• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do you ride where you ride?

MRGisevil

I knew it. You are scared that a couple newbs like Jeff and me will school you. Just like I thought... :roll:

;)

Have fun working for the man! But don't miss too many rides or that schooling thing I'm just ribbing you about may actually become a reality! :-o

Heh. Schoolin', huh? I might just have Tim drop me off at work once the ride is done with.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Back on topic, one of the cool feelings riding a light, high performance road bike is the acceleration. You don't get it on a mountain bike because they're heavy, the tires are softer, suspension soaks up energy, they have way more rotating mass in the wheels.

When you mash the pedals on a road bike, it's unreal how short the time is to be moving 25 mph under your own power. It's like the difference between full throttle in a Jeep and full throttle in a 911 turbo.

skiboarder

I live in Central Westchester County. I MTB at Blue Mountain at Peekskill and Graham Hills in Pleasantville. Both are excellent.

I mostly MTB, using my road bike for recovery rides.

cbcbd

They are too different and I use them for different "needs".

MTB will always be the favorite because I like the woods, the technical aspect of it, and the rush - most bang for the buck. I enjoy going fast and getting faster, but I don't really keep track of speed or miles on the MTB, its more about hitting previous/new lines and increasing my cajones-limit.

Road riding I do when I want to cover lots of distance in as short time as I personally can. Although I like cruising around at ok speeds sometimes, I like to finish a road ride completely dizzy, weirdly hungry but not, thirsty... and then be elated because my avg for that ride went up .1mph.
But what got me into the road was actually sitting on and riding a road bike - compared to any mtb it felt so light and fast. For that reason I'm not able to ride my mtb on the road anymore, even if for just a mile down the road... call me lazy, call me weak, call me impatient... Yep, all of those, but I call it being efficient ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
For that reason I'm not able to ride my mtb on the road anymore, even if for just a mile down the road... call me lazy, call me weak, call me impatient... Yep, all of those, but I call it being efficient ;)

So true, I hate putting my MTB on the road now.

bvibert

Staff member
For that reason I'm not able to ride my mtb on the road anymore, even if for just a mile down the road... call me lazy, call me weak, call me impatient... Yep, all of those, but I call it being efficient ;)

So what happens if you're on a ride that ends with a jaunt down a road to get back to the car, do you walk the bike??? ;)

cbcbd

So what happens if you're on a ride that ends with a jaunt down a road to get back to the car, do you walk the bike??? ;)
C'mon, now, details... :D
...its all about the ratio of road to trail. I'll ride 2-4 at the most to get to trails, but they better be damn good trails! I think the longest I've had to ride from parking to trailhead was around 1.5mi going to Vietnam in MA... and still, that seemed like forever.

...and you better watch out, Brian... you're already dreaming you're Greg Lemond while ridding your mtb. You hop on a road bike and you'll be road-bound. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
C'mon, now, details... :D
...its all about the ratio of road to trail. I'll ride 2-4 at the most to get to trails, but they better be damn good trails! I think the longest I've had to ride from parking to trailhead was around 1.5mi going to Vietnam in MA... and still, that seemed like forever.

...and you better watch out, Brian... you're already dreaming you're Greg Lemond while ridding your mtb. You hop on a road bike and you'll be road-bound. ;)

I was just busting you since you said you were 'not able to ride my mtb on the road', sounds more like you strongly prefer not to... ;)

I've had two rides recently that ended with a short stint on the road to get back to the car. Both times were the result of trying some trails and not having enough daylight to get back to the cars on trails so the road was the answer. Being that I haven't ridden a road bike in probably 20 years or so I didn't mind riding my big heavy MTB on the road at all. As a matter of fact I had fun. I am a little concerned that when I do try a road bike again I'll like it too much... :eek: