Find me a bike

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Find me a bike

Find me a bike

FSR and $1,500ish for a max price. As anyone who rode with me Sunday know, I know absolutely nothing about bikes. What I do know though is a want a bike that can be hucked and beaten on. Basically I think my riding style is going to become like my how I ski, so huck anything within reason, and basically just be all around stupid. I do want something that will climb decently though, so nothing competely DH. I only weigh a 135 pounds so I really don't need anything that tough. It doesn't need to be super light either since I'll still have my bike I rode Sunday if I want to do a ton of hill climing and I'm in pretty good shape anyway.

Basically give me any insight you have and post any awesome deals you find. I have basically all summer to figure this out and I'm in no rush at all, I just figured I would get some opinions before I started browsing aimlessly.

Talk to MrEvil. He seems to be the most dialed in on the latest stuff. From other posts I know he likes http://www.ibexbikes.com/ and it seems you definitely get more for you dough from them. I'll be checking them out when I look for a new bike.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    FSR and $1,500ish for a max price. .
    what do you mean by FSR?

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    what do you mean by FSR?
    Full suspension. Maybe only Specialized uses the term FSR? Or I just thought it might full suspension and it might be something else?

what do you mean by FSR?
    Obviously, he means Full Suspension Radicalness....
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    Full suspension. Maybe only Specialized uses the term FSR? Or I just thought it might full suspension and it might be something else?
    The common wisdom (that I happen to agree with) is that you should ride a Hard tail w/ front suspension for a few years before moving to FS. Starting off on a HT will also make you a much better rider when you eventually move onto a FS.

Also, unless you do get a smoking deal online, $1500 will not get you much of a FS bike.

This bike is well under you budget, and a really nice HT. This would be my recommendation. Also, if you want to move up to FS in a season or two you wouldn’t have spent to much money
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

Same as bike above with much better components & suspension. If you want to eventually move up to FS I wouldn’t waste the extra cash on this bike. But if you plan on riding this for more than a couple of seasons spend the extra money and get this one
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-Details.html

The is a very nice FS rig with a very nice components package.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-...7-Details.html

Same as bike above but with better components and suspension. Also right at your max budget. If you are determined to go FS get this one, the extra money will pay for itself in the long run
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html

I also just saw an add on MTBR for a used Ibex Atas (same exact bike I have) for $800. The Atlas model is a much beefier bike than the Asta. It is meant to take serious abuse, but is also much heavier. But the Asta is no joke. I know some Down Hill guys in N. California the bough an Asta a couple of years ago just to check it out. They beat the tar out of it on DH style rides. The bike is still going strong.

Also, unless you do get a smoking deal online, $1500 will not get you much of a FS bike.
    Didn't you pay quite a bit less than that for your bike? The recommended budget on the bike thing just seems to be going up and up. Sure, $1,500 is not top of the line, but is it truly fair to say that it's "not much" of a FS bike?
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Didn't you pay quite a bit less than that for your bike? The recommended budget on the bike thing just seems to be going up and up. Sure, $1,500 is not top of the line, but is it truly fair to say that it's "not much" of a FS bike?
    Yes my bike was less than that, but I also got a great deal online. At a bike shop, $1500 is the very low end for FS. With something like an Ibex ,or a close out deal online you can get a nice bike for $1500. Even though I only paid $1100 for my bike (on sale from $1300) it would have gone for close to $2000 in a bike shop.

Thread Information