• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Discussion quality?

Greg

Staff member
The AZ forums have been online since 7/1/2001 and this has always been a very civil place to discuss hiking and skiing in the Northeast. Lately it seems a few select members simply can't refrain from antagonizing other members which has been resulting in more bickering and arguing. I've even addressed this once before. I'd be interested to hear if others think the quality of discussion here has degenerated.

Perhaps, it's just a natural evolution as a forum grows? Maybe I should just lighten up? Quite possibly it's just a few personalities that don't mesh well?

Anyway, I've always valued the opinions of the AlpineZone members, so feel free to provide some feedback on how you think it's going here, and if you feel any changes should be made. I would like to see this forum continue to remain a mature and civil place where anyone can feel comfortable posting. There are plenty of other message boards where people can flame and insult each other.

Feedback is welcome.

hammer

Wish I could say otherwise, but it does appear that more topics have turned into personal arguments recently. While this will happen for some topics, others have been completely unjustified IMO.

Thanks for noticing, but aside from kicking the offender(s) out I don't have any suggestions on how to fix it...

On a positive note, I've been easily able to identify the antagonist(s), and usually there are plenty of other members that comment if an insult is "launched".

BrockVond

Greg said:
Perhaps, it's just a natural evolution as a forum grows?

I've certtainly noticed this too, and on at least one occasion been drawn into the fray. I don't think it's a natural evolution to have a few bad apples constantly starting flame wars and I'd like to see these forums continue to grow, which I don't think they can do given the current tone here. (I remarked to myself this morning,sadly, that if I was a new user signing on this morning, I wouldn't want to stay around). There are 3 types of posters, imo. 1) Those who bail out of flame wars as soon as they start. 2) Those who occasionally flame when the subject and content hits a nerve 3)Those who always are around for the flame wars, and seem to enjoy participating in them, and subtly encourage and promote them.

Those in category #3 are very few in number, but can poison a whole community.

Most of the time it's easy to just ignore the few bad apples in category #3, but it gets quite a bit more difficult when they have the time to post prolifically. Then the problem becomes annoying beyond measure.

Maybe I should just lighten up?

No, I think a good number of people have noticed the same degeneration of civility here lately due to a few bad apples. I've made a conscious decision not to post recently because of it. We might disagree on who bears the majority of the responsibility, but I don't think there would be much disagreement on what names belong on the list.

Cheers,

Brock

Greg

Staff member
BrockVond said:
I've made a conscious decision not to post recently because of it.
Ad this is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to happen. :( Thanks for the feedback so far.

bvibert

Staff member
Its definitely been heading in the down hill direction lately, but I don't think its gotten too out of hand yet. I don't think its possible to have large member base of active posters without having some arguments. The only thing that I can see to tone it back down a little would be to ban users that consistently antagonize others even after being asked not too...

Personally I've stopped reading most of what certain users post...

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Greg, does this pertain to discussion on the skiing side of the forum? If so, I cannot comment as I don't visit that portion of the forum. As for the Misc. discussion and hiking discussion groups I must say the quality of discussion is very high. Even the politically charged topics in Misc. discussion have an aire of maturity that you don't find at other boards.

I don't think you need to lighten up at all. A good moderator knows when to kick a few off the boat in order to keep the ship afloat.

Greg

Staff member
smitty77 said:
Greg, does this pertain to discussion on the skiing side of the forum?
Yes, primarily the skiing forums.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
ONly thing that annoys me are people who post milestone posts, like "1000 users" or "20000th post".

:lol:

-Stephen

P.S. Plus those folks who add useless comments to otherwise meaningful conversations.

Vortex

I'm still kind of a Newbie here. I should not comment on others and I won't again. I think you are handling the situationn well. I have talked to ChileMass and Thetrailboss and got some insight on their views. I came here because it was mellow. Some of the threads don't have the same tone they did previously.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Perhaps, it's just a natural evolution as a forum grows? Maybe I should just lighten up? Quite possibly it's just a few personalities that don't mesh well?
yes. no. yes.

things have definitely picked up here this season and discussion actually keeps getting better, imo. i think we've had some personality clash and quite a few uncalled for comments. unless i am antagonized first and feel the need to voice an appropriate response, i always try to pretend i have met someone that i am responding to. it's amazing how differently you shape your posts. if i am responding to an antagonizing post, well... i'd respond the same way in person any ways ;)

generally people like to defend themselves when they are called out, especially inappropriately. that's okay. but once a thread starts going back and forth off topic about the posters words, syntax, meaning, and/or symantics instead of the topic, i think a well placed and well worded post by a mod could simmer things back down to respectable levels. not advocating locking threads, but rather neautrally steering things back in the intended direction of the post.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
It seems that lately there are some posters who do not respect other people's right to express their opinions and jump all over them when they do. Some of these tend to target certain people, others just pounce on anyone and everyone that does not agree with their point of view.

