• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

08/09 Nordica Lineup

deadheadskier

Staff member
I need to give Nordica's a shot one of these days. For whatever reason, I still think of them as primarily a boot company; kind of like how I view Atomics as primarily a ski company.

I know.....out of date and a primitive way of thinking

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Supercharger Series = Ugly

I know, how superficial. But really... what is up with the park/powder/big mountain cross over skis from most ski companies needing to have ridiculous graphics. I usually buy based on performance, but there are a few skis I have written off based on graphics alone. That sorta thing is just distracting. G3 comes to mind right away.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree, while graphics are only superficial, some are just so over the top I'd rather find another option. What comes to mind with me are Full Tilt boots. I'd like to give them a shot, I just wish they didn't look so darn ridiculous.

wa-loaf

I agree, while graphics are only superficial, some are just so over the top I'd rather find another option. What comes to mind with me are Full Tilt boots. I'd like to give them a shot, I just wish they didn't look so darn ridiculous.

I think the speed machines are greatly improved over last years graphics the supercharger stuff do have too much going on, but I'm not likely to buy those anyway.

The design of the Full-tilts plays to the nostalgia of the old Raichle fans. There were people combing yard sales and salvation army stores trying to keep their old boots together. I had a pair and don't have a prob with the black and yellow. If i hadn't just bought new boots last year I'd be looking at them.

Trekchick

They are saying the Firefox is new in that line, but it was available last year. It is an amazing front side ski for an advanced/expert woman skier. Not for the faint of heart.

I will say this, Nordica has both impressed me and disappointed me in their women's skis.

Impressed = They are building womens' skis from the ground up, and not just dumbing down the version of the mens ski they are mimicing.

Disappointed = They still don't offer an off piste/twin tip ish/back country ski in the Olympia line. All the women's skis are on piste oriented/system skis. Sup wit dat?

drjeff

You couldn't pry my wife's Olympia Victories away from her with the world's largest crowbar. It's an absolute lovefest between her and those skis.

highpeaksdrifter

Supercharger Series = Ugly

I know, how superficial. But really... what is up with the park/powder/big mountain cross over skis from most ski companies needing to have ridiculous graphics. I usually buy based on performance, but there are a few skis I have written off based on graphics alone. That sorta thing is just distracting. G3 comes to mind right away.

I kinda like the Jah Love graphic. Crazy graphics? It’s what the kids want.

I’m all about the performance of the ski, but graphics do help sell. The whole industry is still trying to catch up to K2 in woman’s skis cause they started it all with Burning Love. Cute name, famine graphics and they caught fire with them.

A shop owner told me he was going to carry K2 for the first time this season. What that means to me are less Nordicas on his wall so I asked him how come. He told me he had too to get access to their woman’s line. He said he was tired of going to ski shows and seeing woman go straight for K2’s and buying without even looking at anything else.

For certain demographics graphics do help make the sale.

RISkier

I kinda like the Jah Love graphic. Crazy graphics? It’s what the kids want.

I’m all about the performance of the ski, but graphics do help sell. The whole industry is still trying to catch up to K2 in woman’s skis cause they started it all with Burning Love. Cute name, famine graphics and they caught fire with them.

A shop owner told me he was going to carry K2 for the first time this season. What that means to me are less Nordicas on his wall so I asked him how come. He told me he had too to get access to their woman’s line. He said he was tired of going to ski shows and seeing woman go straight for K2’s and buying without even looking at anything else.

For certain demographics graphics do help make the sale.

K2 really hit a home run with their skis for women. They've almost universally gotten very good reviews in all the publications. And every time I talk to a woman who skis them they luv them. My wife has a pair of the burnin luvs and she, well luvs them.

highpeaksdrifter

A lot .but eyes are always open for that New England powder/tree ski....:grin:

You might want to think about trying the Afterburner. At 126-84-112 not alot of width for a powder ski, but they do float nice. They have no metal in them, so they are light and an extremely easier turner at any speed. Nice for the trees.

I use the Hellcats for my powder ski (90 underfoot not real wide, but works for me). I like a stiffer ski (Hellcat has 2 sheets of technial), but Nordica is coming out with the Helldriver this season, it's the Hellcat minus the metal.

The wider Enforcers and the new Zeros might be to your liking too.

Grassi21

Jah is where it's at!

I'm rockin' Nordi boots and skis these days. I have to say I am developing brand loyalty.

highpeaksdrifter

They are saying the Firefox is new in that line, but it was available last year. It is an amazing front side ski for an advanced/expert woman skier. Not for the faint of heart.

It’s from the Canadian website, I don’t know why they have NEW over some skis that where already in the lineup. The only new ski in the Hot Rod series is the Helldriver, the rest are the same great skis with new graphics.

Impressed = They are building womens' skis from the ground up, and not just dumbing down the version of the mens ski they are mimicing.

Well said, Nordica is very committed to a great lineup of womens skis. They even use a certain type of wood for the core specific to the Olympia series.

Disappointed = They still don't offer an off piste/twin tip ish/back country ski in the Olympia line. All the women's skis are on piste oriented/system skis. Sup wit dat?

What dimensions are you looking for?

Hawkshot99

My shop will be carrying Nordica boots this year. I know nothing about them, except that they are loved by many on here.

What would you say they compare to, for shape? I think I want to definatly try on some, and maybe buy a pair.

Grassi21

Yeah, I was thinkin of getting a pair of Jah Loves just to see the expression on peoples faces when I ski them at WF.;-)

What boots and skis do you have Grass?

2 seasons on Beast 10s w/custom footbeds - love em
1 season on Hot Rod Nitrous - love em

wa-loaf

I really like my Hot Rod boots. They are the best fit I've ever had in a boot. BUT, they have a big problem with snow getting into the shell and on a cold day my toes get frozen to the point of frostbite. Because of that I'm not sure I would make the same choice in boot again. It's very frustrating because I do like the boots a lot. I don't know if anyone else has the same issues with Nordica boots or not.

RISkier

Are the Nordica boots built with toes angled out a little? There's some name for this that I can't recall. I know some other companies are doing this with at least some of their boots. What are the advantages/disadvantages?