• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Solstice hike/Lake willoughby cirque

kingdom-tele

June 21

atttepted to hike the five peaks with views of willoughby, beautiful day, little rain, little sun, little breeze, great pics and views. couldn't find the lookout/telegraph trail on the north side of bald, so after 90 minutes of fighting waist high rasberry bushes and walking way to many overgrown skidder lanes we decided to can it and drive around to long pond. quick scoot over to haystack, back around to pisgah via east trail (which is very well marked), up and over to the south end, up mt hor in the rain which led to the greenest pictures I have ever taken, just an aside but the mt hor woods were some of the best around IMO, ate lunch staring across to pisgah( and great view of burke) and watched the rain move through the valley, the section from mt hor to moose mtn was equally beautiful with deep ravines and a brook that was better than any air conditioner. Having never been to moose mtn I didn't expect much, maybe it was the fun we were having but this little mtn is one of my favoites now, unique view of the four peaks and the lake, deep lush woods and one hell of an angry mama grouse nesting just off the trail. descended to the wheeler pond lookout and then out to the road, after a soak in the stream we decided to leave wheeler for another day and head for the car 2 miles down the road where the cold beer was calling.

so only covered 3 of the 5, but had a blast, a couple tedious road walks, one lost trail, but 15 miles of laughs

the days are getting shorter