• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cars you have owned:

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
FORD...Fix Or Repair Daily

Dale Gribble:

"I know what's wrong with it. It's a Ford. You know what they say Ford stands for don't ya? 'Fix it again, Tony'."

dale-gribble-66431.jpg

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
68 Volvo 142
74 Dodge Dart (318) and another one of similar vintage
73ish Olds Omega
75 Olds Cutlass
72 F100
Several crappy Citations
86 Suzuki Samurai
Think I had a Granada once
Some big Mercury
72 Volvo wagon
94 C1500
89 k3500 w/ 454
69 Chevelle SS w 427 Vette engine
95 Blazer
97 Jimmy
72 145 Volvo
Several other trucks
(not in that order)

WoodCore

In semi-order of ownership

1984 Chevy Celebrity (2 door) w/4 cylinder
1986 Chevy Celebrity (4 door) w/6 cylinder
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme (2 door) w/V-8 - lasted only 1 week, used 15 quarts of oil
1986 VW Jetta (2 door) - Many fond memories of this car
1990 Subaru Legacy AWD Wagon
1996 Subaru Outback Wagon

The 96 Outback is my present car and have had great luck with it so far. Although it's almost 13 years old, it only has 130,000 miles, runs great and spends most non skiing weekdays parked in the garage.

MR. evil

1988 Pontiac GrandAm
1990 Chevy Bereta GT
1976 Jeep CJ5
1979 Jeep CJ7
1996 Jeep Wrangler (first new car)
1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2001 Nissan Maxima SE
2004 Ford Ranger

The Ranger and The Maxima our are current vehicles, I wasn't sure how to list them becuase we don't have a my car your car situation. They are our cars and we take what ever one suits our needs. The Maxima is by far the best car I have ever owned. Just broke 100,000 miles and all I have had to do it replaces the tires a couple time, the brakes once, one muffler and regular oil changes. The car still handles great and has a ton of power. My favorite vehicle ever was my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. I ordered it and them trick it out in the factory with all the off roading goodies and geek from the burds could want and would never use:oops:. 31" tires, off road suspension, 2" lift kit, brush guard, winch and 3:11 gearing. I got rid of the jeep for the Maxima becuase after almost 4 years of 30 miles each way to work the rough ride was starting to get to me in the jeep. But I still miss that thing.

For the married people on here...do most of you guys share cars or is one car yours and one for your spouse??? I personally hate having other people drive my car..and messing up the seat and mirrors and what not..but I think alot of the newer cars have memory seats.

Moe Ghoul

Generally, I drive the Pilot, because if I use it, I'm usually hauling/shopping or doing somethin I need the space for. It's the skimobile in the winter. But I use the other car as well. Wife rarely drives the Pilot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the married people on here...do most of you guys share cars or is one car yours and one for your spouse??? I personally hate having other people drive my car..and messing up the seat and mirrors and what not..but I think alot of the newer cars have memory seats.

not married, but when I received my company car, we sold the girls 2000 Jetta and now she drives my 07 Hyundai. It's a treat to be able to drive MY car when I can on weekends. the 2004 Subie is a total POS compared to the Sonata.

Whatever we get next to replace the Hyundai in five years or so will be her pick as the Sonata was mine. Though I hold certain veto powers as I pay the bill.

wa-loaf

I drive the VW the 5 mins to the train station during the week and my wife hauls the kids around in the Outback. Weekends I drive everyone around in the Subi. Seat adjustment is only slightly annoying since it has a power drivers seat.

ccskier

89 Isuzu Trooper, Flipped on the beach
89 VW Jetta, p.o.s.
99 VW Jetta
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (best car ever owned)
2002 Ford Exploder Sport
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2006 VW Passat, present vehicle

drjeff

Let see if I can remember all of them

1986 Chevy Celebrity
1988 Olds Delta 88
1993 GMC Jimmy
1997 Chevy Malibu
1998 Chevy Blazer
2001 Audi A4
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
2004 Audi A6
2007 Audi Q7

Jonni

Dale Gribble:

"I know what's wrong with it. It's a Ford. You know what they say Ford stands for don't ya? 'Fix it again, Tony'."

dale-gribble-66431.jpg

I thought that was for the European cars: FIAT (Fix It Again Tony).

