• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A day on the lower summits; Crawford Dome, Stairs, Resolution & Parker

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 05/24/2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Davis Path, Mt. Parker Trail, Mt. Langdon Trail & the required two Spurs

Total Distance: 12.9 to 13 miles as we wandered around the top of Resolution trying to find the alleged summit

Difficulty: Moderate, a bit of snow but easier than the plan to have done a Southern Presidential Traverse would have been.

Conditions: Overall in good shape, some inconsequential snow near Stairs Col & on the Mt.Parker trail mostly between Parker & Resolution. Did go in once or twice to just below the knee, I'd say in 13 miles there was 200 yards of snow overall

Special Required Equipment: Shorts & T-shirts unles you wanted to stay out on the exposed summits, then you needed another layer. We ate lunch on Resolution & in the 15-20 minutes we were there, we added hats, glove liners & a long sleeve shirt/jacket

Trip Report: When we met in the morning we were thinking of a long hike in the Presidentials which in the AM had 45 MPH winds & temps in the low 20's, when Garry brought up this option I came up with a word to describe our two choices, one was adventurous & the other was smart. After Adventurous, the other words we thought might describe a Presidential trip could be ill-fated, dumb, shortened. The Davis path option was going to be fun, lightly traveled, crampons & face masks left in the cars.

When we got to Crawford Dome, the Presidentials were in the clouds but Carrigain & most of the other peaks were wide open. On Resolution, the Presidentials have cleared but we noticed the buildings/antennae on Washington were covered in white. It still was a bit brisk in the wind on the open slabs on the 3,000 foot peaks too. We had thought about doing Mt. Langdon also but at the turn heading to the shelter & the summit the trail was even more over growned that the Mt. Parker trail was east of Mt. Parker. Once you entered the Wilderness area though, the trail widens a bit to a lot as you get closer to Bartlett.

Didn't bring a camera because I thought we would be in the Presidentials where I had been many times before & will be again in June. I should have brought one + we saw a moose right next to Route 302 not far from the Davis Path lot on our way to dinner.

Last edited: