• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Giant Mt. ADKs June 1, 2008

highpeaksdrifter

We hit the Ridge Trail about 8:00 AM. The skys where overcast, but not low so we got many great views on the way up. Unfortunately, about 400 feet from the summit we hit the mist and had no view at all from the summit. It was cold and windy on top. This was the first time I hiked Giant. On the way down we saw a lone fly fisherman in an inflatable raft in Giant Washbowl, very serine. We had a great hike; I just wish it was clear on the top.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Giant is a really rewarding hike 'cause of the steep ascent (bang for your buck!) and outstanding views along the way (thanks to the fire damage from the turn of last century).

If you go on a hot summer day, though, make sure you make enough water, because there isn't much water.

highpeaksdrifter

Giant is a really rewarding hike 'cause of the steep ascent (bang for your buck!) and outstanding views along the way (thanks to the fire damage from the turn of last century).

If you go on a hot summer day, though, make sure you make enough water, because there isn't much water.

CBMP, from this and other posts I've read of yours I get the impression you've bagged alot of High Peak Summits. RU a 46er?

ComeBackMudPuddles

CBMP, from this and other posts I've read of yours I get the impression you've bagged alot of High Peak Summits. RU a 46er?

Yes, you've outed me! Been one since the early 90s (low 3000s). I did it with my dad, which made the experience all the better for me.

Mike P.

Congrats on being a 46er. I'm slowly working on it. Giant & RPR are great summits for views, at some point I need to do the trip from Route 9.

hpd, how many do you have left?

highpeaksdrifter

hpd, how many do you have left?

Only 38 left. Should have them all done by the end of the month.:lol:;-)

I use to hike only a few times a year and it was mostly in the Lake George area. Now that we have a place in Wilmington I hike more often. I also do lesser peaks like Noonmark, Round, Catamount and Rooster Comb. I doubt I’ll ever be a 46er.

Mike P.

I am visiting some of the smaller peaks also, most with a view. Have been to Hurricane, Baxter, Jo, Vanderwhacker, Table (I think that wa it, overlooking one of the Au Sable Lakes) & Blue so far. Plan next month to get to Pitch-off.

Last edited: