• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift served mountain biking

gmcunni

i'm not much of a biker but my son has been after me to take him north (VT,NH, ??) to a ski resort that offers mountain biking during the summer. What he's looking for is a place that takes you up on the lift and you ride down one of the ski trails.

What I am looking for is a place that won't kill us. Looking for a leisurely ride, not some extreme mountain bike challenge!!

I see Killington and Sugarbush appear to offer this but having never ridden there i have no idea how "safe" they are. I'm looking for a "beginner" trail. Would prefer a place that has other non-biking attractions too as wife and daughter won't bike but might like to shop or do other things.

Any suggestions?

mlctvt

Mount Snow offers some good choices and the runs aren't too steep. You can come down wide ski trails or go into trails in the trees that are a bit more technical. They run the two high speed quads with bike racks attached. The summit access usually starts sometimes in June.
link to their website http://www.mountsnow.com/mountainbiking.html?season=summer

Philpug

Killington is very good. Sugarbush was awful last year. I haven't ridden Mt. Snow yet, but really want to. will be heading up to Kingdom Trail (Burke) in two weeks to check that out.

tjf67

Mt Snow has some tame trails from the lifts all thing considered. They ahve been at it a while so the network good. Good trails right around the base to if you get tired of riding down hill.
The only other hill I have ridden is whiteface. They do have a bus that will bring you to a small section that is great for people that dont have a grasp on it yet. Once you get to the Ghondi there is no real easy way down. Crazy lines though. I am always amazed what you can ride over on a bike

MR. evil

Do you and your son have full suspension bikes (front & rear shocks)? While it is not required, it will make doing anysort of down hill riding easier on the body.

gmcunni

Do you and your son have full suspension bikes (front & rear shocks)? While it is not required, it will make doing anysort of down hill riding easier on the body.

:lol: my bike is a 15 year old schwinn. I added a gel-pack seat cover a few years ago but that is about it in terms comfort !

gmcunni

Mount Snow offers some good choices and the runs aren't too steep. You can come down wide ski trails or go into trails in the trees that are a bit more technical. They run the two high speed quads with bike racks attached. The summit access usually starts sometimes in June.

Mt Snow has some tame trails from the lifts all thing considered. They ahve been at it a while so the network good. Good trails right around the base to if you get tired of riding down hill.

I checked the MT SNOW web site and noticed this warning
"ATTENTION: LIFT-ACCESSED TRAILS ARE FOR ADVANCED RIDERS ONLY!"

are they just trying to protect themselves or are the lift served trails tough?

most of my riding is on the "rails to trails" area in my hometown.

MR. evil

They are trying to cover their ass. Ussually Down hill trails are marked just like ski trails (green, blue, Black). While the green trails are eaier than the rest, they are still not smooth (smaller rocks & roots) and you can pick up quite a bit of speed. I don;t think I would attemp and down hill riding on a 15 year old bike. I would guess you have V brakes and maybe 3" of front suspension. Good luck!

gmcunni

I would guess you have V brakes and maybe 3" of front suspension. Good luck!

I'm illiterate when it comes to biking so i googled what V brakes are. The first hit was for "Shimano XTR BR-M970 V-Brakes" which cost more than my entire bike did years ago!

perhaps it is time for an upgrade.

bvibert

Staff member
With a 15 year old bike you're probably lucky if you have v-brakes, I was thinking canti's at best.

tjf67

:lol: my bike is a 15 year old schwinn. I added a gel-pack seat cover a few years ago but that is about it in terms comfort !

When you were asking that question I was assuming you have a full suspension bike. You cant take that bile up the lift and get down without killing yourself. All the hill rent down hill bikes you would have more fun it you rented one of those.

Dont mind the signs about being dangerous. That is what the breaks are for.

gmcunni

With a 15 year old bike you're probably lucky if you have v-brakes, I was thinking canti's at best.

gold star for you. this is what mine look like

canti-shimano.gif

MR. evil

gold star for you. this is what mine look like

canti-shimano.gif

Those are cantilever breaks, old technology. Even when they were state of the art they sucked.

I say rent a bike while you are there. But if the time comes when you want to get a new bike shoot me off a PM. If you give me what you are looking to spend I can point you in the right direction. Never go into a bike shop without knowing what you need & want. Most of those places are worst than used car lots and they will try to put you into the most expensive bike they think you will go for.

Philpug

V brakes came out in 96 or so. The parallel/push setup of the first XT and XTR were very good designs. Currently I am running Hayes Nines withb 8" disc in the front and a 6" in the rear.

drjeff

One of those trails covered under that disclaimer is Deer Run off the summit in it's 2.5 miles of meandering downhill glory. In the summer it's also maintained as a work road and much of the bike trail is car/truck width cleared dirt/gravel. It should be even more maintained for much of this summer as they'll be doing fan gun installation along it from the top of Carinthia to the top of the Sundance triple, and last summer on the trails where they were doing the fan gun installations they construction equipment had made a very well maintained roadway.

They do have a very detailed trail map, but not online as they want to to sign the waiver before they give it to you.

gmcunni

One of those trails covered under that disclaimer is Deer Run off the summit in it's 2.5 miles of meandering downhill glory.

That is EXACTLY what i'm looking for!!! Thanks Dr Jeff!

They do have a very detailed trail map, but not online as they want to to sign the waiver before they give it to you.
would you happen to have one you can share ;-)