• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hardtail over full suspension

Greg

Staff member
Just curious - are there any specific reasons why someone would choose a hardtail mountain bike over one with rear suspension, other than price obviously?

tjf67

If you are going to driving the bike around the city then a hardtail would be ideal.

Most of the old school holdouts have been switching over to the full suspension. They are just a smoother ride. The gripe about them is that you loose enegry with the rear shock. I think the trade off is well worth it, esapecially when you are going through some bumpy terrain. There is nothing like full suspension riding through rock gardens.

bvibert

Staff member
With FS you get a little added weight and loose some pedal efficiency due to the suspension flexing while pedaling (though newer shock/suspension designs are making that less of a big deal). If you're not doing a lot of hairy stuff then the added cost/weight of the FS probably isn't needed.

cbcbd

If you do lots of dirt jumps, tricks, urban riding, trials riding, city riding... then hardtails are preferred.

Other than that then there is no reason not to consider a FS, especially with NE rocky and rooty trails.
I think some folks that are opposed to FS think there's only one category of FS. There are also many different types of rear suspension - different geometries, different shocks, different travel (some with travel adjustment and/or a lock) - so in the FS category you can pick something that will fit your riding style and won't feel too sloppy.

These are both FS but would ride completely differently being at the ends of the FS spectrum, the former being great for 6'+ hucks, the latter good for XC style avoiding big air but still making it through rock gardens with happy nuts:
konaStinky06.jpg

07_element50_large.gif

IMO, as far as the "climbing" argument that FS is too heavy, won't pedal as efficiently, etc... well, show me a plethora of CT trails where you wouldn't be able to climb in your granny with a FS. Unless you are racing and weight will cost you time, you can probably make it up most CT hills on "heavy" FS bikes. And even then, there are some hills where you just can't ride up and have to hikeabike.

gmcunni

so, if i read all this correctly, given a fixed $$ budget. as a non-competitive, casual rider who will occasionally venture off into the woods on single-track in CT i'm probably better off getting a higher quality HT over a lower quality FS, right?

wa-loaf

so, if i read all this correctly, given a fixed $$ budget. as a non-competitive, casual rider who will occasionally venture off into the woods on single-track in CT i'm probably better off getting a higher quality HT over a lower quality FS, right?

Yes

tjf67

Probably. I would come up with the extra couple hundred bucks to get the FS. They last a heck of a lot longer than a pair of skiis.

I have been riding mine for ten years and its still treating me well.

bvibert

Staff member
As many serious mountain bikes with full suspensions used in east have only 9 gears they are not practical for much else than downhill mountain biking. As mentioned they are very heavy.

I'm confused by this statement. What do you mean by 'serious mountain bikes'? As in heavy duty, like the ones that are meant for DH anyway? Most of the FS bikes I see around here are XC or AM rigs with the typical 3x9 setup and aren't nearly as heavy as a DH bike (but still heavier than a decent HT).

wa-loaf

As many serious mountain bikes with full suspensions used in east have only 9 gears they are not practical for much else than downhill mountain biking. As mentioned they are very heavy.

You are confusing downhill bikes with XC full suspension. Big difference.

gmcunni

I'm confused by this statement. What do you mean by 'serious mountain bikes'? As in heavy duty, like the ones that are meant for DH anyway? Most of the FS bikes I see around here are XC or AM rigs with the typical 3x9 setup and aren't nearly as heavy as a DH bike (but still heavier than a decent HT).

i'm having trouble keeping up with the lingo.

I get HT = hardtail - no "rear" suspension, rougher ride, "entry level" MTB
FS = full suspension, better ride, more $$
DH = downhill (i assume) but how is it designed differently?
XC = cross country ? not sure what this "style" of riding is
AM = all mountain? not sure what this "style" of riding is

wtf is a 3x9 setup?
:dunce:

Greg

Staff member
i'm having trouble keeping up with the lingo.

wtf is a 3x9 setup?
:dunce:

I'm a MTB newbie for the most part, but:
  • I don't know that HTs are "entry level". I think some HT riders might also prefer a lighter ride.
  • More expensive doesn't always equal better.
  • 3x9 - 3 chainrings (front gears), 9 sprockets (rear gears)

cbcbd

If you are casually riding, don't want to spend more than $X on the hobby and are not into fast downhills and drops then I agree that an HT makes more sense.

But I wouldn't generalize "single-track in CT" as not needing FS at all - it's all up to what you want to ride and where you are - in my local park I can find a couple 3-4' drops, drive 30 minutes and I can ride stuff with tons of 4,5,6+ foot drops and crazy terrain. You don't have to take these drops, but they are there in CT trails if you are looking for it, and in that case I recommend you get a FS, at least so your rear wheel won't have that many dates with the truing stand.

It was definitively weird going from an HT to FS at first but now I don't think I could go back... but I'd love to have an HT and hit some dirt jumps and hang out at the HS jumping stairs and pulling manuals ;) :D

My advice - test ride a HT, test ride a XC FS, test ride a DH FS, then test ride an all mountain FS - one right after the other.

wa-loaf

Yes, but not necessarily entry level. You can still spend several thousand on a HT

Yes and covers all of the below.

Lots of travel in the suspension, heavy and with big gears. Mainly for lift served downhill. set back geometry for downhilling

Next step from HT, least amount of travel in suspension and meant for riding single track. Probably best for the "one bike" quiver.

Could be XC or the gap between XC and DH.

wtf is a 3x9 setup?
Just the gear set-up 3 chain rings in the front and a 9 gear cassette on the back wheel.

gmcunni

in my local park I can find a couple 3-4' drops, drive 30 minutes and I can ride stuff with tons of 4,5,6+ foot drops and crazy terrain.

cbcdb, i grew up in stamford but didn't ride at all when i lived there. Just curious, what do you consider the "local park" and where do you go for the 30 minute drive?

cbcbd

cbcdb, i grew up in stamford but didn't ride at all when i lived there. Just curious, what do you consider the "local park" and where do you go for the 30 minute drive?
What I consider my local park is Mianus River Park, 15min from downtown, half in Stamford, half in Greenwhich. 30 minutes up the Merritt is Trumbull's Old Mine Park - a lot of scary stuff (for me) can be found there.
http://www.bikerag.com/mountain bike trail reviews.htm

Plenty of stuff like this:
http://pics.bikerag.com/showphoto.php?photo=7244&size=big&cat=
http://www.crankfire.com/galleries/picture.php?imageid=3141&f=1|9
http://www.crankfire.com/galleries/picture.php?imageid=2995&f=1|9
http://www.crankfire.com/galleries/picture.php?imageid=3009&f=1|9

Last edited:

tjf67

I have two friends that race Mountain Bikes and they are both on FS bikes.

I don't understand what people are talking about with all the extra weight. The differance in weight between light hardtail and a light FS is 2lbs. You can go much faster over rough terrain with a fs bike so I would think the extra weight would be negated.

As far as climbing you get better traction on a fs bike.

cbcbd

I have two friends that race Mountain Bikes and they are both on FS bikes.

I don't understand what people are talking about with all the extra weight. The differance in weight between light hardtail and a light FS is 2lbs. You can go much faster over rough terrain with a fs bike so I would think the extra weight would be negated.

As far as climbing you get better traction on a fs bike.
I'm full on with you. Don't know what the fuss is all about when you get that much more control. My FS bike is lighter than my no suspension bike I got in '92.

Try this - go moderately fast downhill on a regular rocky/rooty CT trail on a HT and then on an FS. The HT will bump off obstacles and want to buck you off - your legs will have to be the active suspension, your rear wheel will spend less time in contact with the ground and you'll have a fun time trying not to get bucked off. The FS will help keep the rear wheel on the ground by compressing and rebounding = a lot more control, a lot more fun.

More expensive doesn't always equal better.
In bikes I think it does, but you have to figure out if it's worth it to you. More expensive frames will be lighter, better built. More expensive components will be lighter and perform better - brakes will be more responsive, stronger, more features. Shifting will be a lot smoother from Deore to XTR. But unless you're racing for time or are a serious enthusiast with $$ then top component sets are just way more expensive and probably not worth it.

Last edited: