• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holt's Ledge - Lyme Center, NH

Jonni

Date Hiked: 6/5/2008

Trail(s) Hiked: Appalachian Trail, Holt's Ledge Spur

Hike Number: 4

Total Distance Traveled: 2.3 Miles (2.2 right from the trailhead on the side of the road)

Difficulty: Easy

Conditions: Good

Special Equipment Required: None.

Trip Report: A little late, but I figured that it was better late than never. My original plan was to get this little hike done earlier in the week to kind of prepare myself for my next 4Ker to be hiked the proceeding weekend, but due to the weather and stuff that needed to be done at home I wasn't able to get to it until this Thursday. Weather was very nice for this hike and the bugs were bearable. First a little about the hike:

Holt's Ledge is located on the AT right where it goes over Holt's side of Dartmouth Skiway in Lyme Center, NH. It's a short, but quite rewarding hike giving some nice views toward the east into the small valley and adjoining mountains. The ledge itself is quite abrupt in that when the AT actually gets to it if it weren't for the small branches and small bushes, the trail would appear to just go off into the abyss.

I started off on this hike late in the afternoon from the roadside parking lot for Dartmouth Skiway, as many guide books had told me that parking along the road is OK, but is frowned upon. Gaining about 1000 feet over its 1.1 mile length it's starts with an easy to moderate grade growing easier the further you get from the road. At 0.4 miles you cross a Jeep road and in another 300 feet or so is the junction for the side path to the Trapper John Shelter (0.3 miles one-way). I originally wanted to take a side trip to see that, but it was getting later in the day and I still had some house work to do at home in Sunapee.

Continuing up the trail was pretty easy until crossing a small stream, probably at about 0.6 or 0.7 miles from the trailhead when the trail swings left and begins to climb at a steady moderate to semi difficult pitch up to the ledges. Reaching the T in the trail the AT goes right and a side path leads left to the open, fenced in ledges. The side path is growing in, but is still quite passable. I also followed the rest of the side path to the top of the Holt's Double chair about 150' from the ledges. Spent about 10 minutes up there and returned the way I came. Total hike time was about 1.5 to 2 hours. Pictures to follow.

Photos:

Cool Salamander on the trail
holts1.jpg

View from the Ledges
holts2.jpg

View from the Ledges
holts3.jpg

Last edited: