• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another gear thread....What do you have? What do you want?

Greg

Staff member
Seriously, makes no difference to me, but to those who are jumping off cliffs and participating in Big Mountain Competitions, that is the difference between balance and AAAAAAACKKKK!

I think you got owned.

drjeff

2mm :blink: :blink: That's .0787 inches or 1/12.7 inches. Some one's legs are being pulled.

We're talking the width of a standard paper clip here folks!

For reference, that litle loop next to the dime is 1/16" which is pretty darn close to 2mm!

B2mmDRa.jpg

Boy, if we're at this level of minutia discussion right now and it's not even June yet, what will we be talking about come August :rolleyes:

Hawkshot99

Question on the binding mounting for you bump addics who have kept up with the times. Does a 1cm difference really make that much of a difference? Aren't we splitting hairs here?

I have played on some of our demo twin tips that have a regular demo binding on them. You can move the mounting point forward or back without drilling.

Take a few runs then move it, and try again. No I can not feel a 1 cm difference, but much mor than that and you do notice it. Riding a core center mount ski when used to boot center, is a HUGE difference!

jack97

Your techs must have had precision instruments; the thickness from my ultra fine point sharpie is .5mm. My guess (that I pulled out from the air) is that the mismatched between my binding mounts is around 1- 2 mm.

jack97

Boy, if we're at this level of minutia discussion right now and it's not even June yet, what will we be talking about come August :rolleyes:

Dunno, I'm still thinking about making my clown poles shorter, got them down to 40 inches..... maybe another .050 inches will do the trick.

bvibert

Staff member
Dunno, I'm still thinking about making my clown poles shorter, got them down to 40 inches..... maybe another .050 inches will do the trick.

You gotta talk about it in metric to make it seem cooler, even better is if you mix inches and metric...

After many careful measurements I'm gonna cut my 40 inch clown poles down 1.2mm on the left pole and 1.3mm on the right pole, that will account for the slight variance in arm length that I measured.

jack97

You gotta talk about it in metric to make it seem cooler, even better is if you mix inches and metric...

After many careful measurements I'm gonna cut my 40 inch clown poles down 1.2mm on the left pole and 1.3mm on the right pole, that will account for the slight variance in arm length that I measured.

You're right bro, got to stick with metric or mils (1/1000 inches) imo just as cool. My problem right now is the caliper I have is only accurate to .5mils.... bummer. And the pipe cutter I have just isn't giving me a tight enuf cut.

Hawkshot99

My problem right now is the caliper I have is only accurate to .5mils.... bummer. And the pipe cutter I have just isn't giving me a tight enuf cut.

I can measure it real nice and accurate, but I can never get it to break right on the line when i snap it over my knee......:smash:

Philpug

I keep cutting my poles down..they are still too short.

jack97

5' 7" got my poles down to 40 inches. I was using 42 inches but gave them to my 10 year old.