• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Headset DOH

bvibert

Staff member
I went on a fairly muddy ride today. I cleaned of all the mud from my drive train so that it would actually function next time I use it. While I was at it I rinsed the big stuff from the rest of the bike. When I was done I heard a distinct dirty, grinding sound coming from my headset. :( I took it all apart to clean it out to prevent any damage (thankfully all the dirt was between the steerer tube and the head tube, NOT in the bearings) and realized that I don't have any grease to put it back together with... :smash:

Now it occurs to me as I'm sitting here that I could have used the automotive wheel bearing grease I have in the garage. Oh well, that's project for tomorrow now.

MR. evil

Now it occurs to me as I'm sitting here that I could have used the automotive wheel bearing grease I have in the garage. Oh well, that's project for tomorrow now.

I would give a bike shop a call and ask, but I don't think I would. Stop by your LBS and pick up some Park Tool grease, or Phil Wood grease if they have it.

bvibert

Staff member
I would give a bike shop a call and ask, but I don't think I would. Stop by your LBS and pick up some Park Tool grease, or Phil Wood grease if they have it.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that wheel bearing grease was just as good, but I'll probably go to the shop tomorrow and pick up the right stuff.

MR. evil

I just finished cleaning the bike. i think something is wrong with my rear der.

tjf67

R U getting mystery shifts? I always seem to break off a tooth or two on the lower sprocket. They dont break all the way off just chip. 8 dollar fix.

I replaced my brake pads. What a mistake. When I was walking the bike up some of the hills my back tire was skidding. My front end sounded like monkey with its tail shut in the cage.
What a PITA. Have to work on it tonight

bvibert

Staff member
I went out today and got the right grease, Park something or other. Everything went back together just fine. There's still a slight gritty noise, I guess I didn't get it as clean as I could have. Oh well it's better than it was, it'll have to do for now.

What's the problem? Did you notice any issues during the ride on Sunday?

Greg

Staff member
Just relubed up my chain and adjusted my rear der. I hosed it down, but I've got major gritty noises in the drive train. Probably should do a full bath. Nepaug is a sandy mofo of a place to ride.

o3jeff

I think I better take a closer look at my bike tonight and take a test ride before the next ride with everyone finding problems.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Regarding the OP, Brian, just go to Walmart and get a tub of white lithium grease. White lithium is what most shops use as a generic grease for most anything on a bike that needs grease. The Park stuff is fine too, but not worth the expense. Automotive wheel bearing grease would work fine in the headset too, since it isn't a high speed/high wear bearing like say a wheel or bottom bracket bearing.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Not sure if there even is a problem. It shifts fine, but just looks out of wack.

Tim, I'll let you in on a little trade secret I picked up here on the engineering side of things:

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

As an architect, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with this axiom, but trust me, it is apt.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've got some good general advice for everyone frustrated with grit in their drivetrain, brakes and other moving parts-

Pick up a small, jewler's type ultrasonic bath. They range in price from $30 to $80, but most you can fit your entire chain in, or your front or rear derailleur, or bearing parts, etc. It works better than any brushing/scrubbing/degreasing I've ever tried before.

bvibert

Staff member
I've got some good general advice for everyone frustrated with grit in their drivetrain, brakes and other moving parts-

Pick up a small, jewler's type ultrasonic bath. They range in price from $30 to $80, but most you can fit your entire chain in, or your front or rear derailleur, or bearing parts, etc. It works better than any brushing/scrubbing/degreasing I've ever tried before.

That's a good idea. We have an ultrasonic cleaner here in the lab. I'll have to give it shot. Next time I take my headset apart I'll bring the bearings in here to clean.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
You guys are bold using a hose on your bikes. I tend to keep water away when I'm not riding through it. When I clean my mtn bike, (which isn't often) I'll use a damp cloth and do everything by hand. I'm no expert but have read mixed things about using hoses....I, for one, will keep pressurized water away from the bike at all costs. I'm a less is more type of guy when it comes to tuning bikes. (mostly because whenever I try to do anything to the derailleurs, I tend to detune them as opposed to tune them).

I keep my road rig shiny...but its easier to do that with a road machine than a mtn.

bvibert

Staff member
You guys are bold using a hose on your bikes. I tend to keep water away when I'm not riding through it. When I clean my mtn bike, (which isn't often) I'll use a damp cloth and do everything by hand. I'm no expert but have read mixed things about using hoses....I, for one, will keep pressurized water away from the bike at all costs. I'm a less is more type of guy when it comes to tuning bikes. (mostly because whenever I try to do anything to the derailleurs, I tend to detune them as opposed to tune them).

I keep my road rig shiny...but its easier to do that with a road machine than a mtn.

Whenever I use a hose on my bike (rarely) I never use any pressure. I just let the open hose run over the bike to wash away the big chunks. It doesn't get the bike very clean, but it makes the hand cleaning part go faster. I figure it's not much different than riding in the rain.

MR. evil

Whenever I use a hose on my bike (rarely) I never use any pressure. I just let the open hose run over the bike to wash away the big chunks. It doesn't get the bike very clean, but it makes the hand cleaning part go faster. I figure it's not much different than riding in the rain.

I don't use any pressure when I hose off the bike. and I also try to stay away from the drive train. I will clean that by hand.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I use lots of pressure, particularly on my drive train, after I spray on and scrub with a degreaser, usually Simple Green.

I just don't blow the grease out of any bearings or anything.

I lube my derailleur pivots after with some spray silicone and white lightening the chain. Little spray silicone on the pedals and I'm set to go.

Maybe that's bold but I don't have any excessive wear problems on any of my parts. My last mtn bike still has the original XT rear derailleur I put on when I bought it in '99, and it still shifts fine.

Greg

Staff member
I can't imagine that the pressure created by a garden hose nozzle is going to cause any problems rinsing off a mountain bike. I wouldn't use a pressure washer though. I rinse off the bike after a ride thoroughly and let it drip dry. Then it goes into the basement.