• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mass market gas price hysteria- $12 a gallon gas

Warp Daddy

Time to bring back/heavily promote the ski trains from the major East Coast cities to the mtns?

That would be a fine alternative for urban and greater Metro areas for certain , but for others who lack access it becomes a diminshing return if they have to drive an hr or more to get to an AMTRAK line .

deadheadskier

Staff member
$11 rise per barrel in one day......unemployment has its biggest one month jump in two decades.

Man, does anyone have any good financial news to report other than saving a bunch of money from switching to Geico

tcharron

$11 rise per barrel in one day......unemployment has its biggest one month jump in two decades.

Man, does anyone have any good financial news to report other than saving a bunch of money from switching to Geico

Used ski sales give some GREAT deals. :-D

Moe Ghoul

The good news is being heavily weighted in commodities, USO on the long side and DUG on the short side for oil if one wants to play that. Gold is gonna slice thru 1200/oz like a hot knife in butter by year's end. Steezy......

Warp Daddy

For what its worth: These are " the times that will TRY men's and women's souls " BUT you do need to be in the game and focused on your longterm goals.

Just read some scary research on teh post $200 /barrel economy . Predictions that seemed to be "lunatic fringe" economist's speculation are now being more seriously considered by several mainstream economists .

One prediction is once it hit $200-$225 /barrel the Burbs and McMansion cul de sac havens Become GHOST TOWNS and we enter a pre-1940's era lifestyle with fwere diversions and much reigned in discretionery spending Energy costs including home heating , gas and electricity approaches 12-15 THOUSAND a yr for the Median income family unit < Silver lining at that point driving becomes a LUXURY and Mass transportation and personal Fitness ( Walking and obesity reduction ) become evident . Food cost s are expected to reach teh level of 450 mgallons of oil PER consumer and when that happen s -- well i think you see the point

Several scenarios and recommendations are made BUT this country seems to ONLY act after teh crisi hit

again my new mantra; "I hope they're Wrong "

Moe Ghoul

For what its worth: These are " the times that will TRY men's and women's souls " BUT you do need to be in the game and focused on your longterm goals.

Just read some scary research on teh post $200 /barrel economy . Predictions that seemed to be "lunatic fringe" economist's speculation are now being more seriously considered by several mainstream economists .

One prediction is once it hit $200-$225 /barrel the Burbs and McMansion cul de sac havens Become GHOST TOWNS and we enter a pre-1940's era lifestyle with fwere diversions and much reigned in discretionery spending Energy costs including home heating , gas and electricity approaches 12-15 THOUSAND a yr for the Median income family unit < Silver lining at that point driving becomes a LUXURY and Mass transportation and personal Fitness ( Walking and obesity reduction ) become evident . Food cost s are expected to reach teh level of 450 mgallons of oil PER consumer and when that happen s -- well i think you see the point

Several scenarios and recommendations are made BUT this country seems to ONLY act after teh crisi hit

again my new mantra; "I hope they're Wrong "

U read Kunzler, too? :)

Gas prices are starting to go up again. Alot of the local stations are crossing the $4 per gallon mark. I wonder if a barrel of oil will go up more this week.

Moe Ghoul

No clue. I thought 120ish was gonna be the short term high weeks ago, with a barrel 130 by year's end. Gas prices have breached 5/gal in a few areas before june 15. I went short on oil on Friday, but my finger's on the trigger. Generally, price action reverses near "century marks, 10, 60, 100, 120, 140, etc. It's all in the US dollar and Israeli comments about hitting Iran. Still think that's in the works come the fall. I mentioned on PASR weeks ago that the Petraeus promo to CENTCOM was significant. Welcome to the age of managed chaos :)

ctenidae

No clue. I thought 120ish was gonna be the short term high weeks ago, with a barrel 130 by year's end. Gas prices have breached 5/gal in a few areas before june 15. I went short on oil on Friday, but my finger's on the trigger. Generally, price action reverses near "century marks, 10, 60, 100, 120, 140, etc. It's all in the US dollar and Israeli comments about hitting Iran. Still think that's in the works come the fall. I mentioned on PASR weeks ago that the Petraeus promo to CENTCOM was significant. Welcome to the age of managed chaos :)

Gates firing the Air Force brass isn't a good sign, either. Pretty sure Israel's going to do our Iranian dirty work for us.

Matt Simmons is calling for oil between $200-$500. Granted, he's a bit of a pessimist (not that I disagree with him), but $500 seems a bit high. $200 by the end of the year is my call.

ctenidae

Were in uncharted waters, I just watch the currency markets for clues. I thought 130-150 was going to be the high for the year.

Just regressed USD/EUR rates against oil prices. R-Squared of 0.65. I'd say there's definately a link, there.

Warp Daddy

Check out "The Long Emergency " by James Howard Kunstler or a "shorter synopsis" of some of the concepts in the May 25 , 2008 interview in Washingtonpost.com entitled WAKE UP AMERICA . I believe the original work was done in 2003 .

Kunstler in adition to this has written several other works , some fictional and was considered in the not too distant past to be an ALARMIST -- sadly some of what he wrote about in 2003 has already happened,

JUDGE for yourself ???

deadheadskier

Staff member
Before the end of summer average gas price will be over $5 probably close to $6 ... there is going to Be a lot of cold people this winter which will start the nationalization of energy resources .. gas is one thing but heating oil and natural gas prices is another ... ..

unlikely, but possible. After all Roosevelt did break up Standard Oil back in the day

ctenidae

Before the end of summer average gas price will be over $5 probably close to $6 ... there is going to Be a lot of cold people this winter which will start the nationalization of energy resources .. gas is one thing but heating oil and natural gas prices is another ... in the past lack of food caused revolutions ... lack of access to energy supplies will be no different. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the present economic/political system.. As the world transition from the monarchy due to the wide spread lack of food during the 17th and 18th centuries so will the lack of energy bring about another transition .. just my take on this ..

I'd say food and water are still going to be the big problem-causers going forward.

Malthus was right, just with the wrong scale.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Haha, suckers. I've been cutting firewood for the last two months. Another three cords and I'll be using oil to heat my water only.

And hopefully by second year after I'll have an Eko or Tarm wood boiler online. Fark oil.

Warp Daddy

Haha, suckers. I've been cutting firewood for the last two months. Another three cords and I'll be using oil to heat my water only.

And hopefully by second year after I'll have an Eko or Tarm wood boiler online. Fark oil.

Hopefully you own your own woodlot --IF NOT u got a short term solution

--guess what a load of cull logs will cost next yr ?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hopefully you own your own woodlot --IF NOT u got a short term solution

--guess what a load of cull logs will cost next yr ?

Wood = renewable, oil, not so much.

Yes, I'm sitting on about 150 acres of farmland and woodland that hasn't been trimmed in 30 years.

However, a lot of people I know get green logs dropped off free of charge by tree service companies in the area that look to dump them in a hurry because many don't have room to store them.

Also despite the ~150% increase in the price of oil over the last two years, cord wood prices have not risen in step with them. People are still too lazy and/or don't have the facilities to burn wood. It's a method of heating that will always be behind the no labor types (fossil fuels, solar, heat pumps/geothermal) and even low labor forms (wood pellets, corn pellets, other biomass).

Plus green hardwood logs are still dirt cheap, even around here. I can have 8 - 10 cord in my yard next week if I wanted for $600.