooking and it's easier to break out of a carve. From a carving purist perspective, I'm an incredibly sloppy skier and have no problem anyone that wants to skid some turns to scrub speed. Sometimes you have to in the trees or bumps. My Cabrawlers and Legends both have pretty subtle sidecuts.

drjeff

Excatly, a stiffer flexing ski with an "old school" sidecut (or maybe lack of sidecut is a better descritpive term) will skid much easier than a modern shaped ski.

Flex often gets overlooked in the ease of turning equation, but by far and away nowadays the overall flex pattern of most skis made is softer, especially in the tips, than the straight skis of old. Heck, if anyone rembers so of the old classic slalom racing skis such as the K2 VO Slalom, you could barely bend the things when just about everyone did the completely pointless "flex the ski in the shop test" before they bought a pair. By comparison atleast tip to tail even modern racing skis flex like a wet noodle compared to the old stuff. Torsionally though, todays skis are stiffer and that's softer overall tip to tail flex combined with a stiff torsional flex is what lest todays sidecut work so well and can make it difficult to do the safety skid.

wa-loaf

Hawkshot99

A less torsionally(side-to-side) stiff ski makes it easier to skid.

A torsionally stiff ski is made for carving, while softer lets you skid.

Here are some awesome painted pictures that I have made to show my point:p

Rossi Z3- Has a X construction. Has stiiffer outsides at both the front and rear. Gives stiff torsional flex. The Zenith series from Rossi is for the more advanced skier who carves through their turns.
x-ski.jpg

Rossi Actys 300-Has a much less torsionally stiff tail. As my awesome painting shows it has a Y-technology. It is torsinolly stiff on the front, but much less on the tail. The Actys series from Rossi is for more of the lower end skier who stiff skids out their turns.
y-ski.jpg