• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Find me a bike

awf170

Any recommendations for a chain guard? Should I get a chain guide also? I'm ditching the big ring completely. Lynn woods is just too rocky to have a big ring, and it is pretty useless on the stuff I ride.

cbcbd

MKIII:
ihmk3comp.jpg
Awesome choice, dude!

eatskisleep

Any recommendations for a chain guard? Should I get a chain guide also? I'm ditching the big ring completely. Lynn woods is just too rocky to have a big ring, and it is pretty useless on the stuff I ride.

If you are running the proper chain tension you shouldn't need a chain guide. I've dropped the chain on my Banshee all of maybe two times and about the same on the Big Hit without running a guide. They are mainly just extra weight and money especially if you want to run a guide and have two chainrings up front. The E13 DRS is an example of it. On the other hand, I think that a bashguard (in place of the outer ring) is a must, they usually don't add too much weight either.

awf170

If you are running the proper chain tension you shouldn't need a chain guide. I've dropped the chain on my Banshee all of maybe two times and about the same on the Big Hit without running a guide. They are mainly just extra weight and money especially if you want to run a guide and have two chainrings up front. The E13 DRS is an example of it. On the other hand, I think that a bashguard (in place of the outer ring) is a must, they usually don't add too much weight either.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Any recommendations for a bashguard or are they all basically the same?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You know, I know of not one person that rides with a bash guard.

I don't think they're a must. As a matter of fact, some of the cross country riding we do, you really want that big ring. Especially when we get lost and have to ride back on the road.

At Killington, the big ring is also key. It makes some slightly inclined double track run outs bearable.

Greg

Staff member

I know I'm newly reintroduced into MTB so obviously take my opinions with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that it makes sense to leave the big ring on and just sacrifice it as a bash guard. Yeah, the teeth will get screwed up, but at least it's there if you need it. I know some will argue you get more clearance with a bash guard, but really, how much? 1/2"? 3/4"? Seems a bit negligible.

awf170

I don't think they're a must. As a matter of fact, some of the cross country riding we do, you really want that big ring. Especially when we get lost and have to ride back on the road.

At Killington, the big ring is also key. It makes some slightly inclined double track run outs bearable.

Don't worry, I like to suffer. Seriously though, I really can't have a big ring in Lynn woods, you need as much clearance as possible on this stuff.

Greg, won't a chain guard be a lot smoother? It will slide over stuff instead of getting stuck like a ring.

Greg

Staff member
Greg, won't a chain guard be a lot smoother? It will slide over stuff instead of getting stuck like a ring.

Rocks? Yeah. But I've found that the big ring actually grips onto logs and helps pull you over if you happen to hit one too slow.

Greg

Staff member
Make senses. But 95% of the time I will be hitting rocks, not logs.

How about you ride the bike for a bit to determine if you need the bash guard. after all, you just forked over a good amount of dough. If so, then change out the big ring.

Anyway, you must be pumped!

awf170

Hahaha, he'd have to figure out how to change it, and then realize he doesn't have the tools to do so... :dunce:

I have plenty of tools. I just have no idea how to use them. :dunce: But luckily my dad knows how to work on a bike so I'll be all set. (He could of fixed up my stumpjumper but he thinks it is a lost cause so he refuses to work on it)

Greg, I'm pretty sure I'll wait a little on the chain guard, but I'm almost positive I'll want it. I'm just getting antsy. And yes I'm quite pumped on the new bike.

Out of the 13 people I rode with yesterday only one didn't have a chain guard, and that was because he was on a singlespeed. Heck I don't think anyone even had a big ring.

Last edited:

eatskisleep

Unless you are really into fast XC and road riding, you won't need a big ring, not one person I ride with uses one. Bash guard will help you slide over rocks and logs, chainring will get caught. IMOP you don't need a chainguide (different than just a bashguard). You can get a bashguard for like $25, one of the first things I would put on that bike...
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1278-Bashguards.aspx

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Unless you are really into fast XC and road riding, you won't need a big ring, not one person I ride with uses one. Bash guard will help you slide over rocks and logs, chainring will get caught. IMOP you don't need a chainguide (different than just a bashguard). You can get a bashguard for like $25, one of the first things I would put on that bike...
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1278-Bashguards.aspx

This....

He just might be. No sense in ditching the chainring and blowing the extra $25, IMO, the returns just aren't there. He'll want it if he rides at all with nlmasopust.

tjf67

Cant he just use the big ring as a bash guard. I dont really know what you guys are referring to. I personally like the tooth marks I leave over the logs. Big rocks I get a little cringe going when I smash over them I try to go on the lite side when I am going over rocks.
The big ring does come in handy when you are schleping 10 miles to get to the trails.

awf170

Cant he just use the big ring as a bash guard. I dont really know what you guys are referring to. I personally like the tooth marks I leave over the logs. Big rocks I get a little cringe going when I smash over them I try to go on the lite side when I am going over rocks.
The big ring does come in handy when you are schleping 10 miles to get to the trails.

Yeah log are all right, but like I said earlier, 95% of the time I will be hitting rocks.

I'm still going to wait to get a bash guard, but I'm pretty convinced that I need one.

cbcbd

I'd get a bashguard... kept my chainring and never use it, other than to crunch over rocks/logs. Its beat to hell now so its just pointless for me to worry about it now.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah log are all right, but like I said earlier, 95% of the time I will be hitting rocks.

I'm still going to wait to get a bash guard, but I'm pretty convinced that I need one.

Why does everyone keep hitting shit with their cranks anyway? Just don't hit shit. Ride better.

bvibert

Staff member
Every time I ride my big ring starts to resemble a bash guard more and more... ;)

I did use my big ring on my last ride though, so I guess it still functions.