• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

BC Gear ?

S

Skid Jackson

Back in 91 and 92 i was out at jackson hole and did some back country skiing w/tele gear. I've hiked the whites quite a bit, (not recently) and am wondering if you need to go w/the total backcounrty gear thing to ski some of the trails on mtns like Cardigan or moosileauke (sp) or can you get away w/regular alpine gear?? I have always wanted to check out some of those trails, but never knew anyone into it. Hopefully i can hook up w/some people and check it out. So whats the deal w/alpine gear in NH back country

B

BC Skier

BC Gear

There are many trails in NH and Vermont that are great back country gear. I too would love to try out Moosilauke and Cardigan, as well as the Tucker Brook Trail on Cannon. You can do all these trail with alpine gear. I started by skiing in Tuckerman Ravine with alpine gear. Last year, I puchased Scarpa Laser boots and Diamir Fritschi bindings last year and was very happy with them. I am looking forward to not carrying my gear this year. The real benefit of backcountry gear is that you can wear it on the way up.

I am too am always looking for someone to hike and ski with. I am planning on heading up to Tuckerman's Ravine December 13th. Looks like there should be a good amount of snow with a 24 inch base already.

Greg

Staff member
Re: BC Gear

BC Skier said:
I am planning on heading up to Tuckerman's Ravine December 13th. Looks like there should be a good amount of snow with a 24 inch base already.
Is it safe to ski Tuckerman this early? I always thought that you should wait until late March or April due to high avalanche danger in early/mid-winter...

B

BC Skier

Tuckerman's in December

Its too early to know what will be safe or unsafe. I have not intention of skiing the headwall or any of the other avalanche prone areas. However, there is quite bit of minor slopes where I believe I can practice a few turns. As a last alternative, the ski down the sherburn is exhillerating. I'd skin up and ski that at least twice for the exercise.

Greg

Staff member
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying and sorry to get off topic.