• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what to eat

MtnMagic

Many backpackers eat various bars for breakfast. I do too and agree 100%, they're perfect; light weight, no cooking, an instant meal, no cleanup, hit the trail fast. Yet on some backpacks I feel the need to treat myself to a special feast. Other than oatmeal, freezed dried meals and soup, I feel the need to eat something more than them, or a bagel or 3. I've been known to bring frozen turkey bacon and eggs, canned beef stew, and frozen fish/shrimp. After some days on the trail, I often feel the need of a big, solid meal and don't mind a mere 2 or 3 lbs extra. After burning a 3500 calories during a day of tramping, sometimes the big meal with a fine beverage just soothes my soul. And why not? It brings forth happiness and allows a great night's sleep!

twigeater

Website
community.webshots.com
For suppers I usually bring some "base" items, then some "add mes." The base can be mashed potato, mac&cheese, tortellini, rice meals, etc. The add mes are dehydrated onions, veggies, cheese, foil pouch meats, whatever....all are made with minimum cooking time (5 minutes) or just add water.

Breakfasts are oatmeal, mountain house eggs, precooked bacon...stuff like that.

Lunch is whatever - snacks on the trail, foil pouch tuna on tortillas, cheese and crackers, hummus...

MtnMagic

Mountain House meals are so tasty, I love them!

At Shaws this week thru Thursday all Fantastic Food soups are 3/$4. Stock up time.

coberg

Website
www.hike-nh.com
I can't believe no one mentioned MREs in this list! No brainer these days, just open and eat!

I read through this thread quickly, so if someone did mention them, sorry!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Fantastic Foods soups - yuck!

Actually, I've gone over to just bringing Ichiban noodles for backpacking trips. Cut up some hard cheese (Gruyer, mostly) into them and that's dinner. This year I may even toss in dehydrated green peas. Mac & cheese makes a fine substitute for the noodles, too.

If I'm cooking for more than myself, I might bring a boil-in-bag of white rice and a foil pouch of lentils (Ethnic Gourmet). It's heavy, but for multiple people the weight's amortized and they're yummy.

I love the foil pouch tuna, hummus and pita bread for lunches or snacks. Maybe a hard-boiled egg. If I have the space, I'll bring a small bag of potato chips (mmm - salt!) otherwise crackers, usually Goldfish.

I started out with all freeze-dried meals and instant powerbars; now I accept the weight and bring some real food because it's just so worth it.

W

Weary Wanderer

Only once tasted Military Meals' beef stew :angry: I think those first WW trench tins looked and tasted the same. Does anyone prepare anything by himself on his trail?

coberg said:
I can't believe no one mentioned MREs in this list! No brainer these days, just open and eat!

I read through this thread quickly, so if someone did mention them, sorry!

madman

MichaelJ said:
Fantastic Foods soups - yuck!

I started out with all freeze-dried meals and instant powerbars; now I accept the weight and bring some real food because it's just so worth it.
I started out the other way . My big thing other than weight is clean up. Dried meats and trail mix work for my salt craveings. I know a lot of people hate wal mart but try there trail mix! You cant make better for the price and they have different varities[/quote]

dmc

Top ramon.. A small jar of peanut butter..
some humus.. A few pitas..
A stick of summer sausage and a big hunk of cheese...

And beer..

madman

I go with brandy ! You need to take into consiteration the weight to buzz ratio. [yes i know of other lighter substances but i get tested for work]

Mike P.

A friend carrys MRE's even on day hikes, I will say the freeze dried Ice cream is pretty tasty, it's not the real thing but then again it transports on your back much better. :p

pepsi

Didn't see them mentioned:
Enertia meals are my new favorite for a hot meal. I picked some up somewhere a few years ago and now they have them at EMS. Tip: Use an ounce or two less water than the directions call for and crush the sauce up in the baggie before adding it to the meal. They're smaller than the Mountain House so it might not be enough for some people but they taste great.

For lunch I usually just have a foil packed tuna or chicken mixed with one of those small packets of mayo on a tortilla or pocket bread.

I snack all the time on dried fruit and such so by the time I stop to eat I don't really need a big meal.

N

NHhiker

dmc said:
And beer..

yeah, that would be great after a long day of hiking. but unfortunately im only 14 and cant exactly get it whenever i want :roll: . i really cant wait till 21 comes round' :beer:

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
Whatever you eat, one thing to avoid when picking your camping food is trans-fats. Look at the ingredients - if you see the word "Hydrogenated," don't buy it. Because of public pressure, many food companies are now leaving trans-fats out of their foods, so there are now plenty of options that don't use the stuff.

Unfortunately, Mountain House still has trans-fats in most of their foods. So does Campfood. Alpine Aire is usually pretty good.

I won't repeat the reasons why you want to avoid it - but you can do a search on trans fats or hydrogenated fats to find out.