• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Couch to 5K Plan

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sev, Brian is right.
Warm up, stretch, then burn.
When you're done with your work out, stretch again, while your still warm, which will lend to flexibility.
I'm very excited for you!
I know, I know. I just get so excited that I tend to forget to stop after the warm up. :oops: But I ALWAYS stretch afterwards.

25 minutes this morning!!!!! Woohoo!

Warp Daddy

You have two. They're bands of connective tissue that run down the lateral side of your thigh, connecting your hip to your knee-

iliotibial-band.jpg

I too got this advice from my PT -- it helps i had gotten some Hip Bursitis issues from running and this really helps . Stretching everyday is a RITUAL for me now for over 10 years - i think that and eating low fat /hi fiber diet and exercise has allowed me to continue to ski well. at 65

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Alright... the incision from Friday's opening-of-the-infected-pus-filled-sebaceous-cyst-on-my-sternum is healing nicely .... so I'm heading out for a run tonight. I haven't been out since Tuesday morning nearly a week ago. :( And my first race is in 6 days. I'll just do the best I can! Last Tuesday, I managed 30 minutes of continuous running covering about 2.4 miles (yeah, I'm slow, but there were some hills I ran up, too). I have to figure out a good route for tonight since it will be a little uncomfy running later in the day. Hoping to get out around 7PM or so.... maybe it will cool a little bit by then.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:lol: That would be funny to watch. :lol: The little bit of trail running I've done so far was mostly flat. But I would like to get into that, too, once I'm better at running in general. It's definitely much softer on the joints.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Alright... the incision from Friday's opening-of-the-infected-pus-filled-sebaceous-cyst-on-my-sternum is healing nicely .... so I'm heading out for a run tonight. I haven't been out since Tuesday morning nearly a week ago. :( And my first race is in 6 days. I'll just do the best I can! Last Tuesday, I managed 30 minutes of continuous running covering about 2.4 miles (yeah, I'm slow, but there were some hills I ran up, too). I have to figure out a good route for tonight since it will be a little uncomfy running later in the day. Hoping to get out around 7PM or so.... maybe it will cool a little bit by then.

Don't sweat it sev, I got myself a nasty chest cold 2 weeks ago... I went a week and half without riding, and have ridden only twice since then because of weather, work and other scheduling conflicts. Plus I'm still coughing. And I won't be able to ride at all from Thursday through Sunday because I have to go to a wedding in South Carolina. And the PMC is two weeks from this past weekend. You just gotta put your head down and push through. You'll do fine.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The race is this Sunday. Seeing as I'm not exactly fit or have run a full 5K yet, I think 30 minutes would be a bit optimistic at this stage. But I'm going to aim for 35 minutes. Historically, I think my "performance" indicates a 40 minute-ish finish so I would have to work for 35 minutes.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Well, after 6 days of no running and getting back out into 85 degree humid heat, I didn't do as well as I had hoped. It wasn't a setback... I picked the 3.06 mile route that's hilly and wore the running Camelback so I'd stay hydrated. Wanted to give up like 6 times before I finally did because my legs were shot. Fortunately, the lungs held out in spite of my asthma acting up a little bit. I ran 30 minutes (which was my minimum goal) which equaled about 2.5 miles of the course I chose. Yup, very slow. BUT at least I ran it. And it's still more than I could run 2 months ago. ALL of what came after those 2.5 miles was steady uphill climbing so I don't feel bad about walking it. Finished the entire 3.06 miles in 42 minutes 48 seconds, burning a total of 533 calories according to the HRM.

I'm still going to aim for 35 minutes for the 5K. I have 2 more training sessions before the race... and I know the race ends with a downhill and only one significant uphill in it. I'm not sure about the elevation of the rest of it (I should go map it out....) but I think I'll be okay.

I definitely need new shoes though....

o3jeff

If the course isn't that far away, I would try and run the actual course which sound less hilly then your neighborhood.

Good luck.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Well, the 5K course runs from Lake Compounce's gates and back, so not exactly something easily done since I bet you have to pay for parking there. But I mapped it out this morning and it's mostly flatter, so that's good.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ct/bristol/435677112

The next race (the 5 miler) is in my town and starts close to home. Part of the route I did last night will be a part of that course. I'm trying to work my way up to the whole thing, but I need to get to running 3 miles before I can do 5. :lol:

ETA: To compare (and give you an idea of the area I run in), check out the elevation for the 5 mile run:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ct/torrington/362250674

Big difference!

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Not...great. I tried a different route yesterday for my run. In the pouring rain. I only made it about 1 mile before I hit the steep hills. And there was a lot of uphill. So I only managed a total of about 1.66 miles run out of 2.76. :( But I was soaked to the bone, and the uphills really screwed me up. At least I had a decent downhill to finish up running on.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ct/torrington/469991889

One more training session before the big day. I'm going to take it easy though... my legs are pretty sore.

Thanks for the well wishes! :D

Trekchick

Remember these sigs to inspire you!

Robyn's:
~Don't limit your challenges - challenge your limits.~
Author Unkown

Volklgirl's:
A good day is any day you finish with the same number of bones you started with, and all the ligaments attached.