• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Energy drinks and bars

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm not surprised. We as a whole tend to eat a lot of manufactured foods thinking they're better for us (or at least, more convenient); how do we think people survived for all those thousands of years before we made this crap? :lol: (I'm guilty of convenience foods and the energy bar/drink thing in the past, too, I'll admit...)

SKIQUATTRO

for hydration on long rides/runs i use NUUN tabs, I cant stomach most sports drinks (too many sugars/carbs)

I use GU Gels for calories/carbs when riding/running for anything over an hour...i'll throw a PowerBar Harvest for a long ride or some fig newtons

Recovery is Choco Milk...

Greg

Staff member
I'm a Gatorade or water guy.

cbcbd

I use bars all the time... yeah, it's definitively for the convenience factor - much easier to take out and just eat in the middle of a long winter day in the mountains. My preferred bars are Clif Nectar (no additives, all organic), Larabar (no additives), Honey Stinger (for meal replacement on a looong day - 20g protein, 390 cal).
I use Gu more for cycling and running.

Nothing wrong with bars. You just gotta read to see what is in them, and yeah, it's obvious that you're paying for the convenience of the bar form.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
There are some bars that are whole foods, too, so they're not too bad. Larabars are great like that. I also have these coconut ones that are coconut and brown rice syrup, mostly. Some have pineapple or something extra in them. Delicious and definitely recharge you.

Sometimes it's hard to beat convenience.

bvibert

Staff member
For energy on the go I like to carry a couple slices of pizza in my pack or folded up in my pocket. Also, french fries work well since they don't take up much room.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm not big on "recovery" foods. After a good long ride, I come home and have a meal. Turkey sandwich...sometimes I'll have a cup of soup. It's important not to eat too much after your workout..otherwise you'll just ingest all the calories you just burned.

I don't eat anything for rides that are only an hour and tend not to bring food for mtn bike rides unless they go longer than 2 hours. For road rides (My shortest road ride is my "regular" ride which takes about 1 hour 40 mins), I'll have a bite or 2 or 3 of a chocolate chip cliff bar. I can't really eat while working out. I do drink good old plain water. If its a very long ride or very hot, I'll pop a few of these: http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/H...&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104

I usually ride in the mornings and can't really have too much (if anything) in my stomach when I workout hard.