• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most favorite things about skiing/boarding

dmc

Enough of this whats our "least favorite" stuff - let's start the week out positive!!!

My favorite thing about snowboarding is when I'm riding on a powder day..
The excitment and intensity of everyone - the wait for the chair to open...
And BANG - You free!!!

I always love to make surf turns of drifts.... Or just high speed cruise on chopped pow... Faceshots make me laugh...
Riding fresh under the lift with people hooting and hollering above...

Great day yesterday!!!!

Vortex

I like a 40 degree day in March Mid week no crowds sun shinnin. Burgers cooking outside. Ow having it snow the day before would be nice also. A positive thread :idea:

bvibert

Staff member
Man I wish I got out yesterday, I've yet to experience a pow day :(

I really like the free feeling of ripping down an uncrowded run. I think my most favorite part of it is the challenge though. I love conquering new terrain and feeling like I'm improving. Its great when when you've been working on a technique or whatever and it finally just clicks!

DEVO

Turning.....short turns, long turns, VERY long turns,.....love it

Oh yeah, and powder days!

Oh yeah, and skiing with my kids now (my 5 yr old started this season, and has already become confident on intermediates after 4 days) !

Oh yeah and tree skiing!

Oh yeah and tuning our skiis. I really like tuning my own skis!

Oh yeah and skiing with a bunch of friends!

Oh yeah and AIR! Big jumps, little jumps....

Oh yeah and bumps, not my strongest discipline, but still love 'em!

I know , I know....this was supposed to be about a favorite part of skiing, but I just kept thinking of more favorite things......

Oh yeah and gear... love looking at, reading about , BUYING gear!

Oh yeah and ski towns!

Oh yeah and speed, the kind that makes your eyes tear!

Oh yeah and on and on and on and on............................

thetrailboss

Staff member
bvibert said:
Man I wish I got out yesterday, I've yet to experience a pow day :(

I really like the free feeling of ripping down an uncrowded run. I think my most favorite part of it is the challenge though. I love conquering new terrain and feeling like I'm improving. Its great when when you've been working on a technique or whatever and it finally just clicks!

Great skiing with you, Bvibert!!! :D

I was at Pat's yesterday...in Southern NH. The powder was nice but it ended up being 6 inches of pow on top of ice underneath...so some spots were nice and others weren't. The freezing fog was yuck as well :blink:

golfngord

powda

I live in Ontario and usually ride on frozen grannular or ice. I skiied on powder at Bretton Woods last year and then realized why people board.One of the best days I have had. I will be in N Conway middle on March and hope for at least one day like that again.
Keep snowing.
Gord

hammer

bvibert said:
I think my most favorite part of it is the challenge though. I love conquering new terrain and feeling like I'm improving. Its great when when you've been working on a technique or whatever and it finally just clicks!
The challenge is what does it for me. It's also great when I can just cruise along with my family...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I personally enjoy how dynamic the sport is...no two days are the same and that makes it interesting. The sport is also one that you can do at your own pace.

dmc

I also really enjoy bad weather...
Sitting on the side of a mountain in 50MPH wind with snow pelting...

Awesome!!!

RISkier

Gets me off my duff and outside during the wintertime.

Makes winter a very enjoyable time of the year instead of a dreaded time of the year.

It's a personal challenge, but a challenge that even an old codger like me can approach at my own pace. I'm certainly not a strong skier, still really struggle in ice and crud and likely will never be a real expert, but I'm amazed at the progress my wife and I have made in the 3 years we've been skiing.

I love the mountain views and the fresh air. Haven't been on a mountain that had a bad view yet. While some may be more spectaular than others, it's all good.

It's become a joint passion for my wife and I. Before we started skiing she had her hobbies and I had mine. Now we ski together, plan ski vacations together, buy each other ski-related gear or clothing for birthdays and Christmas. And somehow we seem to just crack each other up while riding the lifts.

And speaking of vacations. I've never been that much on traveling for traveling's sake. A week of just seeing the sites is about 6-days too many. But mix in a few days of skiing and yahoo.

Greg

Staff member
You know, there are many things I could list, e.g. the challenge, scenery, camaraderie of skiing with others, the solitude of skiing solo, etc. I could go on and on, but if I had to sum it all up, I would have to say it's the sense of peace I feel when skiing. All the stresses of everyday life instantly vanish after that first turn...

dmc

Favorite Ski sayings...

Last run of the day when nobodies watching!!

i love that!

tekweezle

Skiing can be the next best thing to flying there is. especially when you are doing highspeed carving and just flying down the slope.

there is nothing i find more satisfying than seeing people get over their inherent fear of heights, lack of control and just "get it..

skiing helps me reconnect with nature in a way and revel in it;s beauty. it almost feels like a "religeous " experience in a way. yeah, i know it sounds corny......

Greg

Staff member
tekweezle said:
it almost feels like a "religeous " experience in a way. yeah, i know it sounds corny......
I get what you're saying. Again for me, I find more peace on the slopes on a Sunday morning than I would in some church. :eek: Save me a seat in purgatory, I guess... ;)

dmc

Greg said:
tekweezle said:
it almost feels like a "religeous " experience in a way. yeah, i know it sounds corny......
I get what you're saying. Again for me, I find more peace on the slopes on a Sunday morning than I would in some church. :eek: Save me a seat in purgatory, I guess... ;)

The pope used to ski..
I think your OK... :)

tekweezle

i guess it;s not surprising that many religeons and cultures around the world revere the mountains in some way. it doesn;t matter what your background is because we all can appreciate nature;s beauty.

there is definitely something peaceful about it-especially those moments when you find yourself on some winding trail all alone.

tekweezle

let me post something about what i do like about skiing-

skiing and boarding are activities that can bring people from all walks of life together to enjoy. I am amazed that the diversity of people I meet when talking with them on the ski lift or the gondola. we all come from different walks of life, ages and even salary brackets but we do have something in common that we can talk passionately about for the entire ride.

there is no "right way" or "wrong way" to enjoy the sport. other than being mindful and courteous to others. that;s should not be so hard to do.

I was at Killington early on in my ski career. the weather was ridiculously warm one day and extremely feezing the next day. being city dwellers and not too prepared, our front wheel drive cars got stuck in the mud going up a hill toward the house we rented on the warm day. not only did some guys help us extract the car from the side of the road(it was 2 honda civic) by lifting it up, a couple in an SUV with VT plates kindly ferried us up to the house since our car could not make it.

the next day, I got talked into going down the superstar trail as they were blowing snow on a sheet of solid ice. I slipped a ski and tumbled about 500 feet. i could not retrieve so I went to the base lodge. the patrol guy said "it happens" and gave me a comp rental ticket. i skied the rest of the day and at the end, i picked up my one ski at the shop and noticed they had retireved my missing ski behind the counter while i was waiting for the bus.

skidbump

when its 20 below and the air crisp..when its so cold it hard to breath ...the sound of bone dry snow under my skis ...listening to the kids cry cause its so cold "i do have a sadistic side"..the feeling of floating ...the days where i thought that if this was my last day on earth that i had truly lived and hoping that heaven was just another ski area but was open 12 month of the year

ALLSKIING

Staff member
dmc said:
I also really enjoy bad weather...
Sitting on the side of a mountain in 50MPH wind with snow pelting...

Awesome!!!
I am glad you said it first ( people can look at me like I have to heads when I say this stuff) but its true I also love bad weather...like bring it on..Awesome!!!!