Discussion quality?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Discussion quality?

The AZ forums have been online since 7/1/2001 and this has always been a very civil place to discuss hiking and skiing in the Northeast. Lately it seems a few select members simply can't refrain from antagonizing other members which has been resulting in more bickering and arguing. I've even addressed this once before. I'd be interested to hear if others think the quality of discussion here has degenerated.

Perhaps, it's just a natural evolution as a forum grows? Maybe I should just lighten up? Quite possibly it's just a few personalities that don't mesh well?

Anyway, I've always valued the opinions of the AlpineZone members, so feel free to provide some feedback on how you think it's going here, and if you feel any changes should be made. I would like to see this forum continue to remain a mature and civil place where anyone can feel comfortable posting. There are plenty of other message boards where people can flame and insult each other.

Feedback is welcome.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Wish I could say otherwise, but it does appear that more topics have turned into personal arguments recently. While this will happen for some topics, others have been completely unjustified IMO.

Thanks for noticing, but aside from kicking the offender(s) out I don't have any suggestions on how to fix it...

On a positive note, I've been easily able to identify the antagonist(s), and usually there are plenty of other members that comment if an insult is "launched".

Re: Discussion quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Perhaps, it's just a natural evolution as a forum grows?
    I've certtainly noticed this too, and on at least one occasion been drawn into the fray. I don't think it's a natural evolution to have a few bad apples constantly starting flame wars and I'd like to see these forums continue to grow, which I don't think they can do given the current tone here. (I remarked to myself this morning,sadly, that if I was a new user signing on this morning, I wouldn't want to stay around). There are 3 types of posters, imo. 1) Those who bail out of flame wars as soon as they start. 2) Those who occasionally flame when the subject and content hits a nerve 3)Those who always are around for the flame wars, and seem to enjoy participating in them, and subtly encourage and promote them.

Those in category #3 are very few in number, but can poison a whole community.

Most of the time it's easy to just ignore the few bad apples in category #3, but it gets quite a bit more difficult when they have the time to post prolifically. Then the problem becomes annoying beyond measure.

Maybe I should just lighten up?
    No, I think a good number of people have noticed the same degeneration of civility here lately due to a few bad apples. I've made a conscious decision not to post recently because of it. We might disagree on who bears the majority of the responsibility, but I don't think there would be much disagreement on what names belong on the list.

Cheers,

Brock

Re: Discussion quality?

Quote Originally Posted by BrockVond
    I've made a conscious decision not to post recently because of it.
    Ad this is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to happen. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Its definitely been heading in the down hill direction lately, but I don't think its gotten too out of hand yet. I don't think its possible to have large member base of active posters without having some arguments. The only thing that I can see to tone it back down a little would be to ban users that consistently antagonize others even after being asked not too...

Personally I've stopped reading most of what certain users post...
    Brian

Greg, does this pertain to discussion on the skiing side of the forum? If so, I cannot comment as I don't visit that portion of the forum. As for the Misc. discussion and hiking discussion groups I must say the quality of discussion is very high. Even the politically charged topics in Misc. discussion have an aire of maturity that you don't find at other boards.

I don't think you need to lighten up at all. A good moderator knows when to kick a few off the boat in order to keep the ship afloat.
    You have to do the hard things in life sooner or later. -- Earl Hickey's Karma Guide

Quote Originally Posted by smitty77
    Greg, does this pertain to discussion on the skiing side of the forum?
    Yes, primarily the skiing forums.

ONly thing that annoys me are people who post milestone posts, like "1000 users" or "20000th post".

-Stephen

P.S. Plus those folks who add useless comments to otherwise meaningful conversations.

I'm still kind of a Newbie here. I should not comment on others and I won't again. I think you are handling the situationn well. I have talked to ChileMass and Thetrailboss and got some insight on their views. I came here because it was mellow. Some of the threads don't have the same tone they did previously.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Perhaps, it's just a natural evolution as a forum grows? Maybe I should just lighten up? Quite possibly it's just a few personalities that don't mesh well?
    yes. no. yes.

things have definitely picked up here this season and discussion actually keeps getting better, imo. i think we've had some personality clash and quite a few uncalled for comments. unless i am antagonized first and feel the need to voice an appropriate response, i always try to pretend i have met someone that i am responding to. it's amazing how differently you shape your posts. if i am responding to an antagonizing post, well... i'd respond the same way in person any ways

generally people like to defend themselves when they are called out, especially inappropriately. that's okay. but once a thread starts going back and forth off topic about the posters words, syntax, meaning, and/or symantics instead of the topic, i think a well placed and well worded post by a mod could simmer things back down to respectable levels. not advocating locking threads, but rather neautrally steering things back in the intended direction of the post.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Thread Information