• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My recent Yard Sale and Damage to Skis

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeanoNYC

...... Long time listener; first time caller

So they say when climbing a tree, one is safer higher up in the tree than when closer to the bottom because said climber is more careful at the top. That being said, I let my guard down on a blue at mountain creek last night, caught an edge and did a wonderful impersonation of the old ABC sport's opening "Agony of Defeat" man.

I took a look at my skis this morning and noticed a hole about the size of dime on the top of my tail. This goes down to the core. I'm assuming that an appoxy would seal it up. Any suggestions as to what kind of appoxy to use. Also any tips on application? I don't think I should ski on them until this is fixed. Sugesstions? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

Thanks
-Rich-

Talisman

I can't be certain based on your desciption of the damage to your ski, but you don't want to use epoxy to repair base damage. I would recommend using a P-tex candle if the damage isn't along the edge of the ski. You can do this yourself if you have a metal scraper and P-tex candle. Try www.tognar.com for a guide to base repairs but remember they are try to sell tools.

ctenidae

If it's on the topsheet, most any epoxy will do, I'd think. Try to get something that's rated for cold temps, though- don't want it stiffening up and yanking out core material on a turn.

BeanoNYC

It's on the top of the tail, not on the base (thank goodness). Thanks for the tip on the epoxy. I'll get this done before the weekend.

B

beswift

BeanoNYC said:
It's on the top of the tail, not on the base (thank goodness). Thanks for the tip on the epoxy. I'll get this done before the weekend.
Don't use 5 minute epoxy as it isn't sandable. Sand it and paint it after you epoxy it. Also make sure it is bone dry before you epoxy it. By the way, that ABC clip was directly responsible for the demise of competitive ski jumping in the U.S.

dmc

RossiSkier said:
Coreshot! Oh the horror! MEDIC! I'm hit, I'm hit. Bring morphine and PTEX.

...yet again.... ...lame...

RossiSkier

oh please with the lame thing. you should talk dmc. i could audit your posts and come up with many of the same.

believe me i can FEEL HIS PAIN on taking a coreshot. don't Be so SWIFT on condeming other people's posts.

ctenidae

Gotta say, if I saw a hole in the top of my ski, two thoughts would go through my head-
1) "I've been hit!"
2) Can I use this to convince my wife to let me buy new skis?

dmc

RossiSkier said:
oh please with the lame thing. you should talk dmc. i could audit your posts and come up with many of the same.

believe me i can FEEL HIS PAIN on taking a coreshot. don't Be so SWIFT on condeming other people's posts.

Not everyone has had dealings with coreshots for the last 20 years like some of us...

His post was meanspirited... Trying to come off like it's no big deal... But maybe - just maybe - to someone else - it is a big deal... Some of you guys try and sound SOOOO important... But your average skier isn't NEARLY as excelent as you.... ;)

If he's joking - tell him to learn how to use smileys.... Otherwise he comes off as a pompous jerk...

RossiSkier

Wow! Coming off as a pompous jerk to a snowboarder from Hunter is about the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I think I'll coreshoot all my skis and bring my ironing board to the hill and sit in the middle of the trail, gaping.

:p

dmc

RossiSkier said:
Wow! Coming off as a pompous jerk to a snowboarder from Hunter is about the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I think I'll coreshoot all my skis and bring my ironing board to the hill and sit in the middle of the trail, gaping.

:p

Nice!!!

Stay in the middle of the trails... I like the snow on the sides... ;)
Also gong to need more room so I can practice my telemarking... NATO at MRG is just around the corner...

BeanoNYC

No need to heat this thread up people. I just needed advice on my ski's.

ctenidae: I got these skis for my birthday in mid January :( so I don't think the wife will let me get new one's. Besides the only reason I decided to ski at mountain creek that night was because I was at Giant's stadium for princeton's sale buying HER new some women specific ski's with pretty flowers on them. Needless to say .... money is now a bit tight.

Thanks for the epoxy advice ... cold weather, not a quick dry formula either. I may just bring them into the shop sometime this week to see what they say.

Let's remember that we're here because we love skiing and boarding so much that we're seeking out people to talk and enjoy it with. I never intended to have, what seems to me, old grievances aired out in a gear repair thread.\

I got the advice that I needed. Thanks to everyone for their input. Admin, please feel free to lock this thread.

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
No need to heat this thread up people. I just needed advice on my ski's.

ctenidae: I got these skis for my birthday in mid January :( so I don't think the wife will let me get new one's. Besides the only reason I decided to ski at mountain creek that night was because I was at Giant's stadium for princeton's sale buying HER new some women specific ski's with pretty flowers on them. Needless to say .... money is now a bit tight.

Thanks for the epoxy advice ... cold weather, not a quick dry formula either. I may just bring them into the shop sometime this week to see what they say.

Let's remember that we're here because we love skiing and boarding so much that we're seeking out people to talk and enjoy it with. I never intended to have, what seems to me, old grievances aired out in a gear repair thread.\

I got the advice that I needed. Thanks to everyone for their input. Admin, please feel free to lock this thread.

Keeps us posted... As to how the fix works... etc...

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:

Agreed, BeanoNYC. There are a few rowdies here, but I'm glad you got the information you need. Welcome to the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.