• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Product - Camera Sunglasses

A

ardgower

Hi guys,

A few months ago I posted a survey on these forums regarding a university product design project in which I was designing a pair of sunglasses with integrated digital camera. Thanks to the feedback I got from this and other forums I decided to go with a goggle based product rather than sunglasses and concentrate primarily on the snowsports industry.

I am a bit further on in the project and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the direction the project has taken. As things stand, the product is a snowsports goggle capable of taking digital photos and videos whilst the user is in motion or when stationary.

I am currently conducting a short survey into user needs and would be very grateful if you could take the time to participate. It only has 12 multiple choice questions and should only take a few minutes. To do the survey please go to www.advancedsurvey.com and enter 22000 in the ‘Take a Survey’ box.

At the moment there are two potential concepts.

The first comprises of a standard pair of goggles with a camera built into the centre. The lens would cause no or very little obstruction to the user’s view. A wire would run from the rear of the goggles down the users back and into a control unit which would house the memory card, batteries, screen and processor. The user would not need to access the control unit except to view pictures and videos or change settings, presumably at the beginning and end of the day. The control unit would be similar to a normal digital camera.

The option second comprises of a self contained unit where all electronics are contained on the goggles between the actual unit and the strap. This would mean additional bulk on the goggles and no video/photo review screen but would mean there was no need for a cable to be run down the users back.

Another issue that I would be interested in is to where you think the button to take a picture or start/stop a video should be located.

I would be delighted to hear any thoughts on the product, good or bad and would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to take part in the short survey detailed above.

Many Thanks,
Ed