• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/9-2/11 Storm Discussion Thread

W

wormly81

Theres no doubt Im heading north late tonight or early tommorrow morning. Anyone else headed up to Waterville or Loon? Be nice to put a face to some of you AZ'ers.

Jeff

skijay

Wow! I am in the 12 - 20 " range & it looks like the Berkshire ski areas will do well.

highpeaksdrifter

"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS UPGRADED THE WINTER STORM WATCH TO A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR ESSEX COUNTY NEW YORK AS WELL AS CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT FOR LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.

YOU CAN EXPECT SNOW TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT WITH TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 16 INCHES POSSIBLE BY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING."

Vortex

wormly81 said:
Theres no doubt Im heading north late tonight or early tommorrow morning. Anyone else headed up to Waterville or Loon? Be nice to put a face to some of you AZ'ers.

Jeff
thought I could bail, but not till Friday aftternoon. How long you up there for. I'm at Loon most Weekend days. Pm me if you want to grab a run sometime..

RossiSkier

Bummer. Looks like the powder will go into Northern Vermont and the rain will lay waste to the rest. Heartbreaker!

bgm+bgwv.gif

Greg

Staff member
Sit tight Rossi. This is just the prelim precipation. If the storm track holds true and this thing winds up off-shore, it will pull in the colder air...

hammer

RossiSkier said:
Bummer. Looks like the powder will go into Northern Vermont and the rain will lay waste to the rest. Heartbreaker!
Keep the faith...these storms are usually difficult to tie down until they're almost on top of you.
I think Greg's right on this one as well...I'm seeing initial forecasts of rain to start, but if the storm pulls in the cold air then hopefully we'll see a decent dump down to the Mass. border.

subdude

Actually the storm track is trending further North then yesterdays models showed this is great for ski areas. NWS in Burlington VT already issued a winter storm warning with 8-16" looks like all ski areas in New England will get a nice dumping.

HALLELUIAH!!!!

ctenidae

That radar track looks promising- if the snow line keeps tracking south like that, we'll be all set.

ctenidae

From the NOAA warning for the Sunapee area:

EXPECT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY THURSDAY NIGHT.

ANY TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS, YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

Geez...they're only calling for 8-12. Of course, I've taken the day off, and am currently drooling...

awf170

ya this storm looks pretty awsome for northern new england. But for me it is a lose-lose situation, if the storm tracks south i get snow where i live(lynn MA) meaning i wont have school, but less snow in the mountains, but if it tracks north wildcat will get dumped on(that is wher im planning on goin friday) and i will get rain which means school. :( but atleast we are getting snow :D

MtnMagic

We'll have much more snow than VT this time around. Northern NH is predicted to receive 12 - 24" -- that's just in the valley . The higher elevations will see a lot more. So skiing at Loon, Cannon, Tucks etc and hiking out to Isolation and Owl's Head will see even more snow depth. Your fun of the season, regular February blizzard. Finally, yeah, bring it on!

Anyone else plan to get out and take advantage of the snow this weekend?!
:D

dmc

MtnMagic said:

Skiing at home in NY tomorrow and friday then headed up to NH..
Probably Attitash.... Got an ASC pass... Maybe Wildcat..
Always wondered what it was like while sitting in the Alpine Garden on Mt Washington...

teachski

Website
teachski.com
subdude said:
Actually the storm track is trending further North then yesterdays models showed this is great for ski areas. NWS in Burlington VT already issued a winter storm warning with 8-16" looks like all ski areas in New England will get a nice dumping.

HALLELUIAH!!!!
If ALL ski areas in New England are going to get a nice dumping as you say, then it will need to get colder much faster and enlarge. There ARE SKI AREAS that are in MA, CT and RI you know! WE WANT and NEED snow too!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
dmc said:
MtnMagic said:

Always wondered what it was like while sitting in the Alpine Garden on Mt Washington...
Looks like you have rain right now? Is that radar right hope not.

dmc

ALLSKIING said:
dmc said:
MtnMagic said:

Looks like you have rain right now? Is that radar right hope not.

Supposed to rain until midnight and let loose...
Not really concerned... In fact - it will help tamp down the base in the woods - firm up the snow..

Eight now it's drizzle... nothing hard yet..

MtnMagic

Wildpeaks, Ghostdog and I hiked up the Ammo Ravine Trail Monday to Mt Monroe. So unseasonably warm that no jacket, ear muffs or mittens were needed. Heck, there was even mud on the summit. We thought that the spring-like weather might trick the flowers on the Alpine garden on big George.

Tucks should be screaming this weekend and all next week!