Honestly, I can't say that this behavior encourages me to post. I have posted little if anything lately. There have been a few times that I have been pounces on for expressing my opinion or making a comment that someone doesn't like (like my , "See, I can't win!" post which has in a way become a trademark post for me...and was meant light heartedly). I come here to enjoy myself, express my opinions on topics and share, not to be put down.

awf170

First of all I'm a BIG MF'R. Today, after about 1 miles of x-c skiing I tipped the scales at 230 lbs. Consequently, if you hit me, you wouldn't be sitting there at your computer making cheesy insulting replies. In fact, if you hit me, bozo, I would have turned around and put your lights out without giving you the benefit of a quote of the law at all. To be quite honest, punk, I go through life waiting for some s.o.b to hit me because I'm a killer. I make eratic, ratical turns in front of snowboarders, and I carry a knife. On top of that I've got police records as long as your arm in the states of N.H., Vt. and Ma. Jail is my home away from home, and mental hospitals are my heaven on earth. The only reason I ski would be that my family thinks it has a good influence on my depraved personality. They hire expensive lawyers that keep me on the slopes. Nevertheless, I gave the 9/11 terrorists a pat on the back at Logan before they entered their planes. You see, I especially hate New Yorkers who think they own the world. I'm not alone, am I?

Thats crazy who would say something like that?
Thats defitenly over the line.

hammer

awf170, that first paragraph's not your post, is it? I'm not asking you to name names (if you look around you'll see who the author is), but I just don't want anyone else to think that you wrote it.

BTW, I hate to see topics locked, but if they have to be because they're feeding the trolls, then it's a small price to pay.

skijay

There have been ridiculous posts made which I feel are intended to be the start of a flaming war. Posts such as the ski attire of patrons at a certain ski area is one that is fresh in my mind. I will not respond to it because I know it is not credible and just a waste of time to respond.

bvibert

Staff member
First of all I'm a BIG MF'R. Today, after about 1 miles of x-c skiing I tipped the scales at 230 lbs. Consequently, if you hit me, you wouldn't be sitting there at your computer making cheesy insulting replies. In fact, if you hit me, bozo, I would have turned around and put your lights out without giving you the benefit of a quote of the law at all. To be quite honest, punk, I go through life waiting for some s.o.b to hit me because I'm a killer. I make eratic, ratical turns in front of snowboarders, and I carry a knife. On top of that I've got police records as long as your arm in the states of N.H., Vt. and Ma. Jail is my home away from home, and mental hospitals are my heaven on earth. The only reason I ski would be that my family thinks it has a good influence on my depraved personality. They hire expensive lawyers that keep me on the slopes. Nevertheless, I gave the 9/11 terrorists a pat on the back at Logan before they entered their planes. You see, I especially hate New Yorkers who think they own the world. I'm not alone, am I?

Thats probably the most disrespectful and mean thing I've ever read on the Internet... :( Completely out of line! :roll:

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:

Thats probably the most disrespectful and mean thing I've ever read on the Internet... :( Completely out of line! :roll:
Anyone else notice how quiet it is this morning...? ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
bvibert said:

Anyone else notice how quiet it is this morning...? ;)

Nice! Long time coming IMHO...

BeanoNYC

I'm new to posting in this forum. But have lurked since the beginning of this season. With only one exceptionm, I don't see anything out of the norm. When a forum grows in popularity, you will have to expect conflicting opinions and personalities. I had said yesterday that it is important to remember that we are here because we share a common interest. Now .... That 9/11 post really hit home. I worked in Manhattan for 8 years before I decided to teach. I saw both towers go down and lost a good friend that day. My town lost over 75 people on 9/11. That post was hateful. If I hadn't lurked for so long and didn't know the general tone of this forum I would have hightailed it out of here.