• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My new (to me) bike (copied from another thread)

bvibert

Staff member
[edit]This thread was moved from another thread[/edit]

I'm looking forward to giving the new to me FS bike a proper test at Nepaug Sunday. I'm having the shock rebuilt by the LBS so I shouldn't have anymore leaking issues! :)

Last edited:

powhunter

Good to know, thanks!

I'm looking forward to giving the new to me FS bike a proper test at Nepaug Sunday. I'm having the shock rebuilt by the LBS so I shouldn't have anymore leaking issues! :)

new bike?? cool what did ya get?

steve

bvibert

Staff member
new bike?? cool what did ya get?

steve

I inherited my Dad's old '02 Specialized Rockhopper Comp FSRxc. I rode it a few times already, but the air shock was leaking so it was a little too squishy... Should be good to go by Sunday. :)

MR. evil

I inherited my Dad's old '02 Specialized Rockhopper Comp FSRxc. I rode it a few times already, but the air shock was leaking so it was a little too squishy... Should be good to go by Sunday. :)

Does your current shock have pro-pedal? The FSR suspension also know as a Horst link bobs pretty badly IMO. Thise types of bikes pedal much better with a platform type shock such as Fox shocks with pro-pedal or Manitou shocks with SPV.

bvibert

Staff member
Does your current shock have pro-pedal? The FSR suspension also know as a Horst link bobs pretty badly IMO. Thise types of bikes pedal much better with a platform type shock such as Fox shocks with pro-pedal or Manitou shocks with SPV.

No, it doesn't. I definitely want to upgrade the shock to something with a pedaling platform, but that just isn't in the budget right now. It was only $40 (and I had a gift certificate to the LBS) to fix the shock I have now, so I went with just fixing it for now.

MR. evil

No, it doesn't. I definitely want to upgrade the shock to something with a pedaling platform, but that just isn't in the budget right now. It was only $40 (and I had a gift certificate to the LBS) to fix the shock I have now, so I went with just fixing it for now.

There is always Ebay or the classifieds on RideMonkey.com. What is the eye to eye measurment and the shock stroke? I will keep an eye out for deals.

Greg

Staff member
So...what's the verdict?

bvibert

Staff member
So far so good. I need to get used to the rear suspension doing it's thing instead of riding it like a hard tail. The rebuilt shock survived the first ride just fine. :)