• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

08/09 Nordica Lineup

wa-loaf

Little ski industry secret, most of the Nordica skis are built by Fischer...

Same design and specs or just built in the same factory with Nordica's own specs. Because I think there's a big difference there. The second being not such a big deal.

Are the Nordica boots built with toes angled out a little? There's some name for this that I can't recall. I know some other companies are doing this with at least some of their boots. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Its called an abducted stance. Nordica does it in the dobermann aggressor (race boots) and in their new sportmachine line (recreational performance) for 0809. Atomic does it in their race boots...Fischer does it in their entire line. Advantage...stand up, relax...now look down at your feet...are they pointed straight ahead or are they angled slightly outward? If you're like 85-90% of the population you stand in a slightly abducted position...but most ski boots force you to point your feet straight ahead...internally rotates your femur, tilts your pelvis, and puts strain on your joints. Try walking with your feet pointed straight ahead, see how it feels. The abducted boots adapt the position of the ski boot to the human anatomy vs forcing the human anatomy to adapt to the ski boot. I started skiing in an abducted boot this year (after over 30 years of skiing in traditional boots) and I had less knee pain than in previous seasons (have some tendonitis in my knees) and felt like my legs lasted longer each day. Ski gets into the turn quicker too...my short radius turns have never been as quick as they were this season. Riding switch is a whole lot easier and more comfortable too.

Same design and specs or just built in the same factory with Nordica's own specs. Because I think there's a big difference there. The second being not such a big deal.

Nordica's specs, Fischer's factory, tooling, and finishing. Elan used to build some Nordicas too...one season I had a Wave 9.1 F and a Wave 9.1 MF....the F was built in Slovenia by Elan and the MF was built in Italy...probably by Nordica as they're based in Italy. The MF's delamed but the F was the best ski I'd ever owned at that time.

highpeaksdrifter

Little ski industry secret, most of the Nordica skis are built by Fischer...

I wouldn’t say a secret it’s just that with so many consolidations in the ski equipment industry these days the lines get blurred and it’s hard to keep up. Nordica is part of the Tecnica group. http://www.tecnicagroup.com/

Nordica race stock skis are made in Italy the rest in Slovenia.

Its called an abducted stance. Nordica does it in the dobermann aggressor (race boots) and in their new sportmachine line (recreational performance) for 0809. Atomic does it in their race boots...Fischer does it in their entire line. Advantage...stand up, relax...now look down at your feet...are they pointed straight ahead or are they angled slightly outward? If you're like 85-90% of the population you stand in a slightly abducted position...but most ski boots force you to point your feet straight ahead...internally rotates your femur, tilts your pelvis, and puts strain on your joints. Try walking with your feet pointed straight ahead, see how it feels. The abducted boots adapt the position of the ski boot to the human anatomy vs forcing the human anatomy to adapt to the ski boot. I started skiing in an abducted boot this year (after over 30 years of skiing in traditional boots) and I had less knee pain than in previous seasons (have some tendonitis in my knees) and felt like my legs lasted longer each day. Ski gets into the turn quicker too...my short radius turns have never been as quick as they were this season. Riding switch is a whole lot easier and more comfortable too.

Spot on, great explanation. Which abducted boots did you ski?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say a secret it’s just that with so many consolidations in the ski equipment industry these days the lines get blurred and it’s hard to keep up. Nordica is part of the Tecnica group. http://www.tecnicagroup.com/

Nordica race stock skis are made in Italy the rest in Slovenia.

Spot on, great explanation.

I meant secret as in most folks buying Brand A on the wall would have no idea that they were built by Brand B...and lots of people have preconceived notions of who "makes" a good ski. Most folks on the chairlift have no idea that Volkl and Marker are owned by K2...that Atomic and Salomon are owned by the same company...or that Tecnica, Nordica, and Blizzard are under the same umbrella as Rollerblade.

Thanks...spent some time bootfitting in the past.

Trekchick

What dimensions are you looking for?
Those dimensions were filled with the 174 Soft Bro. My midfat will likely be the Twisted twin, while the carver in my quiver will be the Hart Beat!

The Hart Beat performs much like the Firefox(maybe a little less pop) but will hold up in the powder push and chop better. Trust me, I've demo'd and compared. The one thing the FF has that the HB doesn't is that sling shot feel when you come out of a turn!!!WOW!

I see a lot of guys touting the Victory as their wife's fav ski...........
While the Victory is a great ski fellas, if you get your wife on the Conquer, you'll make her quiver, QUIVER!!!!!

Trust me, I'm the chick with a quiver ;)

highpeaksdrifter

I meant secret as in most folks buying Brand A on the wall would have no idea that they were built by Brand B...and lots of people have preconceived notions of who "makes" a good ski. Most folks on the chairlift have no idea that Volkl and Marker are owned by K2...that Atomic and Salomon are owned by the same company...or that Tecnica, Nordica, and Blizzard are under the same umbrella as Rollerblade.

Thanks...spent some time bootfitting in the past.

Let’s add to the confusion:

Salomon and Atomic http://www.amersports.com/

Quicksilver the surfing king has Rossi, Dynastar, Look and Lang

K2 and Volkl - Located in New Hampshire, Völkl Sport America is the importer and distributor of Völkl products in the United States. Völkl is a subsidiary of Völkl International. K2 Corporation of Carlsbad, California owns both Völkl Sport America and Völkl International. K2 was acquired by the Jarden Corporation in 2007.

