• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another gear thread....What do you have? What do you want?

damn AZ is the site for people with clown poles..Are there any normal folks with 48 or 50 inches poles or is this site filled with midgets..lol

Greg

Staff member
damn AZ is the site for people with clown poles..Are there any normal folks with 48 or 50 inches poles or is this site filled with midgets..lol

So...let's see...if you're the exception rather than the rule, who's normal? Clown poles are mad steezy yo.

jack97

Check out the clown poles on these gals.

011307_31036_1_2579_news.jpg

JennHeil2_lg.jpg

Kristi_sm.jpg

jack97

Wow! Look at that forward lean :eek:

I got to quit looking at these type of girlie pics.

St.Pierre1.jpg

jack97

:idea:

Nah, too easy.

In all seriousness though, there is something undeniably hot about a really good bump skiing chick.

In a way I was serious, Kristi Richards poling doesn't seem to be consistent, she's casting too early with her left and doesn't release the right arm thus letting her right shoulder rotate up the hill. The you tube vid shows this, yeah she won the championship with that run but the poling stands out.

Jen on the other hand has a nice counter position with her free (non poling hand), the segment start at the 12:00 mark really shows this.

I got to stop looking at these girlie vids :dunce:

deadheadskier

Staff member

I use normal size poles. I might hack them down a couple of inches as there were a few times this spring where I felt them to be a tad long in the bumps. I certainly won't be going clown style though as on any given day I'll spend about 60% of my time tops in the bumps.

Even in High School when I skied bumps 95% of the time and competed a little bit, I didn't go clown style.

Park rats are also into clown poles. One run I traded poles with one of the Jibhonks from PASR..he's 5'7 and uses 42 inch poles..I don't think the poles touched the snow the entire run..I was pole planting into air. At the top of most runs..I like to use my poles to help accelerate..as every extra bit of speed helps/

At Blue mountain there is only one bump run..It's really nice and forgiving about 1/3 of the time..about 1/3 of the time it's O.K...not great but skiable and about 1/3 of the time..it's solid boilerplate from freezing rain.

When it's good I'll take several runs in the bumps each session..when it's O.K. maybe a few runs..and when it's bad..usually one run..but on ski trips I'm in the bumps much more. It's hard to ski a place like Jackson Hole or Stowe without encountering any moguls unless it's a huge powder day or you stick to the groomers and flats...If I entered a bump competition..I'd probably rock 40 inch poles..JEAAAA!!!

drjeff

I hear you GSS! I almost feel guilty saying I use a pair of [size=+4]52"[/size] :eek: composite fiber glorified shish-ka-bob sticks!

Trekchick

I'm 5'6" and have 48 inch poles. I want to get a 46" pair to have as an option, and am thinking Goode.
The poles I am currently using are the Leki trigger grips that were on sale at REI last year. I couldn't pass up the deal, but I have wanted a pair of goode poles for about 5 years and never take the plunge.
Any suggestions on Goode,(model's and features)?

mondeo

In a way I was serious, Kristi Richards poling doesn't seem to be consistent, she's casting too early with her left and doesn't release the right arm thus letting her right shoulder rotate up the hill.

Yeah, I get ya. In my observations, it seems like if you take 20 skiers on a bump run, you'll get 5 that shouldn't be there, 5 really good skiers that don't know how to ski bumps, 5 that know how to ski bumps but are definite works in progress, 4 that have the A&E and turning down but their arms are going out to the side, and one that has everything going for them. It is very rare that you get someone whose poling is better than any other part of their technique. Not that any part of my technique is good (I'd call it all progressing,) but I do try to focus on proper poling as I find it makes everything else easier.

I use normal size poles. I might hack them down a couple of inches as there were a few times this spring where I felt them to be a tad long in the bumps. I certainly won't be going clown style though as on any given day I'll spend about 60% of my time tops in the bumps.

Even in High School when I skied bumps 95% of the time and competed a little bit, I didn't go clown style.

Proper bump pole size is definitely, for me at least, something I can feel the difference after changing but not really realize when using the longer poles. Last year I was using 48" poles, and didn't really feel any need to go shorter. When I tried 46" poles this year I immediately felt the difference, to the point of the one time I went back to 48" poles (thought I was going to be skiing with friends and not in the bumps,) they were so frustrating that I ended up bending them into a 90° angle after I got home. 46" poles still feel fine for me, but when I watch video I can see that the poles are definitely pushing my hands up a bit towards shoulder level. Only problem is that it's hard enough skating with 46" poles as it is; new HSQ at Skye peak should help alleviate those difficulties some next year, though.

jack97

In my observations, it seems like if you take 20 skiers on a bump run, you'll get 5 that shouldn't be there, 5 really good skiers that don't know how to ski bumps, 5 that know how to ski bumps but are definite works in progress, 4 that have the A&E and turning down but their arms are going out to the side, and one that has everything going for them.

I know what you mean, every know and then I see skiers as below with long poles and compounding that problem by planting on the front side of the bump.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
So would length would classify as 'clown poles' for me? I'm 5'9" (on a good day) and I currently use a 46" pole.

I was thinking of cutting them down to maybe a 44.

bigbog

Yes...pants a definite! Have two jackets...one red, the other burnt red and orange, both breathe magnificently...I now hate red....:roll: Tried a nice looking blue shell @end-of-season(~04)-sale...was supposed to really breathe...it didn't = Not a fun April day!...beautiful sun, hiking up 16"deep champagne powder, ~36F, warm Spring day wind...you name it....but Not FUN when the shell to top "all other shells" becomes a cold rain forest inside the shell when zipped...sold that thing. Guess I can hold onto one(the Marmot) and grin & bear it..

Last edited: