• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mass market gas price hysteria- $12 a gallon gas

wa-loaf

Only possible with cheap oil.

No, the car companies paid cities in the 50's to tear up light rail tracks so they could sell more buses and cars.

Yes, all parts of the puzzle, but ripping up the tracks made it more difficult for folks to get around without a car. Get a car and you need to park it someplace, so why not move out of town a bit. And then the snowball starts with strip malls . . . Urban planning in the 50s was a nightmare and is the root of a lot of problems we have today.

Thanks for an interesting response . Had no idea that rate of creamation was either that advanced and also that cost-effective for the families .

The cremation rate is growing each year..as cemetery plots become more expensive and now the Catholic church allows it's members to be cremated. The funeral homes still have to provide a service and in many cases embalm the body for a viewing but they simply use a rental casket with a fresh liner..For cremations they don't get a casket sale which has a profit margin of about 500%..or the sale of a vault..instead they might sell an urn. In Europe and Australia the cremation rate is 70% and in China they bury bodies vertically.

Moe Ghoul

Yes, all parts of the puzzle, but ripping up the tracks made it more difficult for folks to get around without a car. Get a car and you need to park it someplace, so why not move out of town a bit. And then the snowball starts with strip malls . . . Urban planning in the 50s was a nightmare and is the root of a lot of problems we have today.

Urban? Suburban and ex urban is even worse. Kunzler's "The Long Emergency" is a worthwhile read. Maybe a tad too bleak, but a lot of his predictions are slowly coming to fruition.

Moe Ghoul

The cremation rate is growing each year..as cemetery plots become more expensive and now the Catholic church allows it's members to be cremated. The funeral homes still have to provide a service and in many cases embalm the body for a viewing but they simply use a rental casket with a fresh liner..For cremations they don't get a casket sale which has a profit margin of about 500%..or the sale of a vault..instead they might sell an urn. In Europe and Australia the cremation rate is 70% and in China they bury bodies vertically.

Vertical? Interesting.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just filled up at a Hess station in NH for $3.67 ..... felt like I won the lottery :lol:

I wonder how many gas station owners have auxilery tanks that they fill up for personal use, lock in for a 1000 gallons at a cheap price to help stem off some of the cost for their own use down the line.

I just ran some errands for work...I passed 4 gas stations...Sunoco $3.83..Lukoil #1..$3.87...Lukoil #2 $3.87...Shell...$3.89....and two days ago I paid $3.75..for my first ever $50+ fill-up..it's interesting to me the way it's interesting to gape at the carnage of a car crash on the side of the road..

drjeff

I just filled up at a Hess station in NH for $3.67 ..... felt like I won the lottery :lol:

Wouldn't happen to be the one on Rte 9/202 East of Concord would it??? That station for some reason always seems to ahve the lowest prices of just about any station in NH when I'm traveling up there.

wa-loaf

We're thinking of switching to gas heat for the house, we need to upgrade anyway, and I have a full tank of oil that we only paid $2.59 for. I figure I put it on Craigslist for $3.50 and someone will come pump it out for their own use.

Warp Daddy

Gas heat is the way to go.

We've been on it for yrs w/ Lennox Pulse furnace and programmable stats > heat my 2000 sq ft home @68 degrees , operate a gas fireplace and gas hot water heater for a budget of $135 /month over 10 months with arrears in 11th month . this year it'll be under 1500 for it all

Clean burn no smelll , no hassle

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wouldn't happen to be the one on Rte 9/202 East of Concord would it??? That station for some reason always seems to ahve the lowest prices of just about any station in NH when I'm traveling up there.

Route 1 Hampton

and if you're ever on 495 going north in Mass, cheapest gas is at the 125 exit for Bradford/Haverhill at the Irving. Trust me, when you spend as much time in the car as I do, you know where the cheap spots are

eatskisleep

If it ever hit $12 there would be mass panic, there would be a world war.

tcharron

I like the explanation of how the oil execs need all those profits for oil exploration. If they really were spending that much money on oil exploration, they wouldn't have those huge ass profits. :smash:

Well, yes and no. One of the benifits of R&D is it's pretty much 100% tax deductible.