• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Discussion quality?

hammer

BeanoNYC said:
If I hadn't lurked for so long and didn't know the general tone of this forum I would have hightailed it out of here.
Glad to see that you've stuck around. :)

The vast majority of "regulars" here appear to be very courteous, even when having disagreements. I wouldn't let a few obnoxious posts deter you from contributing.

ChileMass

Glad to hear that most of the regulars seem to be committed to staying with this board. Let's not let a few bad apples ruin it. I am personally very grateful to have found a board dedicated to my 2 favorite pastimes (skiing, hiking) and to have had the opportunity to meet some fun people because of it. Let's keep it positive and fun. Nobody should feel like their pride is on the line here......

BrockVond

Greg said:
Anyone else notice how quiet it is this morning...? ;)

(peeks out of cyber-foxhole)

Yup. Sounds great. Thanks!

Now that the bombs have stopped falling I'm gonna go post. Hopefully none of those threads are booby-trapped. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for all the continued support. I think the approach we'll take from now on is to simply lock topics as soon as they stray off-topic (within reason, of course) or turn into a shouting match.

Secondly, please continue to respect each others' opinions. Realize that there is a wide array of personalities here as well, and if you find that yours doesn't mesh well with another member's, simply refrain from engaging in any exchanges with them; for the greater good of the community. I like riverc0il's approach of posting as if he's met each of us personally. Don't post anything that you wouldn't say face to face.

Finally, please realize that often times what's posted in a message board can easily be taken out of context as things like body language, emphasis, tone of voice, etc. are lost (smilies can help a bit). Let's get things back on track and keep the discussions here positive ones.

Thanks again for the support!

hammer

Greg said:
I like riverc0il's approach of posting as if he's met each of us personally. Don't post anything that you wouldn't say face to face.
I didn't read this before but that's a very good approach to follow.

Unfortunately, it seems that the overall level of courtesy in society has decreased, and one reason is because people don't feel like they need to be as tactful if they aren't corresponding with others face-to-face.

Hopefully we can try to buck this trend on this forum...

thetrailboss

Staff member
uphillklimber said:
I missed some of this, as I was in Rangeley. No PC, not even a TV to watch the Patriots roll!!! Had to go to a restauraunt.

I pretty much have left another board because of the trolls and flaming and so little on topic discussion. I came here, as it's about skiing and hiking. I visit the skiing primarily, and the misc discussion. For some reason, I've lost some interest in the hiking side of things, I think as a result of the previous board. ( I still do hike)

BTW, I have noticed that things are much quieter around here. Locked forums and "quieting " posters are actions not done too quickly here, and no one wants to be known for doing that on their site. The few times I have seen it done here, it was ....somewhat overdue, IMO.

Personally, I think Greg and the other moderators do a great job keeping things here civil and on topic. If I want a ski trip report, I look under trip reports, and there are trip reports!!! I have expressed my appreciation in the past, and am doing so now. Greg and all the moderators have my appreciation and thanx for running this board the way it is run. :beer:

As far as the "community" here. I respect all of you. I have asked for opinions in the past, on various subjects. In some cases, I am asking experts in their field about their field, and other times I am expecting layman's responses. And that is what I get.

To all here, Thank you.

There were some problems as of late...I stepped in just at the time when the issue was resolved. Greg made a good call and we backed him up. It will be a lot more quiet and civil here now.

PM for more specifics. :wink:

bvibert

Staff member
It looks like the our little trouble maker defected to snowjournal.com. They now have a guy named snowglider running around there spouting pro-xc, anti-dh, and anti-NY crap. Since he joined on the 9th he has already posted 135 messages... Sounds a lot like someone I know... ;)

JimG.

Staff member
bvibert said:
It looks like the our little trouble maker defected to snowjournal.com. They now have a guy named snowglider running around there spouting pro-xc, anti-dh, and anti-NY crap. Since he joined on the 9th he has already posted 135 messages... Sounds a lot like someone I know... ;)

Yeah, he went off on that poor kid who died in an extreme skiing accident up at Stowe, then bashed the kid for being a stupid New Yorker who didn't know the area well enough. He implied the kid got what he deserved.

Of course, he was ill informed...the kid was from UVM and knew the area very well. He was an excellent skier who had experience who just happened to catch a real bad break and got killed. I think he died doing what he loved.

I don't miss that poster here.

bvibert

Staff member
JimG. said:
Yeah, he went off on that poor kid who died in an extreme skiing accident up at Stowe, then bashed the kid for being a stupid New Yorker who didn't know the area well enough. He implied the kid got what he deserved.

Yup thats what got me on to him. I don't ussually read those forums, but there was a link to the forums here about that story so I checked it out. After his stupid New Yorker comments I checked out some of his other posts, which were VERY similar to the crap he used to post here...

JimG. said:
Of course, he was ill informed...t

What else is new ;) I don't think anyone here misses him...

Lostone

Guess I missed the person that was the cause of some of the garbage. Still, I'm sure there is more, and will be.

I post of other forums. The best one makes no bones about it. "It is my forum You have no right to be here. All who play nice are welcome. Those who are here to cause trouble are invited to post elsewhere. "

When someone is out of line they are sent an email. (Could be a PM on this site. That format doesn't have PMs.) If they continue, they are cut off.

There is a difference between. "I think the left side of the trail is better" and "You're a $#%^% idiot if you ski the right."

Not too hard to be semi polite.

just my opinion. :roll:

ChileMass

Lostone said:
There is a difference between. "I think the left side of the trail is better" and "You're a $#%^% idiot if you ski the right."

Not too hard to be semi polite.

just my opinion. :roll:

Well said - !!