Well here are my autos:

'87 Ford Ranger
'97 Toyota Tacoma
'04 Jeep Liberty Renegade (current)

The Toyota was the best rig out the the three that I have had, although the Jeep is definitely in at a close second. That Toyota stranded me on the interstate twice, but when I brought it in to to get it fixed, the guys at the dealership asked me how the thing had even gone that far. Apparently a small four-legged furry creature had eaten away and used the air filter as a nest in the air intake for the engine and what would happen is that I would go over a bump and the nest would lodge such that the engine wasn't getting enough air, and subsequently would shut down. Also 3 out of the 4 O2 sensors were missing with the fourth one not reading properly. The clutch was non-existent and the frame was being held together by with what was left over from the protective coating that I sprayed underneath the truck after putting a reese hitch on the truck. I could pretty much, not kill that thing no matter what I did.

MR. evil

I thought that was for the European cars: FIAT (Fix It Again Tony).

Well here are my autos:

'87 Ford Ranger
'97 Toyota Tacoma
'04 Jeep Liberty Renegade (current)

The Toyota was the best rig out the the three that I have had, although the Jeep is definitely in at a close second. That Toyota stranded me on the interstate twice, but when I brought it in to to get it fixed, the guys at the dealership asked me how the thing had even gone that far. Apparently a small four-legged furry creature had eaten away and used the air filter as a nest in the air intake for the engine and what would happen is that I would go over a bump and the nest would lodge such that the engine wasn't getting enough air, and subsequently would shut down. Also 3 out of the 4 O2 sensors were missing with the fourth one not reading properly. The clutch was non-existent and the frame was being held together by with what was left over from the protective coating that I sprayed underneath the truck after putting a reese hitch on the truck. I could pretty much, not kill that thing no matter what I did.

Do you ever watch the show Top Gear on the BBC (awsome show), if not do a youtube search for the Toyota pick up episode. Every week the hosts do something carzy with cars. One week the picked up a 1982 toyota pickup with like 200,000 miles and beat the crap out it. they couldn't kill the thing. The drove it into the ocean and left it overnight. Then lit it on fire, picked it up with a crane and dropped it 20 plus feet onto pavement, then hit it several time with a wrecking ball. The damn thing still ran after all of that. They were so impressed with the beat up truck it now has a permenent spot on the TV show set.

mondeo

1999 Cougar
2006 Subie Impreza WRX STI, currently at 32K miles
About 1/10th ownership of a couple Clarkson University Formula SAE cars. Those things are rockets.

Cougar - Lost the alternator at 150K. For the most part it was a solid car, one problem with an electrical short (and then when the dealer "fixed" it, they moved the wiring to a place where it chafed against the transmission, causing another short and leaving me 100 miles away from home on my way back from college.) Main problem was that the engine bay was so stuffed that it was expensive to get any work done; the shop quoted me something like $700 for the alternator, probably because it would take three hours to access and three hours to put everything back. Still on the original shocks (I was on the way to the shop to get them replaced when it died,) timing chain, clutch, transmission, CV joints, and just about everything else that wasn't standard maintanence, and some that was (spark plugs.) I still cry a little every time I pass a Cougar. A Mercury Cougar, that is.

powbmps

74 MGB
92 Sentra SE-R
92 Eagle Talon TSI
95 Eagle Talon TSI
02 Subaru WRX
05 Subaru Legacy GT
05 Honda Odyssey
08 GMC Acadia

Nice trend....more size, less fun.

Skier75

Let's see my first car was

"69 Pontiac Bonneville convertable, teal w/white top, auto, shift on the floor(as if you couldn't tell that was the greatest, at the time, first car), oh yeah I had a spiffy 8-track with this car, I was stylin back then ;)
then I moved up to a "74 Ford, LTD, auto, 6 cyl, radio w/cassette player,
Year??? Plymoth Crickett
"74 Plymouth Valliant, great granny car, couldn't kill it..rusted to death
"74 Dodge Dart
Chev Chevette, year?, std
Dodge Aspen, year?
Chev Chevette, year?, auto
Buick Skyhawk, year?, std
Olds Cutlass
Saturn
Chev Malibu
Now "02 Subaru Outback

I think that was just about all of them, I may have left out a few beeta cars......

Greg

Staff member

My wife gets the newer car and I get the POS.

One thing that is surprising is that there aren't many luxury cars on these lists...yet when I visit ski areas in New England...especially Stowe, Stratton, Killington and Okemo...the parking lots are jam packed with Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes SUVs, Hummers, Range Rover and Porshe Cayannes..I imagine us hardcore skiers and riders are spending money on skiing/riding and not on our vehicles..