Head –Tyrolia – Mares - http://www2.head.com/corporate/index.php

Tecnica group – Tecnica, Nordica, Dolomite, and Blizzard http://www.tecnicagroup.com/

Who am I leaving out?

K2 and Volkl - Located in New Hampshire, Völkl Sport America is the importer and distributor of Völkl products in the United States. Völkl is a subsidiary of Völkl International. K2 Corporation of Carlsbad, California owns both Völkl Sport America and Völkl International. K2 was acquired by the Jarden Corporation in 2007.

Tecnica group – Tecnica, Nordica, Dolomite, and Blizzard http://www.tecnicagroup.com/

Who am I leaving out?

Elan/Dalbello...formerly under seperate distribution here in the US, now under the same umbrella...some rumors that Dalbello may buy Rossignol were going around this spring.

Marker also owned by K2...along with Ride, Morrow, Tubbs, Line...the list goes on

Fischer...still family owned and independant

Kastle...making a come back, owned by a european group that also owns KTM motorcycles

Then all the smaller indy companies like Armada, Movement, 4frnt, etc

I'm sure I've forgotten something...

deadheadskier

Staff member

Who am I leaving out?

Are Dolomite's still being manufactured? The link from the Tecnica group site is dead. I actually use Dolomite boots now, but they're getting old and I haven't seen any in shops for a long time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yup...they're still out there...just hard to find.

That's a bummer. I really enjoy mine, especially because of the fifth buckle. I have a pretty wide forefoot, but my ankles are narrow, so it's difficult to find a boot that accommodates both. The Dolomite does this quite well and the fifth buckle does wonders with locking the heal down and back into the boot. I don't know why other boots don't incorporate this approach as I think its excellent.

tjf67

i Really Like My Hot Rod Boots. They Are The Best Fit I've Ever Had In A Boot. But, They Have A Big Problem With Snow Getting Into The Shell And On A Cold Day My Toes Get Frozen To The Point Of Frostbite. Because Of That I'm Not Sure I Would Make The Same Choice In Boot Again. It's Very Frustrating Because I Do Like The Boots A Lot. I Don't Know If Anyone Else Has The Same Issues With Nordica Boots Or Not.

Boot Glove

Geoff

I think a lot of people also place too much faith in Ski/Skiing Magazine gear reviews. There isn't that big a difference 'tween the same ski for the market segment in the different product lines. It's marketing and brand management. Last winter, I was on a half-dozen different 85-mm all mountain skis with a 20-ish meter natural turn radius. Several were rentals on quick west trips. Others were demos. There just isn't a whole lot of difference.

Back in the dark ages when I worked in a ski shop, Olin had marketed the hell out of the Mark IV and Mark IV Comp. The ski mags raved about it. I demoed both of them and thought both were the worst thing I'd ever been on. No edge hold. Unstable at even moderate speeds. A western soft snow and bump ski. People used to walk in the shop and ask for them. We were told to respond, when asked about them "Olin Mark IV? That's a very well marketed product." Don't slam the ski. Smile and take their money. If it was a frequent repeat customer, offer to let them demo both the Olin and anything else in the shop for the price of one demo and the demo cost would be applied towards their purchase. Those people always came back really thankful that they'd avoided a buying mistake.

I think a lot of people also place too much faith in Ski/Skiing Magazine gear reviews. There isn't that big a difference 'tween the same ski for the market segment in the different product lines. It's marketing and brand management. Last winter, I was on a half-dozen different 85-mm all mountain skis with a 20-ish meter natural turn radius. Several were rentals on quick west trips. Others were demos. There just isn't a whole lot of difference.

Back in the dark ages when I worked in a ski shop, Olin had marketed the hell out of the Mark IV and Mark IV Comp. The ski mags raved about it. I demoed both of them and thought both were the worst thing I'd ever been on. No edge hold. Unstable at even moderate speeds. A western soft snow and bump ski. People used to walk in the shop and ask for them. We were told to respond, when asked about them "Olin Mark IV? That's a very well marketed product." Don't slam the ski. Smile and take their money. If it was a frequent repeat customer, offer to let them demo both the Olin and anything else in the shop for the price of one demo and the demo cost would be applied towards their purchase. Those people always came back really thankful that they'd avoided a buying mistake.
Gonna have to disagree with you on some of that ...I've been in the hardgoods side of the ski biz for the last 20 years and have demoed/tested a significant # of skis in that time...I've always found there to be some fairly significant differences between similar models from different brands...not that some are great and others are terrible, but they can have very different feels to them. Volkls tend to have a pretty solid tail on them and will kick you out of the turn if you're on your heels while most K2s are pretty soft in the tail and won't punish you for skidding or sliding the end of your turn. Some skis feel like butchers knives while others feel like guinsu knives...some skis are lively and snappy while others are smooth and damp. I've seen the mag testers in action...they take what they are doing seriously and strive to provide the best reviews they can...a lot of skis get good marks because there are a lot of good skis out there...but there are a number of skis entered into the tests that don't make the cut. The caveat with the magazine tests is that most of the testers are former racers, instructors, coaches, big mtn riders, etc...so what they experience with any given ski is not necessarily the same experience that john q pubilc is going to have. Magazine reviews are a worthwhile part of the search and a good place to start and narrow the search but demoing is the best way to determine what is going to be the best ski for your particular style, preferred terrain, turn shape, etc.