• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gear Research

Sparky

I think this is the right forum for this. I’m not asking for specific research, just how much of an effort skiers put into getting the right Gear. It’s quite obvious that there are a lot of choices out there, one look at the annual gear review mags. will till you that. However there is no way you can demo every ski and to tell you the truth I don’t have the patients to sort through all the data. So my question is how much effort and what do you rely most on when it comes to choosing your gear?

Greg

Staff member
Forums, i.e. personal experiences by other skiers. I may or may not demo.

snowmonster

A lot of effort.

If I don't have the dimensions of a ski memorized or don't know what the flex number or features on a boot, I haven't even started the research work. For skis, I usually start with the gear reviews on the magazines because that gets you in the ball park and let's you know what's out there. Then I look at reviews online (like here in this forum) and compare the ski to similar ones. Then I hit the ski shops and talk to the techs or try to bend someone's ear to get their impressions. If there's a model on the wall that I'm looking at, I'll handflex them and pretend I know what I'm doing. Then demo if I can. When I've decided on the gear to buy, that's when I look for a good deal to match the budget. Takes a while. For boots, it's simpler, I narrow down the kind of boot I think I like then consult with Jeff Bokum since he knows his stuff and will probably need to work on my boots down the road. Then I find the pair that fits since the best boot is the one that fits you. Happy hunting!

Trekchick

This thread should be a poll:

Demo
Advice from friend(or foe)
Magazines and/or other organized written data
Forum(s) and/or other unorganized written data
Shape(ya gotta love a nice waist)
Best graphix(everyone knows that redneck skiers like a glitter finish just like their bass boats)
All of the above
None of the above(my Dart board has never failed me)

drjeff

For me it's about 20% research via gear reviews
-maybe 10% recomendations of what the shop guys/demo van guys say
-70% what me feet/senses tell me when I have my boots clicked into a demo pair and I'm on the hill with them - atleast for my primary pair of skis

If were talking a whimsical quiver addition, I'm more like 95% does it look cool/and 5% telling myself that "yes I actually do need them" ;)

Hawkshot99

I demo all the models that my shop sells in the spring time, and whatever makes me smile is what i get the next year.

Sky

For Skis...I check the gear reviews only to see what's in the market.

The rest depends on how seriously I need the ski.

I demo'd a bunch of skis whe I opted to buy a quality all mountain ski.

I dropped cash on a pair of quality skis for a second pair (when I opted to use my all mountains for racing). These skis are not my favorites by any stretch, but they give me something to carve on and keep the all-moutains "for best".

I'm seriously hunting a legitimate (albeit non FIS) race ski for next season. I demo'd FIS legal Fischers...and non-FIS Fischers. Learned the FIS skis would take a real commitment...found the non-FIS ones to be real hero skis.

For boots...HEH!...whatever comes in size 14! The Dalbelos I have now are great. I was fortunate to hit up a shop that had 4 pair in my size by three mfgs so I was able to down-select (a rare option!). I found a decent web site that lists boots by size (vs going to each Mfg and hunting through all their offerings to see which ones come in my size). Contemplating new boots. May opt for custom liners in the Dalbelos I currently own.

Geoff

For skis, I demo. I can go years without opening Ski or Skiing Magazine. I've learned that the ski I tend to like isn't necessarily the one everyone is raving about. I've also learned that there often isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the same product line slot from different manufacturers. If you're looking for the flavor of the week... recently, an +/- 85mm waist, wood core, 50%/50% groomed/ungroomed performance ski, there are pretty good options from most ski companies and the differences are pretty subtle.

For boots, I have a good boot fitter. I know what flex pattern I like. I use custom liners. I don't worry about brand and leave that up to the boot fitter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
admittedly, probably no where near enough research. I'm you classic brand loyalist. When I was younger, I tried out all sorts of brands and for whatever reason I always kept coming back to Rossignol and enjoying them the best. So, for about a decade I've pretty much just bought a Rossi in whatever ski type I am looking for. For the most part I've been very satisfied with my purchases.

The challenge for me is that demoing really isn't a possibility unless I plan far ahead. I'm typically buying 'new' skis from two seasons back to get them at a bargain basement price. Because of this, I rely heavily on internet research in forums such as here for what people think. So, if I were to demo skis this upcoming season, it would be for buying them in most likely the 2010-2011 season and it's a crap shoot whether those skis will still be around then.

jack97

The challenge for me is that demoing really isn't a possibility unless I plan far ahead. I'm typically buying 'new' skis from two seasons back to get them at a bargain basement price. Because of this, I rely heavily on internet research in forums such as here for what people think. So, if I were to demo skis this upcoming season, it would be for buying them in most likely the 2010-2011 season and it's a crap shoot whether those skis will still be around then.

Part of the fun of buying never used old gear is the hunt. That said, I try to sway the odds to my favor; first of all, I have a light frame. I don't need the stiffest skis and the stiffest boots, truth be told, going for those type of gear is about ego for most of us. Also, I go demo equipment that has large distribution in the North America.

IMO, most of the skis in various categories/shapes (all mtn, midfat, cross, rec sl) are getting to the point that its very hard to tell the difference.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Part of the fun of buying never used old gear is the hunt.

For sure. I love hunting for a good deal. I purchased two new pairs of skis this season. 06-07 Rossi B2's and 06-07 Rossi BX's. I got them both with bindings mounted for under $600 total.