• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do you ride where you ride?

Greg

Staff member
Are you mostly a mountain biker, or a roadie, or both and tell us why? If both, which do you enjoy more?

I just got back into mountain biking. I really enjoy it for many of the same reasons I enjoy skiing and hiking - being in the woods and away from confusion. Other than speed and the workout, I don't really see the appeal of road riding. I don't like the thought of sharing the road with jackass drivers. I guess one major benefit though is you can do it right out the door rather than perhaps having to drive to a trail head. My MTB preference is probably due to the same reasons I prefer picking my way down a windy technical trail on skis, rather than flying down some groomer at break neck speed.

You?

awf170

I ride at Lynn woods because it is exactly 3.5 miles away from my house. I probably would do some road riding since I have a sweet road bike I could use, but I would probably get killed within a week trying to ride out of Lynn.

bvibert

Staff member
I do MTB because that's what was available to me and I like to do things in the woods. The technical aspect of it interests me too. That said I've been wanting to give the roadie thing a shot too. On the few occasions that I get my MTB on the road or even a smooth section of dirt road I like to pop up to the big chain ring and let 'er run. I like the speed aspect, it seems like it would be even more fun on a bike that was meant for that kind of riding. I do worry about the cars, but the only reason I haven't given it a serious shot is that I just can't afford to get another bike... ;)

o3jeff

On the few occasions that I get my MTB on the road or even a smooth section of dirt road I like to pop up to the big chain ring and let 'er run.

Yea like last night, once we hit the pavement you just took off leaving me in the dirt chunks from the tires:-D

bvibert

Staff member
Yea like last night, once we hit the pavement you just took off leaving me in the dirt chunks from the tires:-D

Sorry, what can I say, I guess I have a bit of roadie in me... I don't think I could ride like that for very long, at least not right now..

Once the mud stopped coming of my tire and hitting me in the face I had visions that I was a roadie chasing Lance or something, then another chunk of mud flew up right into my mouth...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sorry, what can I say, I guess I have a bit of roadie in me... I don't think I could ride like that for very long, at least not right now..

Once the mud stopped coming of my tire and hitting me in the face I had visions that I was a roadie chasing Lance or something, then another chunk of mud flew up right into my mouth...

Haha, B, I bet you'd enjoy some time trialing and flat stuff on the road. You're a big guy so you can probably generate a ridiculous amount of power on the bike... although you're probably not a hill climber (no offense).

Road is an interesting dynamic because when you're on flats, the opposing force comes mostly from air resistance, and since drag coefficients are going to be similar between scrawny guys and built guys, the built guys almost always pull ahead because they can generate a tremendous amount of power.

Climbing, OTOH, is all about power to weight ratio since the opposing force is mostly from gravity. This is where Austin and other scrawny light weights would leave everyone in the dust.

Then there are guys like Nate who kick everyone's ass all the time no matter what the terrain, and that's jus feckin annoying.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Are you mostly a mountain biker, or a roadie, or both and tell us why? If both, which do you enjoy more?

I just got back into mountain biking. I really enjoy it for many of the same reasons I enjoy skiing and hiking - being in the woods and away from confusion. Other than speed and the workout, I don't really see the appeal of road riding. I don't like the thought of sharing the road with jackass drivers. I guess one major benefit though is you can do it right out the door rather than perhaps having to drive to a trail head. My MTB preference is probably due to the same reasons I prefer picking my way down a windy technical trail on skis, rather than flying down some groomer at break neck speed.

You?

Road biker here, I enjoy riding the roads and getting in as much distance as possible. The idea of being able to use my bike and not having to have to rely on my car has always been appealing to me, not only in bragging right but in the satisfaction of knowing I can cover large amounts of miles. With regards to traffic and cars, call me a nut, but I just find them a challenging obstacle that never bothered me.

That was more true in the past, recently, I have purchased a hybrid and started riding that both on road and off road. Main reason for this has been my wife's inability to keep up with me on my road bike. In riding off road I have found I also like more challenging trails and perhaps wouldn't mind getting into mountain biking, however, don't want to run out and buy a third bike. Plus I know my wife wouldn't be able to get into it as much as I would. Guys, say what you want, but I do enjoy doing things with her and have to take that into consideration.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

You?

I used to think exactly like that when I only road ATB, but then I bought a pair of slicks for my MTB and then I bought a road bike, because they both kick ass, in a nutshell.

