• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

White Memorial, Morris, CT: 6/10/08

powhunter

Good times, nice way to end my birthday. :beer: The flat tire wasn't the best way to start the ride, but it wasn't a big deal. I think it showed Greg that it's a good idea to carry tire levers and a pump, so that was a positive. Can't wait to do it again sometime! :beer:

just picked up the c02 system...1 cartridge is good for 1 tire.....cant wait to blow out a tire and try it out

steve

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
just picked up the c02 system...1 cartridge is good for 1 tire.....cant wait to blow out a tire and try it out

steve

They are o.k. Really better for the road, where its difficult to get a minipump that will give you 110 lbs of pressure. It's not too hard to pump up a mtn tire to 40 lbs. You have to be careful about being certain that the tube is set properly in the wheel...before pumping up with the CO2. I've seen someone get a blowout from pumping them up with the cartridge.

bvibert

Staff member

I have one of those too, 1 cartridge is NOT enough for 1 tire. It's enough to get you out of the woods if needed, but it's not enough for me to ride comfortably on. The two times that I've blown out I used the CO2 to get it most of the way there and then had to use the pump to get it the rest of the way.

Greg

Staff member
Based on Google Earth and the WM map, I estimated our ride was about 4.5 miles.

Greg

Staff member
I found a report somewhere online about some rides to the East side of Pitch Reservoir in the lower right corner of that map. Might be another area worth scoping out.

Greg

Staff member
Cool, I'll take your word for it.

Look about right to you?

white_mem.png

bvibert

Staff member
I found a report somewhere online about some rides to the East side of Pitch Reservoir in the lower right corner of that map. Might be another area worth scoping out.

Yeah, I tried looking for those trails a few times, but all I found was several No Tresspassing signs.

bvibert

Staff member

It's kinda funny, the White Memorial trail map on bikerag shows only trails in the area that you're talking about, which is completely outside of the White Memorial property.

powhunter

They are o.k. Really better for the road, where its difficult to get a minipump that will give you 110 lbs of pressure. It's not too hard to pump up a mtn tire to 40 lbs. You have to be careful about being certain that the tube is set properly in the wheel...before pumping up with the CO2. I've seen someone get a blowout from pumping them up with the cartridge.

ok so its best to 75% fill the tire..then finish with a pump

Greg

Staff member
It's kinda funny, the White Memorial trail map on bikerag shows only trails in the area that you're talking about, which is completely outside of the White Memorial property.

That's where I must have saw it and yeah, I noticed that too.

ok so its best to 75% fill the tire..then finish with a pump

Based on seeing Brian do it, it seems like it only gets you to 75% under a single charge anyway.

tjf67

I always thought you had to use tubeless tires either way, interesting. I've never really given much thought to the idea, but if I keep getting pinch flats I might have to consider it.

Ive been using tubless since 01. You seem to get a little more tire travel as well. Smoothness. Have not gottena flat since I have been on them. Good thing cause I dont carry anything.

MR. evil

That's where I must have saw it and yeah, I noticed that too.

Based on seeing Brian do it, it seems like it only gets you to 75% under a single charge anyway.

I only carry a hand pump. I just don't like the idea of carrying explosive canisters in my back pack. I really don;t mind the extra minute or two it may take to pump up the tire with a pump. I mean how often do you get flats?

MR. evil

Ive been using tubless since 01. You seem to get a little more tire travel as well. Smoothness. Have not gottena flat since I have been on them. Good thing cause I dont carry anything.

Do you run UST, or Stan's

bvibert

Staff member
I only carry a hand pump. I just don't like the idea of carrying explosive canisters in my back pack. I really don;t mind the extra minute or two it may take to pump up the tire with a pump. I mean how often do you get flats?

I don't worry about the canisters exploding, they're pretty robust. The reason that I carry one, aside from the fact that I got it free as a gift, is that it fits in the small bike bag I keep under my seat. I also keep a tube, tire levers, a multi-tool, and some chain links in it. I think of it as my bare essentials to get myself out of trouble if needed. That way I can take off for a ride without my pack if I want to and not worry about getting stuck. In my pack I keep another tube, a pump, and a patch kit (it's light, cheap insurance). Is all that stuff needed for every ride, especially shorter ones? No. But I like keeping all my stuff packed and ready to go so that I don't forget anything if I do head out for a longer ride.

MR. evil

I don't worry about the canisters exploding, they're pretty robust. The reason that I carry one, aside from the fact that I got it free as a gift, is that it fits in the small bike bag I keep under my seat. I also keep a tube, tire levers, a multi-tool, and some chain links in it. I think of it as my bare essentials to get myself out of trouble if needed. That way I can take off for a ride without my pack if I want to and not worry about getting stuck. In my pack I keep another tube, a pump, and a patch kit (it's light, cheap insurance). Is all that stuff needed for every ride, especially shorter ones? No. But I like keeping all my stuff packed and ready to go so that I don't forget anything if I do head out for a longer ride.

I bring my camelback along every ride. Beside carrying my repair gear, it is the only way I can bring water on a ride. My bike does not have any place for a water bottle.

bvibert

Staff member
I bring my camelback along every ride. Beside carrying my repair gear, it is the only way I can bring water on a ride. My bike does not have any place for a water bottle.

My bikes have water bottle cages, so I don't need the pack for water.. The fact is that I always have my pack on, I just like having the option of not needing it. That and I'm the type of guy that always packs too much stuff in general (but usually still manage to forget something ;) ).

I'm not trying to say that you or anyone else should carry a CO2 system, just trying to explain why I do...