• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/9-2/11 Storm Discussion Thread

JimG.

Staff member
Glad the MRV got pounded. Greg should be having fun and I'm heading up to MRG in 2 weeks. This storm was what I was praying for. Now we need a few refresher shots of 6-8" each just before I head up 8) .

bvibert

Staff member
Yup, Greg should be having a blast up there right now. I wish I could be up there, I'm very envious!

JimG.

Staff member
pepperdawg said:
izzy said:
What skidbump said :(

Ummm....sounds like you guys need to be putting on your driving gloves

Can't this weekend, gonna have to be happy on the hardpack. DMC is heading into the heart of the snow though, good for him! Hope he reads the avalanche advisory from Mt. Washington if he's thinking of heading there; pretty ominous!

pepperdawg

YEah - exterme Avi danger right now....lots o wind loading.

I think he was headed to Attitrash.....there was some "romantic nature" to this trip also if I'm not mistaken. :D

MtnMagic

In the North Country we received 16-18" of snow.
I read Pinkam Notch got about 2'.
The summits surely got more!

Nothing like a good breaking trail hike with a group of 9 to Mt Isolation tomorrow. We'll be bushwhaking with snowshoes. This will be a blast!

JimG.

Staff member
pepperdawg said:
YEah - exterme Avi danger right now....lots o wind loading.

I think he was headed to Attitrash.....there was some "romantic nature" to this trip also if I'm not mistaken. :D

Attitash or Wildcat...if I know him, the thought of being right next to Tucks will be too much for him to pass up, so my guess is Wildcat.

As for anything romantic, I'm sure he'll be kissing some fresh POW in any case :lol: !

bvibert

Staff member
Being that close to Tucks and not being able to go may be like torture though. He may want to stay away just so he doesn't do anything foolish ;)

pepperdawg

Yeah - he has an ASC Gold pass he was looking to break in which is why I'm thinking AttiTrash....and his "old lady "in tow.

MIght be he's skinning up Sherbunr though...

sal37

I just got back from Belleayre, they were reporting 2" of new snow. Its a $15 ticket today so I drove up . They got diddlysquat and the hill was icy in many spots. Any granular was basically skied off. I'm thinking its worth the drive from Poughkeepsie to Sugarbush for mondays special. .

Robbski

Waterville today

Just back from Waterville ... 15" of fresh ... If you could get at it. Lifts to the summit were on hold from 10:30 to 12:30. That aside it was a good day. Skied some pow, loose chopped up stuff and groomed (a little ice too where the wind had blown all 15" into the woods. The crowds were thin and it beat the crap out of work! 8)

Wonder how Cannon fared? The wind was howling. WV staff claimed 50 mph :eek:

awf170

all the chair at cannon were open and they got 2 and half to 3 feet of snow. I didnt go but my dad did and would bring me cause i had school, he said it was his best day skiing in the east ever, and he has been over i hundred times, im so mad i couldnt go :angry:

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Sugarbush was sitting on about 2 feet yesterday, although they weren't spinning most of the lifts at Lincoln Peak. They said it was because of wind, which was fairly high sometimes and negligible other times, but I wonder if they weren't also trying to save fresh snow for the weekend and/or the races they're having today and tomorrow.

It wasn't that big of a deal for me since I just went up for a couple of hours, but some of the people who'd paid for a full-day were kind of put out. I sent some of them over the Mt. Ellen which had more terrain open.

Having said that, the runs that I did ski were great. It was awesome finding that spot in the woods and sinking into two feet of power.

awf170

ya if it wasnt for this storm february vacation would be a nightmare. Has anyone heard anything about the storm monday/tuesday. I think it is just a small storm, but i heard everywhere is going to get rain. :(

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wonder how Cannon fared? The wind was howling.
cannon fared great with 2+ feet of snow. tram and cannonball were on wind hold till 10:30 friday morning and the front face was tracked out long before the upper lifts opened. upper mountain nothing stuck except skiers right on taft which was great. hardscrabbles and avalanche were the places to be on cannon proper.

awf170, i'm surprised your father said it was his best day ever. it was a great day of skiing, but nothing epic, imo. the snow was heavy and wet, fresh snow and not "powder." essentially it made tracking down anything less than a black diamond pitch in untracked really hard until it got tracked up a bit. the front face was awesome the first two or three runs but tracked out after that. i was expecting at least a half dozen runs of fresh untracked through light fluffy pow when i headed up, due to the hordes that showed up and the consistancy i got occasional untracked early AM in fresh but not powdery snow. an awesome day of skiing friday for sure, but i had a lot more fun saturday. i have had epic powder days at cannon and had expected a little more for friday.

not saying it was bad! it was a great day, but it's amazing how quickly we turn from despite for a dump to snow snob, huh?? :)

JD

Website
hotmail.com
The snow quality at stowe was great. Wind sculpted into very dramtic drifts 3-4 feet dep all the way down the left side of everything...but light enough so that as you ploughed into a navel deep drift, it would just explode all over you. I had an epic skin up at 6:30 with high winds and really cool clouds blowing by overhead. National, untracked, me and my brother slayed it. Then I blew my knee out on the next run. Seasnon's over for me, but at least I was charging POW when it all went down.

awf170

ya he probably thought it was his best day because he loves to ski crud and soft moguls more than powder, and maybe to just annoy me because i didnt get to go. hopefully we get snow monday and tuesday because i wanna go up wednesday, i really want to try mittersil it looks pretty awsome from what i have heard.