Flying down a groomer and crusing on a fast road bike are two totally different things, because on the road bike, you're moving under your own power. Explaining the attraction to road biking is hard to do, it's one of those things in life (like sex, war and mountain climbing) that you have to experience first hand.

I do both trail and road riding, and last year I started getting braver on some balance stunts and drops, but nothing serious. I have nightmares of folding my frame or tacoing my wheels.

I ride on the road a lot now, because I often ride by myself and came to the determination that, despite the danger posed by traffic, at least if I have a horrific crash on the road, someone will see me and maybe even at some point call for help

I crash alone in the middle of the woods and become incapcitated, I am SOL.

That and I'm training for the PMC again.

dmc

All over the Catskills and DH at Hunter (Riding the lifts)

mlctvt

Explaining the attraction to road biking is hard to do, it's one of those things in life (like sex, war and mountain climbing) that you have to experience first hand.

+1 it is hard to explain. For me Road riding allows me to zone out and forget all of the daily stresses in life. It's just you and the bike. You concentrate on the next hill, your breathing, the beautiful scenery, the thrill of descending at over 50MPH (73 feet per second).
Riding with others in a pace line, with wheels 2-4 inches apart can really get interesting. There is nothing like the thrill of being able to sustain over 28MPH without too much effort over long distances.
My wife and I just happen to be about equal riders. Although she can climb incredibly fast due to her size and I descend faster due to weighing a lot more. It's something, like skiing, that we share and both enjoy doing together.
I mountain bike too and it's totally different , it takes much more concentration! It used to be my winter activity but since taking up skiing again I haven't got out much the last few winters. Plus my wife hates technical single-track, she says there's just too many injuries involved. I really can't argue with that. .....Road biking works for both of us. Now I'm ready for tonight’s 25-30 miles....

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That said I've been wanting to give the roadie thing a shot too. On the few occasions that I get my MTB on the road or even a smooth section of dirt road I like to pop up to the big chain ring and let 'er run. I like the speed aspect, it seems like it would be even more fun on a bike that was meant for that kind of riding. I do worry about the cars, but the only reason I haven't given it a serious shot is that I just can't afford to get another bike... ;)
I don't think I knew that.

Cars scare me. No road biking for me. I've taken my MTB on the road a little bit but I wouldn't make a habit of that. I have a friend who ran a spinning studio and road biked who got hit by a car last year... and is still in pain and had to close her studio. :(

MTB is nice because it gets me into the peace of the woods and away from the crazy world. Plus when I MTB, the kids can't come along. That's a plus many days. ;) (Though I have towed them in a bike trailer on a rail trail before....)

MR. evil

MTB all the way, I just find riding on the road too boring. I like the challenge and technical aspects of MTB. I also just love being out in the woods

MR. evil

An architect would say something dumb like that.

Thats big talk from an engineer that couldn't hack it in the design side of the proffesion and had to go hide in the research community.

Warp Daddy

road biking mostly along teh St Lawrence River in teh 1000Island region or up arounf various Canadian cities ( Ottawa along the Rideau Canal Bikeway , Kingston -Gananoque - Brockville region on 1000 IS bike trail .

We both biked all over Cape Cod Daily when we were there for 8 weeks a summer ago Frankly we only used the car on the Cape as needed

MRGisevil

No that would be you for dissing everybody on our ride last weekend. You are coming Sunday, aren't you?

OH SNAP! Greg, why're you hating on me? I'm too pretty for hate :*(

I kid, I kid, but not about the pretty part. I'd love to come riding with you mucky mucks- I miss you guys and all your crazy antics! But, alas- I will be gracing the office with my presense this weekend. Again. Try and do something crazy, stupid or an amalgamation of the two on my behalf though!

Greg

Staff member
OH SNAP! Greg, why're you hating on me? I'm too pretty for hate :*(

I kid, I kid, but not about the pretty part. I'd love to come riding with you mucky mucks- I miss you guys and all your crazy antics! But, alas- I will be gracing the office with my presense this weekend. Again. Try and do something crazy, stupid or an amalgamation of the two on my behalf though!

I knew it. You are scared that a couple newbs like Jeff and me will school you. Just like I thought... :roll:

;)

Have fun working for the man! But don't miss too many rides or that schooling thing I'm just ribbing you about may actually become a reality! :-o