• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Skier Death: Extreme Skiing at Mansfield for Meathead

dmc

Re: Another Skier Death: Out of Bounds at Mansfield

thetrailboss said:
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=2947837&nav=4QcRWNMK

Anyone know if this guy was with Meathead Films?

Yes he was...
Bummer...

ChileMass

1500' fall - ??? Is this accurate? I tried to go onto No Bull Ski Report to check out their story, but I'm not paying for the subscription.....

Hate to say it, but when does extreme skiing stop being fun and start being just extremely stupid..........???

Signed -

Olde Fart

thetrailboss

Staff member
Brettski said:
That dude is outta line...

Where are the chutes at Stowe?

Up off the Gondola to the right?

Yes, that guy was being a bit insensitive--we try to deter such comments here. He did a poor job articulating a point that is worth repeating...be aware of your surroundings and don't go to unfamiliar places. Always "Be Prepared."

That said, this appeared to be a freak thing...real sad. My condolences to the family. :cry:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
He was sking a line he'd skiied before, just had a bobble at the wrong time. His slough carried off the edge of a 300 foot Ice fall. He died instantly.
I do not recomend going and looking for these chute w/o a professional guide. This is the second person this weekend to ski off a cliff. The first guy went straight off an 80 footer, not knowing it was there. He some how walked away from it. If you go up the chin, you are putting yourself above some serious terrain, that can be great to ski, but unless ou do your homework before hand, you may end up cliffed out and facing a difficult time self rescuing w/o ropes and a harnass.

RossiSkier

Alec Stall skis in uncharted territory for fun
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sportsextra/without_limits/haggerty_1214.shtml

alec_stall.jpg

Meathead Films
http://www.meatheadfilms.com/
Photolifestylestall80s.gif

Photos_action_3stallcliff.jpg

Alec Stall 1981-2005
photoportraitstallshades.gif

Welcome into your kindom our departed brothers and sisters,
and all who have left this world in Your friendship
We hope to enjoy for ever the vision of Your glory

JD

Website
hotmail.com
There was some reservation about going out there this soon. It's always an Icey chute, just a matter of if it fills in. It gets skied on good years.

dmc

ChileMass said:
Hate to say it, but when does extreme skiing stop being fun and start being just extremely stupid..........???

When the risk is not calculated...

This sounds like an accident... I've seen slough drag people over the headwall as well as down the Chute at Tucks before... I've actually seen people get knock over by it in the Catskills...

I get nervous about stuff coming down at times .... Depends on how exposed I am... Sounds like he was pretty exposed..

Sucks...

K

k-slay

This is Kristian Geissler with Meathead Films. I appreciate all those who offer their condolences. I don't appreciate people saying things that make him sound incompetent. You weren't there, you don't even know how to get there, where it is, or what it looked like. He was an experienced skier, had avie training, was a wilderness first responder, and was perfectly capable of skiing in this zone.
Alec did not fall 1500 feet, first of all. He took a tumble at the end of the chute, and couldnt collect himself in time to move out of his slough path. He only fell 25 vertical feet, however he tumbled down a frozen riverbed for a few hundred feet.
Alec was well liked in the ski community, and died doing what he loved most. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

RossiSkier

Hey Kristian. Thanks for stopping by. Hope all is well in Winooski. My sincerest sympathies for the loss of your friend. There is no doubt he will be sorely missed by all.

I enjoy your films. Hope you and your group will continue to make them. I would guess that that is what Alec would have wanted.

bvibert

Staff member
k-slay said:
This is Kristian Geissler with Meathead Films. I appreciate all those who offer their condolences. I don't appreciate people saying things that make him sound incompetent. You weren't there, you don't even know how to get there, where it is, or what it looked like. He was an experienced skier, had avie training, was a wilderness first responder, and was perfectly capable of skiing in this zone.
Alec did not fall 1500 feet, first of all. He took a tumble at the end of the chute, and couldnt collect himself in time to move out of his slough path. He only fell 25 vertical feet, however he tumbled down a frozen riverbed for a few hundred feet.
Alec was well liked in the ski community, and died doing what he loved most. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Hi Kristian, thanks for stopping in and setting things straight. Alec will be missed by the skiing community...

K

k-slay

We are continuing to film for next years movie, and will dedicate it to our fallen friend. We appreciate everyone's support.