• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Couch to 5K Plan

SKIQUATTRO

go to MAPMYRUN.com

It uses google maps and you can hightlight your route and it'll give you distance...

Trekchick

I did it! I registered for the Lake Compounce 5K on 7/27 and the Torrington Donors Week Road Race (5 miles!!!!!) on 8/10. :eek:

Guess I better get training!!!
You're a better woman than I am! Wow, I can't even make myself run. Off to get my mt bike out tho........have fun!

ski9

go to MAPMYRUN.com

It uses google maps and you can hightlight your route and it'll give you distance...

Hey, thanks for that link. The website I had been using for events went out of business a few months ago and your link has better info...

MR. evil

I used to run alot when I was in highschool and college. Then I really got into mountain biking and liked it alot more than running. I gave running again a shot last year and it just didn't suite me any more. If I am going to bust me but I would rather it be at something fun (mountain biking or judo).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I enjoy the little bit of MTB I've done, too. But running is something I have wanted to try for a couple years now. I'm glad I'm doing it. Training session #3 completed today. Not as much of a runner's high, but my mood was pretty low before it. I can feel a difference already in my endurance, though.

Hoping to get out for another training session Fri or Sat (and MTB on the day that I don't run).

Sure beats sitting on the couch wallowing.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So I thought I'd self-promote here :D and resurrect my thread from when I started training.

Less than 3 weeks to go to my first 5K and I've managed to run a total of 16 minutes straight. I'm also up to a 12 minute mile. I'm not fast, and I don't have a lot of endurance yet, but I've come a long way. :D

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Just getting out there regularly is half the battle.

Don't forget to stretch a lot (and stretch everything) so you don't have the most frustrating thing happen to you: over use injury. There are few things worse.

SkiDork

Hey - cool thread. I just started running 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing a real slow mile or so - I mean real slow but it's fine for me.

I injured my "other knee" a few years ago and pretty much gave up on running (jogging really) because now i have 2 bad knees.

But I've gained a lot of weight (up to about 295) and running is the _only_ aerobic exercise I really like. All others are boring to me. So I'm getting out there and just doing it. I figure if I can take off 50 lbs my knees will be better for it anyway.

I've done qutie a bit of running throughout my life so I sorta know the ropes. For me (and I think most folks) the key is to start out REALLY slow for at least the 1st mile. If I stay to that, and very slowly ramp up the speed, I can last a really long time. But if I start out fast I'm sucking wind very quickly.

Anyway, congrats on doing the program and good luck on the 5K.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Stretch, Dork, and stretch a lot.

My g/f's going for her D. PT and from what she tells me far and away the two most common reasons for knee pain- tight IT bands and weak hips.

SkiDork

Stretch, Dork, and stretch a lot.

My g/f's going for her D. PT and from what she tells me far and away the two most common reasons for knee pain- tight IT bands and weak hips.

thanks.

Whats an IT band?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
thanks.

Whats an IT band?

You have two. They're bands of connective tissue that run down the lateral side of your thigh, connecting your hip to your knee-

iliotibial-band.jpg

drjeff

thanks.

Whats an IT band?

The iliotibial band. Basically runs from the side your glute down to the side of your knee and helps with lateral stabilization for the leg.

My neighbor and good friend, a PT, has regularly yelled at me to stop running when I complain about lateral knee pain that radiates up the side of my leg while running due to the IT band. ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Makes sense. There were some stretches I had to do in PT after my partial ACL tear for my hip/IT that I've continued doing. Though I should do more stretching. Brian reminded me that after I do my warm up walk, I should stop and stretch then - not just after running.

SkiDork

thanks for the info on the IT band. I thought it was some dorky Information Technology rock band or somesuch...

BTW - thanks for the mapmyrun.com tip. The run I've been doing that I thought was almost 1 mile is actually 1.62 miles. Cool.

Trekchick

Sev, Brian is right.
Warm up, stretch, then burn.
When you're done with your work out, stretch again, while your still warm, which will lend to flexibility.
I'm very excited for you!