Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 12

AlpineZone

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    Tim, I haven't ruled out an IBEX but am leaning towards an LBS just to establish a relationship for service. but IF i did go ibex, a couple of IBEX questions if you don't mind.

1. the assembly instructions seem straight forward and easy. in your opinion is it something the average DIY type of person can handle? i don't work on bikes much but do OK taking apart and putting back together stuff in general.
    2. regarding size of the frame. . lets say i am 5'8".. according to the geometry info on the bike i could go with a 16inch bike and be at the tall end of the sizing or go with the 18 inch frame and be on the short end. Which would be better? (i'm sure "it depends" but i have no clue). fwiw, i'm a "solid" 5' 8". not a skinny kid.

thanks
    gary
    Assembly was a breeze. The only things I had to were

1. Attach front wheel to fork. Took 30 seconds
    2. Install pedals, bike came with a pedal wrench. took a couple of minutes
    3. Attach handle bars to stem. 5 minutes

The bike comes 95% together, anyone can do the rest.

I am a hair over 6'-0" tall and I ride an 18". I could ride a 20" but I prefer a smaller bike. For you I would say a 16" would fit the bill.

bump. . .

Ok.. getting close to when i think i can start riding again.. I was up in Southbury this week and popped into Class Cycle to see what they had to offer. I also went to Smart Cycle in Norwalk last weekend.

I liked the guys @ Class. helpful, not pushy.

reminder what i'm looking for - notch above entry-level hard tail, $500 range. riding style is a mixed bag of recreational with family in neighborhood and rail trails PLUS want to venture off onto single track for more advanced riding. No plans on jumping off any large boulders or jumps (nothing that requires body armour).

At Class i saw
    Cannondale - F7 Disk - $499
    Felt Q620 - $599
    Trek 4500 - $579

while the trek has rim brakes the guy @ class said he considered it in a class above the canondale.
    any thoughts on these bikes?

Heading up to Berlin this weekend to see what they have @ suburban and also probably stop @ bikers edge.

Did you ride any of them to see which felt comfortable for you? That is the key to find a couple that fit you, then we will pick them apart for you

Berlin Bike is also right up the road from Suburban and I think he carries Specialized and another brand. I am pretty sure Suburban had the F7 there when I got m bike. he also carries Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Did you ride any of them to see which felt comfortable for you? That is the key to find a couple that fit you, then we will pick them apart for you

Berlin Bike is also right up the road from Suburban and I think he carries Specialized and another brand. I am pretty sure Suburban had the F7 there when I got m bike. he also carries Giant.
    i didn't ride yet. just tried them on for size in the shop.. not sure how much i'll get out of a loop in the parking lot but will ride before making the final selection. i saw the suburban web site listing the F7 Disk for $20 less than Class and also the Giant. I'll take a close look at those two. i'm leaning towards the F7 at this point, not sure i can really explain why other than the brand name and the price.

I'll pop in Berlin Bikes too, thanks for the tip.

Before you buy ask the shops if they do free tune-up/adjustments. I know Suburban does it for a year and If Cross does it too, the $20 you save buying at Suburban really costs you more in gas and time if you need to bring it to them. Fortunate for me I drive past them twice a day on my ride to and from works. They already replaced the bad headset bearing and also adjusted the brakes and deraulers since it already had 20 miles on it.

Before you buy ask the shops if they do free tune-up/adjustments. I know Suburban does it for a year and If Cross does it too, the $20 you save buying at Suburban really costs you more in gas and time if you need to bring it to them. Fortunate for me I drive past them twice a day on my ride to and from works. They already replaced the bad headset bearing and also adjusted the brakes and deraulers since it already had 20 miles on it.
    Class does do free adjustments for 1 year. he mentioned a 2nd benefit but i can't recall it off the top of my head. They were great, gave me catalogs for the bikes i was interested in, offered to let me ride anything they had. checked inventory in the comptuer (they have storage off site) to let me know what they had in stock, etc.

Perhaps i'll start @ Class on saturday for test rides and maybe i'll be done after that.

then i just need a note from my doctor and i'll be off to the trails

Pick up a bike yet? Dr. give you the ok to start riding yet?

Pick up a bike yet? Dr. give you the ok to start riding yet?
    No and No. but much closer on both fronts.

i've been lazy about it since i couldn't ride but I'm pretty sure i'm going with the Trek4500. Went to the Dr. this past Thursday. I'm cleared to resume most normal activity. I specifically asked about MTB... he gave me a funny look and said OK but only on easier rail trail like paths.. He wants me to stay off trails were I'm likely to be going over bumpy terrain and rocks and stumps and such. the bone strength is about 50% and the only thing that worries him is direct impact (over the handle bars) or significant stress which the bumpy conditions would cause. I offered to wear body armour to ensure no serious impact but he said the constant up and down motion my arms/shoulder do as the bike goes over stuff was an issue too.

He said 1 month and i'm good to go. Which is OK, i've got vacation plans which will take up 3 of the 4 weekends anyway. Hoping to join you guys starting in Sept.

Thread Information